Marantz MM9000 and Clarity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcteague

Reaction score
I have a set of ML Clarity and have run them through a Marantz MM9000 without any problems to date, but wonder if maybe I'm not getting the full potential from them with this amp. Despite the 5 channel capabilities of the amp, I'm only using it to run the 2 ML's. I am using a Nuforce AVP-17 as a preamp for the system, and run my center through a smaller powered tube amp. My focus is less the whole system and more the ML's since I spend the vast majority of my time listening to 2 channel music.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this amp's use in my system?

Thanks for any help.

I have a set of ML Clarity and have run them through a Marantz MM9000 without any problems to date, but wonder if maybe I'm not getting the full potential from them with this amp. Despite the 5 channel capabilities of the amp, I'm only using it to run the 2 ML's. I am using a Nuforce AVP-17 as a preamp for the system, and run my center through a smaller powered tube amp. My focus is less the whole system and more the ML's since I spend the vast majority of my time listening to 2 channel music.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this amp's use in my system?

Thanks for any help.

Hey... a New Englander... welcome!

The answer to your question is highly subjective... but to kick things off I'll ask why you run just your center through a tube amp? What do you run your surrounds through? (or do you have surrounds?)

If you like tubes and enjoy your system mostly for 2-channel, perhaps that's a valid direction to look into. Personally, I lean toward tubes for 2-channel with Prima Luna driving my 2-channel setup - but I use all SS in my theater. But having said that, I have no bias against SS for 2-channel, and your MM9000 is, based on it's spec sheet, probably quite adequate with discreet outputs and 150W/ch rating. It would help to know what type of music you prefer, how your room is setup, how loud you like to listen, etc.

Cheers

Hi.. so, running without any problems and getting full potential are two different stories. After a few web queries, your Marantz should be fine.

Are you happy with what you're getting right now? If not, there are tons of options and I'm sure you'll hear a lot of them.

I ran with Clarity's for 6 years (still have them). Did I ever believe that I was getting their full potential.. no way. Would have loved to have tried a number of pre & power amp combos. The best setup I personally heard with the Clarity's was with a McIntosh integrated, also demoed them with Bryston, NAD Master series & Jeff Rowland gear.. by far, my fav was the McIntosh. Would love to try the current Mc MA6600 or SimAudio 600i. Possibilities are endless.

No matter what, you'll always be asking yourself that question.. (OK, I do..)
Experiment where you can but most of all, enjoy.

Thanks for the responses.

I do enjoy the tonal characters of tubes, but am quite satisfied with SS power as well. For the center channel power, it just sounds better through my tube than through the Marantz - I'm guessing what is missing from the center in terms of vocals is likely missing from my Marantz but the tube won't run the Clarity's.

I rarely base my decisions on HT though so its somewhat irrelevant - I just don't find the value of my speakers in random noise often produced by movies when compared to good music at loud volumes. In terms of music taste, it ranges from the likes of Tool, Hurt, and similar bands to classics like Pink Floyd and Led Zep to oddities like Porcupine Tree.

Where I find the Marantz lacking is in the speed and general presence of mid-range.

Room setup is 20x10, speakers separated by approximately 13ft with the listening centered about 8 ft from each. One of my problems seems to be that our cleaners keep moving them around each week which has been hard to avoid! Re-positioning them has become a regular event.

Are there any reasonable tube amps that will run these without breaking the bank? I do have access to 2 classic McIntosh monoblocks that might be worth trying. I also have access to 2 custom made "Mirror Image" amps that were used to drive a set of the classic Klipsch monsters (the old ones that stood about 4'x3'). I'll see if I can get specs on the mirror image amps, but the McIntosh are pretty well known.

Thanks for the responses.

I do enjoy the tonal characters of tubes, but am quite satisfied with SS power as well. For the center channel power, it just sounds better through my tube than through the Marantz - I'm guessing what is missing from the center in terms of vocals is likely missing from my Marantz but the tube won't run the Clarity's.

I rarely base my decisions on HT though so its somewhat irrelevant - I just don't find the value of my speakers in random noise often produced by movies when compared to good music at loud volumes. In terms of music taste, it ranges from the likes of Tool, Hurt, and similar bands to classics like Pink Floyd and Led Zep to oddities like Porcupine Tree.

Where I find the Marantz lacking is in the speed and general presence of mid-range.

Room setup is 20x10, speakers separated by approximately 13ft with the listening centered about 8 ft from each. One of my problems seems to be that our cleaners keep moving them around each week which has been hard to avoid! Re-positioning them has become a regular event.

