Magnepan 1.6

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjay

Reaction score
I was I my local high end store helping a friend find some entry level speakers, $1000.00 to $2000.00. We tested out a one of the lower price Martin logans, I forget which model, and a couple of Revel bookshelf models. I was also checking out for myself upgrading from Vantages to Summits. I prefer Electrostatic speakers myself so the cone speakers were not to my tastes. The dealer suggested to check out the Magnepan 1.6 speakers to my friend. After listening to the Magnepan 1.6 (they cost $1800) they blew the bookshelfs out of the water and I admitted to my friend they were competitive except for bass response with my Vantages. I love my Vantages but I was suprised at how good the 1.6 speakers were for the price. I would not trade my Vantages for the 1.6 speakers but the 1.6 speakers are real good speakers for the price.
Jim

I have owned a few Magnepans and they are very good bang for the buck. Most Maggies do a poor job with bass (not a hybrid design). Still hard to beat for the money. The build quality however is not as good as the MLs.

I was just commenting on bang for the buck for Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I was just suprised at the low price for such good sounding speakers. I still prefer my Vantages but for someone one a budget....
Jim

I had Magnepan MG12s for several years, bought new for $1100. I then upgraded to the 1.6s, bought used for $1000. When the upgrade bug bit again, I looked at the 3.6s which go used for about $2000. But they would have been too big for my room, so I landed a pair of Ascent i for about the same $$.
I still think that the Maggies are great speakers and very hard to beat for the money. But you need to have a lot of room and appropriate amplification. They're rated at 86db efficiency or so, which limits or options when looking for amps. Another big difference from Logans is that Maggies don't sound full at low volumes - You need to turn them up a bit to get them sounding good.
I'm not sure I agree with the statements about the lack of bass (music only). They're not hybrids, but they are all either 2-way or 3-way designs.
If you're comparing a lower priced MartinLogan to a lower priced Maggie, I think the Maggie wins hands down. Example: $2000 for a pair of Mosaics vs. $1800 for a pair of 1.6s, I'm pretty sure I'd choose the Maggies by a long shot. A very long shot. But at the higher price points I think MartinLogan closes the gap.

I like Maggies. The 1.2 and the 1.6 sound great. You get what you pay for though - the build quality is pretty ordinary. Once you get up to the 3.6 the equivalent Martin Logans start to pull away in leaps and bounds.

You need very good amplifiication too. The ML's are easier to drive and some can be driven by a fairly unsophisticated integrated amplifer or receiver. You couldn't do this with Maggies.

Maggies got me into this mess!

A pair of 1.6 Maggies got me hooked on dipoles. Since I was concerned that my room was too small for 1.6s, I bought a demo pair of ML Aeon-is for almost the same price.

Sebrof already said all the other things I could say about Logans vs Maggies.

The mess I'm referring to in the title is, of course, Joeyitis. (I still think there should be another 't' in that word.)

I like Maggies. The 1.2 and the 1.6 sound great. You get what you pay for though - the build quality is pretty ordinary. Once you get up to the 3.6 the equivalent Martin Logans start to pull away in leaps and bounds.

You need very good amplifiication too. The ML's are easier to drive and some can be driven by a fairly unsophisticated integrated amplifer or receiver. You couldn't do this with Maggies.

The statement about Maggies lack ease to driver is utterly wrong, the impedance curve of a Maggie is of a purely resistive nature on the mojority of the models made since 1973.
But i agree the demand of basic sound quality from the amplifier which is above the avarage, is crucial to get a pair of Maggies to perform at there best ;)

I have had a lot of experience regarding the demand of amplifiers for "Maggies" by having to make adjustments/mods of a pair of MOS-FET power-amps driving MG IIA's used with a pair of Bulgarian Gamma VLD-12 Leaf tweeters setting in at approx. 10K (13.5Hz/6dB) for the the lower regions below 70Hz i used an Swedish AudioPro 2B-50 Subwoofer which is an active mass compensated sub using pair of 6" in pushpull driven by an 85W amp ...result 20Hz -3dB @ 103dB SPL - 5% THD
This setup was made on the the knowledge i gained by working for the local destrubutor of ML and where there in the periode from CLS to CLS II i had access to listen at CLS 4 out of 5 workdays, such constant usage of the CLS performence ...makes one addicted
Did not have the budget so i had to do some magic, my metode was that i did manage to create a "budget" sound very alike of the CLS by use of a pair of modifired MGII among others the tweeter section was was altered from aliminium to a even more thin copper tread which was lighter and more durable, improved coating on the bass section of the MGII combined with additon of Gamma LT placed 2/3 up on the baffel this did enhance the system performance to great highs

my periode with my "Maggies" which actully has been my sweetest HiFi adventure ever..., was ruined some for me unfortunate day by a craftsman beeing at place not to be and moving my MGII's just to total wreek one of the bass-sections...., a sad tale ..., but after many, many years of not having a Di-Pol speaker...finally i did manage to get my own pair of CLS :)

Last edited:
A pair of 1.6 Maggies got me hooked on dipoles. Since I was concerned that my room was too small for 1.6s, I bought a demo pair of ML Aeon-is for almost the same price.

