Mcintosh Amp w/ ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublin25

Reaction score
Is Mcintosh a good combo with ML speakers? I have the Vistas now, but can see in the near future upgrading to Summit X. I was inititally interested in the MC303. TIA

I certainly think so and Martin Logan does a lot of demo's using McIntosh gear. However, the only way you'll know for sure is to listen for yourself.

For what it's worth, there are quite a few of us Mac owners here. I wouldn't claim that it's the best possible choice (and woe to anyone peddling such absolutism on this or any other audio forum), but it is certainly deserving of consideration.

I'll have to second what CCH posts. Considering your looking at a 3 Ch. amp, three used 501's will be equal to or less than the 303. If you have the room it may be another option to consider. Let your ears guide you!

Gordon

Discounts?

Thanks for the info... I looked into it a litle more - and think I want to go with an MC252 or MC402 initially, then get the 5 channel for centers and rears eventually.

Do you guys know what a typical discount is on new Mcintosh equipment from a dealer? On most equipment 10-20% is typical - but not sure on Mac stuff... I purchased all my current equipment from the two MAC dealers in town. So I have an established relationship with them.

TIA

Not sure what the purpose of your post is - sounds like you already made your decision. If you already like Mac and seeking to confirm your opinion, I think you got your answers. Sure Mac sounds good with ML, but so does a lot of other stuff. Mac SS amps have a lot of power and Logans like power - if that's your cup of tea. My suggestion would be to listen to a lot of other stuff also. People on this site like other brands like Pass, Sanders, CJ, Bryston, etc. , and many other brands.

Their tubed mc 275 is pretty good also, but to my ears, the bat vk55 smokes it.

My recommendation is to try disconfirm your opinion and try as many other amps with similar specs you can find. If you like mac in the end, great. But along your journey you may find something better for the same money.

Have Fun!

try this

How about VTL? mb 450,mb185 225 watts/channel
gregadd:cool:

Last edited:
My recommendation is to try disconfirm your opinion and try as many other amps with similar specs you can find. If you like mac in the end, great. But along your journey you may find something better for the same money.

Have Fun!

Good advice David. He may find something for more, less or the same. The sky is the limit or at least the depth of the pocket!

My experience with my dealer has been very good. Discounts have ranged from 5-40% depending on what I was buying. I try to support B&M companies even if it costs me a bit more up front.

Gordon

Had really good luck with the 252 hooked up to Spire, Summit and CLX...

So the 252 had enough finesse for the CLX? I have not heard it but that kinda surprises me. I have to qualify that I have not heard the CLX yet, maybe soon with Dave at Overture.

Gordon

... I looked into it a litle more - and think I want to go with an MC252 or MC402 initially, then get the 5 channel for centers and rears eventually.

TIA

FWIW, I have the MC402 driving my Prodigies, and the MC205 5-channel amp taking care of my Theater and 4 Scripts. Works well for me.

Based on what I have read and heard - those are the mac products I would buy if I decide to go with mac. The purpose of my post is for others to provide and opinion on those particular products and offer suggestions of other brands/amps I should audition.

Back