Martin Logans for the rest of the house

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG

Reaction score
OK... we all have killer audio/home theater rooms highlighting the power of great Martin Logan speakers... what about the rest of the house?

My house was built only a few years ago and I had the thing pre-wired for just about everything... Ethernet, speaker, phone, video, secuirty, going to just about every room.

But I couldn't afford to 'light' up the distributed music part of that equation.

I have a home server with 1TB of lossless CDs which I'd like to listen to throughout the house and by the pool. (Yes I'm sure I could figure out how to distribute vinyl as well... but that's another thread :cool: )

Currently thinking Sonos is a good solution... but what about speakers?

I'm looking for some guidance on in-ceiling speakers... I see that our friends at ML have come out w/ a line Helos (10, 20, 100?). Has anyone installed? Are there better in-ceiling speakers for the money?

Any insight and advice is appreciated

I did something similar, using Sonos. I bought the unamplified controllers, paired with older signal sensing Rotel amps, and B&W bookshelf speakers. Outside, paired with Niles speakers. Good bang for the buck, particularly for back ground music. Any additional budget will get filtered back into the main system, where the increase is quality will be really noticeable.

You can do in ceiling speakers if aesthetics require that route, but I think you get better bang for the buck with stand alone (and you can buy them used too)

btw, Sonos has audio inputs, which would allow you to distribute vinyl, but obviously quality would be comprimised. For background music, probably not an issue.

I have been shopping for inwall / onwall speakers for a new home under construction.

I have not been able to find inceiling ML's to demo.

However, the large inwalls like the Voyage really do sound terrific. I like ML speakers, but do not yet own any. I think my opinions are pretty unbiased, since I'd buy any brand I find I like. But the Voyage is the best sounding inwall I'd heard so far. Not cheap, and you need the right walls / room layout to use them effectively.

The inceiling speakers I've heard, from every company, are simply too small to give you any decent bass. There are a LOT of good sounding ones out there, very suitable for background music, but not for anything more than that. The quality does vary quite a bit, so you really do have to track down and demo as many as you can to just listen.

The frescoes are an on-wall speaker that NEED a bass. The frescoe-i is hugely better than the earlier version. They really do sound surprisingly good for their size. Quite good in fact, when coupled with a Grotto, and with the bass crossover set up to at least 100.

For my ear, the Vignettes are useful only for the surrounds, but play that role well.

Thanks everyone... I'll post with decision an experience

Hopefully it will be good news :music:

Scott-
Don't know if you have looked but I love my Helos 100s (they come in three or four sizes/ prices now). They match up with my Aerius i with no complaints. I am using them as rear channels but they sound great and voices are replicated great and sound like the person is right next to you. Might give them a demo.
Nik
Lubbock, Tx

Nik, thx for the insight... I will give them a listen... My plan is to use them as stand alone in other rooms. Kitchen, living room etc. Of course, work and vacation will make this a December reality.... sigh

Latest posts

Back