Sebrof already said all the other things I could say about Logans vs Maggies.

The mess I'm referring to in the title is, of course, Joeyitis. (I still think there should be another 't' in that word.)

No extra "T" for you!!!

The magnepans used to be a pure resistive load in the old days when they didn't have ribbon tweeters....

Also, what makes them a hard speaker to drive is not so much the impedance curve (though it can be a problem with low power tube amps...) is the low efficiency.

But Magnepans are what got me hooked on panel sound about 30 years ago too. However the minute I heard a pair of acoustats, I was down at the store trading my magnepans in and then about 15 years later when I heard the CLS, I got rid of my acoustats!

But the magnepan is a very popular speaker with many loyal owners. Our newest reviewer has a set of 3.6's and his setup is very good. We both agree that his system is a little bit polite and about 15th -20th row perspective, where my Summits are 5th row...

The thing that has always killed the MG1.6 is that its a great 1500 dollar speaker that needs a ten thousand dollar amplifier to really sound spectacular. I think ML has really done a good job with the Vantage and Summit, where they will sound fantastic with world class sources, they still sound pretty good with inexpensive sources and that is very hard to accomplish, especially for an electrostat...

The magnepans used to be a pure resistive load in the old days when they didn't have ribbon tweeters....

Also, what makes them a hard speaker to drive is not so much the impedance curve (though it can be a problem with low power tube amps...) is the low efficiency.

But Magnepans are what got me hooked on panel sound about 30 years ago too. However the minute I heard a pair of acoustats, I was down at the store trading my magnepans in and then about 15 years later when I heard the CLS, I got rid of my acoustats!

But the magnepan is a very popular speaker with many loyal owners. Our newest reviewer has a set of 3.6's and his setup is very good. We both agree that his system is a little bit polite and about 15th -20th row perspective, where my Summits are 5th row...

The thing that has always killed the MG1.6 is that its a great 1500 dollar speaker that needs a ten thousand dollar amplifier to really sound spectacular. I think ML has really done a good job with the Vantage and Summit, where they will sound fantastic with world class sources, they still sound pretty good with inexpensive sources and that is very hard to accomplish, especially for an electrostat...

spot on!...have heard all under good circumstances/rooms...still have the CLSZ2:music:

The Summits weighing at $10k will sound good with $1500 amplifier. Either way you slice it, your wallet is still $11.5k lighter ;) Madness, I tell you, Madness!

Spike

Hello, I am new to this forum having just purchased a used but near mint pair of Aerius i's.
I also own a pair of Maggies, namely the seemingly obscure 1.4 QR's (not the first Maggies I have owned).
My comparison I'd add is the Maggies have virtually zero low frequency extension, however the ML has the LF cone so the comparison is a little unfair in this region.
The ML's certainly excel in high end detail sound stage depth, and vocal/acoustic realism. No comparison at all. The Maggies are rather rolled off on the top, and the sound stage is quite flat. Both in my room are about equal for placement challenges, which haven't proved too much more difficult than my Energy Veritas 1.8's.
I drive them with a Meridian 557 (200/ch) which has no problem with either speaker even at extreme levels, and doesn't even get hot when run hard for long periods.
Build quality, well it's pretty obvious. I've seen (and repaired some) many a Maggy have the wires come off the film from age, or even too much powerful bass can blow portions clean off.
The Maggies are a good deal if you can find some cheap, but IMHO, not in the same league even compared to the affordable Aerius'.
I'd probably never part with the Maggies I have, but I doubt I'll ever buy another pair.
I think I'll be on the hunt for larger ML's in the near future :rocker:

just as an asside for the Maggie 1.4.....wire up a Founetk noe3 at about 15k hz with a standard 18db electrical crossover with resistors to match the level of the main panel.....big improvement.

Speakers that will compliment my planers need help

I am not experience with home electronics and I will like some advice. Three years ago I got what I consider a good receiver, the NAD T762, build a subwoofer and purchase a pair of Magna Planers model MG 1.6 /QR I thought this will be an investment that I will last me for a lot longer than 3 years, but as electronics change so does my appetite for newer and better things.

I would have not considered redoing my entertainment systems, but my receiver die, it began with my front display flashing and then finally dying.

I think I am going to keep the planers 1.6 ( I got them because I love music and they have done well for that) and perhaps I will get a high end amp and preamp. There is one brand that one of the local dealers suggested, but for the life of me, I just cannot remember the brand name, but what I like about this brand is what he said that all of this systems can be upgraded as technology matures and all I have to is send it back and pay the difference, I really like the idea of having component, perhaps you can share some of your knowledge with this type of systems or maybe recommendation one or two. I wish I can remember the name, I will check with him tomorrow.

