Martin Logan Serial Number Decoder - Collaborative Update Project

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps I missed it, but one of my 15A Renaissance Serial Numbers is: CBT0223 FE. I think the CB is to designate the 15A, and the latter (FE) may be the code for the finish. Perhaps the 223 is the sequence number of 15A speakers produced during the month of ?).( Don't know about the T or the zero.

Thoughts?

Perhaps I missed it, but one of my 15A Renaissance Serial Numbers is: CBT0223 FE. I think the CB is to designate the 15A, and the latter (FE) may be the code for the finish. Perhaps the 223 is the sequence number of 15A speakers produced during the month of ?).( Don't know about the T or the zero.

Thoughts?
Would love to know as then I would be able to know the birthdate of my 15's as well!!! (y)

Thoughts?
Looks like a totally new system. If you email Martin Logan, they should let you know about your serial number and maybe provide us some insight into how to read the new ones.

Thanks for adding that note :)
Minor quibble, the PDF says "pre-1988" whereas it should say "pre-1989" as you correctly noted in the quote.
Thanks TheSequel, will be corrected in the next edition.

Thanks Len44, very interesting.
Note that the S/N provided for a pair of Renaissance 15A in this Stereophile test of December 2016 is completely different from yours : AFL9149857105, AFL9149858105
That would mean, since the Renaissance 15A was introduced in September 2016, that Martin Logan changed again their numbering scheme, now coded with 9 (or 13 ?) characters.

=> Could anybody who bought a 2016 and beyond Martin Logan model provide his S/N, so that I can document the actual end date of the 1989++ numbering scheme ?

=> Could anybody who bought a 2016 and beyond Martin Logan model provide his S/N, so that I can document the actual end date of the 1989++ numbering scheme ?
ESL 15A purchased July, 2020
AFL5332514L04
AFL5332515L04

Expression 13A purchased February 2019: AFJ93154xxL01
Manufactured a couple months prior to ship date.
(xx=digits removed)

Update! Actual SNs are:

AFM9442274N01 and AFM9442275N01

I had thought the number on the shipping box (that said "Serial Number" was the actual serial. Ron at ML was kind enough to assist.

Great suggestion, Robert!

Thanks Len44, ttocs, BDH55.
Based on your inputs, the Renaissance ESL models use a new 13 Characters coding, which started in 2016.
Not clear if this new numbering scheme started for all new loudspeakers manufactured after 1/1/2016 (or some other calendar date), or if it started with item #1 of a new model type (Renaissance ESL ?) and then spread as new types were introduced. From a manufacturing point of view, the first would make more sense.

AFAIK it seems to be something like : AAB9999999C88
Meaning is not obvious, could be something like :
AA -> model family type -> AF : Renaissance​
B -> ???manufacturing year???​
9999999 -> ???manufacturing date & unit number???​
C88 -> ???appearance???​

Note that some S/Ns found on the Internet do not follow at all this supposed numbering scheme.
For instance this Renaissance ESL 15A : RENPP005CES16.
Martin Logan could also have decided on "random" S/Ns, departing from previous schemes, which had meaningful group of characters (letters or digits).
If somebody has more information or better suggestions...

PS : it would be SOOO MUCH SIMPLER if Martin Logan provided at last an "official decoder", possibly as an internet link.

Thanks Len44, ttocs, BDH55.
Based on your inputs, the Renaissance ESL models use a new 13 Characters coding, which started in 2016.
Not clear if this new numbering scheme started for all new loudspeakers manufactured after 1/1/2016 (or some other calendar date), or if it started with item #1 of a new model type (Renaissance ESL ?) and then spread as new types were introduced. From a manufacturing point of view, the first would make more sense.

AFAIK it seems to be something like : AAB9999999C88
Meaning is not obvious, could be something like :
AA -> model family type -> AF : Renaissance​
B -> ???manufacturing year???​
9999999 -> ???manufacturing date & unit number???​
C88 -> ???appearance???​

Note that some S/Ns found on the Internet do not follow at all this supposed numbering scheme.
For instance this Renaissance ESL 15A : RENPP005CES16.
Martin Logan could also have decided on "random" S/Ns, departing from previous schemes, which had meaningful group of characters (letters or digits).
If somebody has more information or better suggestions...

PS : it would be SOOO MUCH SIMPLER if Martin Logan provided at last an "official decoder", possibly as an internet link.
I just remembered that soon after delivery I asked ML when my speakers were built and if the date was coded into the serial number. Here is the response:
"Yes. The date is represented at the end of the serial number. The L indicates 2019 and the 01 indicates the month so January of 2019!"

I just remembered that soon after delivery I asked ML when my speakers were built and if the date was coded into the serial number. Here is the response:
"Yes. The date is represented at the end of the serial number. The L indicates 2019 and the 01 indicates the month so January of 2019!"
Thanks for the additional information ttocs, but unfortunately this does not seem compatible with several of the S/N already collected : RENPP005CES16, AFL9149857105.
The last one could be made compatible if AFL9149857105 was incorrectly spelled, and was instead AFL9149857i05.
But no way RENPP005CES16 would fit : 2026 indeed !.

Thanks for the additional information ttocs, but unfortunately this does not seem compatible with several of the S/N already collected : RENPP005CES16, AFL9149857105.
The last one could be made compatible if AFL9149857105 was incorrectly spelled, and was instead AFL9149857i05.
But no way RENPP005CES16 would fit : 2026 indeed !.
I might be stating the obvious here, but, do you think the "CES" in that serial number could be a prototype for the Consumer Electronics Show? Nothing about that sequence makes sense unless low production/prototype are considered.

Interesting - I see that the solo SL3 in the doorway has the same spar arrangement that my replacement Sequel (manuf in 1998) panels had. I'll call it the 3-4-3 pattern for the (3 small, 4 large, 3 small). That's not counting the leftover even smaller strips at the top and bottom of panel. The original sequel and most of the Sequel II's I've seen have other patterns.

For the sake of completeness, below is a pic of my original Sequel (1988) panels vs. the 1998 replacements.
PXL_20220325_203145303.jpg

I might be stating the obvious here, but, do you think the "CES" in that serial number could be a prototype for the Consumer Electronics Show? Nothing about that sequence makes sense unless low production/prototype are considered.
Interesting idea, you may be right 🎯.
But I would be more comfortable with more "regular" samples, with too few samples it is too easy to make them match any ad hoc theory...

Hi members! Anyone that can help me with the age on a pair of Electromotion speakers I just bought used? Seems the decoder doesn’t have Electromotion in it. The serial number (of one of the speakers) is ABG6000856E04.

I suspect the speakers are at least 5 or 6 years old.

Grateful for any help.

Thanks, Ole

Hi members! Anyone that can help me with the age on a pair of Electromotion speakers I just bought used? Seems the decoder doesn’t have Electromotion in it. The serial number (of one of the speakers) is ABG6000856E04.

I suspect the speakers are at least 5 or 6 years old.

Grateful for any help.

Thanks, Ole
You can contact ML service and they will let you know the date it was serviced.

Back