Are there any reasonable tube amps that will run these without breaking the bank? I do have access to 2 classic McIntosh monoblocks that might be worth trying. I also have access to 2 custom made "Mirror Image" amps that were used to drive a set of the classic Klipsch monsters (the old ones that stood about 4'x3'). I'll see if I can get specs on the mirror image amps, but the McIntosh are pretty well known.

Gosh... it's hard to go wrong with Mac tube amps. I'd start there if it were me.

If those mirror-image amps were designed to push old Klipsh speakers, they may not have much power as the old Klipsch models were pretty darn high efficiency if I recall.

Here's some info on the Mirror Image:

http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs.pl?vevol&1175914115&viewitem&o1

My family has a collection of various components and we had a set of these running the mid/bass of a set of Apogee panels. I just spoke with the family hifi master who indicated these would easily run the Clarity - unfortunately the 2 McIntosh are in need of repair - appears the power or output transformers are shot. Think I'll try these, and look at other suggestions people have.

Anyone tried the Emotiva amps?

Here's some info on the Mirror Image:

http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs.pl?vevol&1175914115&viewitem&o1

My family has a collection of various components and we had a set of these running the mid/bass of a set of Apogee panels. I just spoke with the family hifi master who indicated these would easily run the Clarity - unfortunately the 2 McIntosh are in need of repair - appears the power or output transformers are shot. Think I'll try these, and look at other suggestions people have.

Anyone tried the Emotiva amps?

The mere mention of Apogee will have User211 diving into the thread as soon as he reads your post :)

Too bad about the Mac amps... but still, I'd look into repair costs. Those are audio gold in many people's minds. The Mirror Image amps seem capable, I guess, based on the brief comments made on Agon. But having never heard them (of even heard of them), I really can't comment.

It sounds like you have access, or have had access, to some pretty high-end gear... so clearly you have a pretty decent feel for quality gear. I guess the next question is what does "break the bank" mean to you? Once we know your budget, we can start making some specific recommendations.

On the emotiva amps... no, I've never tried them, but given good reviews from owners and various critical reviewers, coupled with the crazy low prices... seems like it's worth investigating at a minimum. I know I've seen some XPA amp pics somewhere on this site too... so we know there's some user experience not far away.

Cheers

Last edited:
I've started pushing to have the McIntosh evaluated for repair costs - they'd be my preference but both options are too far to get my hands on anytime soon. However, I may be able to have the Mirror Image shipped since its only 1 amp versus 2.

I've been exposed to high end gear for many years - but my budget is much different than what was available to me growing up. I could probably have the Apogee if I could fit them in my living room - but they're just too damn big and my wife would hate them. Took me months just to get her to deal with the ML so I know the Apogee are out of the question if I want to stay married.

Unfortunately, my budget probably couldn't get me the above 2 options. I'd be interested in hearing about quality amps in the $1500 range - which I'm assuming there are a fair number.

I've started pushing to have the McIntosh evaluated for repair costs - they'd be my preference but both options are too far to get my hands on anytime soon. However, I may be able to have the Mirror Image shipped since its only 1 amp versus 2.

I've been exposed to high end gear for many years - but my budget is much different than what was available to me growing up. I could probably have the Apogee if I could fit them in my living room - but they're just too damn big and my wife would hate them. Took me months just to get her to deal with the ML so I know the Apogee are out of the question if I want to stay married.

Unfortunately, my budget probably couldn't get me the above 2 options. I'd be interested in hearing about quality amps in the $1500 range - which I'm assuming there are a fair number.

I think you're right to look into the Macs further and frankly, even if you had to wait for a while (and just keep using the Marantz), if the $1500 or so was sufficient for repairs and shipping... I'd take the long, but very promising road.

If that road is just not on the map, then we're looking at $1500ish for a stereo amp (or maybe monoblocks if you can find a good deal). If going new, I would definitely look into the emotiva offerings, they seem hard to beat for the price. If used is acceptable, there's tons of stuff out there. Just go to audiogon and let your keystrokes do the walking. There are some ARCs, Macs, and even a Quicksilver over there right now that all look like they might benefit from a closer look.

Good luck and I'm sure others will have more ideas/recommendations.

Yes, I've been somewhat stuck thus far with the furniture issue, but I may try to resolve that sometime when the wife is away and hope she doesn't notice:ROFL:

I can't wait to finish the garage attic for my sound room:music:

Back