As for the speakers, I am beginning to understand for 5.1 surround sound, aside from the front speakers, the center speaker and the subwoofer are the most critical, but the back speakers are not as critical! Giving this knowledge, I will keep the front speakers as I am sure you guys know that this kind of speakers are of ribbon type (not that I know what it means), I need the center speaker and back speakers match to the front speakers(I am told that is important); it should be an easy choice, right? Just simply get the center speaker from the same manufacture and be done with it, but I have a problem with this.

I first try to find them in the web (not as easy) and did some search to see what have they come up that is new and how active they are in the community. From my findings I go the impression they have not come out with the pass 3 years and was reaffirm as I talk with that at their office representatives, the person I spoke with only wanted to sale me any of the speaker that where under the 1.6’s as back speakers and the only center speaker they had. I did not feel she had good knowledge of their products, she gave did not give me any info about the quality of center speaker other that I should really buy them.

With this knowlage, I really think I should get another brand of center and side speakers. Therefore, I need help matching a center speaker as well as the back speakers and a good subwoofer with the characteristics of my front 1.6’s . As great as the JL’s sound for a subwoofer, I do not think I want to put 3.5 thousand for one of these beauties, there has to be others that are as good for less?

For the Amp and Preamp l will wait a few months, in the meantime I gather research about components (amp & preamp) if you can be so kind as to suggest a center speaker, back speakers that has similar properties so they can match well, for the center I will like to spend no more than 1 thousand, for the subwoofer think between 1 to 1.5 thousand, but I am not sure for the back speakers any suggest would be most welcome.

At the end I hope to have:
Keep the Nad until I determine the Amp and Preamp with your help
The Pioneer 5080 HD or the Panasonic TH 50PZ77u
A pair of rear speakers (not sure what will complement my Planers speakers)
A center speakers (same for the center looking to compliment the Planers)
And last a good subwoofer ( the one I build is so big, it just does not fit )

Thank you for your help

Speakers that will compliment my

I am not experience with home electronics and I will like some advice. Three years ago I got what I consider a good receiver, the NAD T762, build a subwoofer and purchase a pair of Magna Planers model MG 1.6 /QR I thought this will be an investment that I will last me for a lot longer than 3 years, but as electronics change so does my appetite for newer and better things.

I would have not considered redoing my entertainment systems, but my receiver die, it began with my front display flashing and then finally dying.

I think I am going to keep the planers 1.6 ( I got them because I love music and they have done well for that) and perhaps I will get a high end amp and preamp. There is one brand that one of the local dealers suggested, but for the life of me, I just cannot remember the brand name, but what I like about this brand is what he said that all of this systems can be upgraded as technology matures and all I have to is send it back and pay the difference, I really like the idea of having component, perhaps you can share some of your knowledge with this type of systems or maybe recommendation one or two. I wish I can remember the name, I will check with him tomorrow.
As for the speakers, I am beginning to understand for 5.1 surround sound, aside from the front speakers, the center speaker and the subwoofer are the most critical, but the back speakers are not as critical! Giving this knowledge, I will keep the front speakers as I am sure you guys know that this kind of speakers are of ribbon type (not that I know what it means), I need the center speaker and back speakers match to the front speakers(I am told that is important); it should be an easy choice, right? Just simply get the center speaker from the same manufacture and be done with it, but I have a problem with this.
I first try to find them in the web (not as easy) and did some search to see what have they come up that is new and how active they are in the community. From my findings I go the impression they have not come out with the pass 3 years and was reaffirm as I talk with that at their office representatives, the person I spoke with only wanted to sale me any of the speaker that where under the 1.6’s as back speakers and the only center speaker they had. I did not feel she had good knowledge of their products, she gave did not give me any info about the quality of center speaker other that I should really buy them.
With this knowlage, I really think I should get another brand of center and side speakers. Therefore, I need help matching a center speaker as well as the back speakers and a good subwoofer with the characteristics of my front 1.6’s . As great as the JL’s sound for a subwoofer, I do not think I want to put 3.5 thousand for one of these beauties, there has to be others that are as good for less?
For the Amp and Preamp l will wait a few months, in the meantime I gather research about components (amp & preamp) if you can be so kind as to suggest a center speaker, back speakers that has similar properties so they can match well, for the center I will like to spend no more than 1 thousand, for the subwoofer think between 1 to 1.5 thousand, but I am not sure for the back speakers any suggest would be most welcome.

At the end I hope to have:
Keep the Nad until I determine the Amp and Preamp with your help
The Pioneer 5080 HD or the Panasonic TH 50PZ77u
A pair of rear speakers (not sure what will complement my Planers speakers)
A center speakers (same for the center looking to compliment the Planers)
And last a good subwoofer ( the one I build is so big, it just does not fit )

Thank you for your help

Back