Parasound A31 Gain setting maybe...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejspain

Reaction score
Today was the first time watching a movie while breaking in the A31. Its connected to the pre-outs of my receiver (Marantz Cinema 50). I have the gains set to max on all 3 channels. Using the amp to drive my LCR, I have a distinct sound delay panning across the LCR only watching a movie. No the entire time but randomely. No delays watching TV in multi-channel stereo TV, or 2 channel music. Any idea what it could be?

Last edited:
Marantz Cinema 50. Ran room correction.
Was correction run before or after the A31 was connected to the pre-outs? I assume it was after, but just looking for the confirmation to rule out the timing difference.

So, what is the source for the movie? Disc, streaming? Kinda grasping at straws here, but any info might help.

Was correction run before or after the A31 was connected to the pre-outs? I assume it was after, but just looking for the confirmation to rule out the timing difference.

So, what is the source for the movie? Disc, streaming? Kinda grasping at straws here, but any info might help.
Crap you know what...I have not ran Audessey since connecting the amp :oops:. Maybe that could correct my timing issue?? Streaming movies via Plex direct connected over a gig network.

What codecs are being used to decode the audio stream for your movies (THX, Atmos, etc.)? There should be a "lip sync" setting (measured in + / - milli-seconds) in the receiver setup.

What codecs are being used to decode the audio stream for your movies (THX, Atmos, etc.)? There should be a "lip sync" setting (measured in + / - milli-seconds) in the receiver setup.
Plex is doing all the codecs (h.264, h.265) for all containers (mp4, mkv, aac, ac3, etc). Its also doing all the transcoding when needed. Plex is running on a pretty beefy Synology NAS. There's a lip sync setting in the receive which I leave set to auto. Should I start with running Audessey then mess with the lip sync if its still off?

ejspain, Interesting, I wasn't considering a lip sync issue as these are usually met with the sound preceding the video. When you said "delay" I took it to mean that some sound was delayed from other sound.

So just to clarify a bit, does it sound like there is some sound that sounds like an echo? Or is it a lip sync issue?

ejspain, Interesting, I wasn't considering a lip sync issue as these are usually met with the sound preceding the video. When you said "delay" I took it to mean that some sound was delayed from other sound.

So just to clarify a bit, does it sound like there is some sound that sounds like an echo? Or is it a lip sync issue?
The best way to describe it...as the movie plays...its completely random...you can hear very slight dips in the sound as it transitions left to right or vice versa...mostly when the volume increases in the track.

The best way to describe it...as the movie plays...its completely random...you can hear very slight dips in the sound as it transitions left to right or vice versa...mostly when the volume increases in the track.
hmmmmm, random to me would mean something like loose connections, or something else that's faulty. Doesn't seem likely that it would be related to lip sync, or room correction which would be doing whatever it would do all the time.

Just a thought. Take the A31 out of the equation just to simplify things and use only the Cinema 50. See what happens.

hmmmmm, random to me would mean something like loose connections, or something else that's faulty. Doesn't seem likely that it would be related to lip sync, or room correction which would be doing whatever it would do all the time.

Just a thought. Take the A31 out of the equation just to simplify things and use only the Cinema 50. See what happens.
I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Back