London Hi-Fi Show 2008 Pics & CLX recordings!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Name the turntable/arm - win a prize. And I don't mean the Clearaudio Master Reference, Graham, Transfiguration in the background. Seriously, I am clueless - the shot with the name tag didn't come out, but the TT does kind of look like a Clearaudio.

Hold on - isn't digital what you need? Just what is it with these turntables? They just won't go away:D

Nice looking arm, at any rate.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Clearaudio Smart Matrix record cleaning machine - very smart looking indeed for the price - actually it isn't too bad at UK £540.

Attachments

• clearaudiosmart.jpg
    clearaudiosmart.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 339
I wouldn't usually post such an awful picture, and this is what the vast majoirty I took look like in terms of quality, but Tim de Paravicini (http://www.ear-yoshino.com/) is up to something here - never seen it before, and it is not on the website. It wasn't playing, and I went in a second time to see if he had fired it up. On both occasions he was talking to someone... so no chance to ask without being rude. Oh well. It's a monoblock, using two massive valves per block. Power output might be substantial!:devil: Probably a debut for this design, then...

Attachments

• tim.jpg
    tim.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Had a good chat with Shabir Shatti about these fine looking, and probably sounding, amps. Nice bloke and obviously an enthusiast...

These are Wavac MD805 monos - good for 55 Watts, list £12,750, though it may be possible to pay less if you're nice to Shabir!

Check http://www.audioacoustics.co.uk. Interestingly, the SET HE-8331.3 looks to be using the same tube as Tim's monos above. I wouldn't like to say that for sure, but I expect it probably is...

Attachments

• Wavac1.jpg
    Wavac1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Wavac2.jpg
    Wavac2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
A bit more Wavac magic - this time the EC-300Bi. Gimme.:music: And one more for luck. That's it for today... check back soon!

Attachments

• wavac3.jpg
    wavac3.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 327
  • wavac4.jpg
    wavac4.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Name the turntable/arm - win a prize. And I don't mean the Clearaudio Master Reference, Graham, Transfiguration in the background. Seriously, I am clueless - the shot with the name tag didn't come out, but the TT does kind of look like a Clearaudio.

Hold on - isn't digital what you need? Just what is it with these turntables? They just won't go away:D

Nice looking arm, at any rate.

Darn nice looking arm! I'll go analogue if I can have one of those!

Even though the WAVAC amps all seem to look like aquariums they are still gorgeous. I've never had the opportunity to hear one but they must be nice. I think a pair of 55 watt Wavac MD805 monos would really make the CLS or CLX sing.

He kept saying "These Days" so I checked it out on Napster. You were right, it is "These Days" and this version is on Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic Vol 1. Thanks Chuck - dilemma resolved! Have to say I quite like the track - tis good stuff - though I wouldn't buy it, if you know what I mean.

Just listened to the whole album - if you like laid back, easy going, good vibe acoustic stuff, this a DEFINATELY worth a play.

The first time I heard "These Days", was back in '73 with Ian Matthews singing it on his album "Valley Hi", a nice laid back album. Wikipedia - Jackson Browne says he was 16 when he wrote it in the mid '60's.

Even though the WAVAC amps all seem to look like aquariums they are still gorgeous. I've never had the opportunity to hear one but they must be nice. I think a pair of 55 watt Wavac MD805 monos would really make the CLS or CLX sing.

First fill with water, then...:eek:

It'd be an interesting experiment - how loud without audible strain would they go... think we'd probably need to go further up the Wavac ladder to find a really good match. Mind you, if you never listen loud, they could be bliss!

1) Get any old reasonable turntable.

2) Pronounce it to be a classic.

3) Put it in some solid marble, granite, corian etc.

4) Attach SME V and Audionote IO (top pic).

5) Sit back and be prepared to be amazed. Or not, as the case may be!:eek:

Or have a go at the more modest effort below it. Low on bucks, and with you stateside guys each owing the state $5000, the way to go!

Sorry, but the US financial system has made a mess of the UK economy, too. At least, our media is blaming it on you lot. And the coverage seems almost 24/7. Just like the Hilary/Obama coverage - thankfully now gone - phew... it NEVER stopped!

$5000 - won't that cover a pair of Vantages in the US? Food for thought, indeed. Visions of the state, knocking on the door, demanding YOUR pair:eek:!!!

Attachments

• technics.jpg
    technics.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 216
  • garrard.jpg
    garrard.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Klipsch La Scala, and a big Tannoy, with nice woodwork... not sure which one though. What is it with the carpet in these hotels? HK had the same problem. Look at the effect on the poor old McIntosh MA2275. They must all be paying the same interior designer... who is having a quiet laugh:ROFL:

Check out the super tweeters on top of the Tannoys... and I just noticed the 2275 has tone controls... well, I never!

Attachments

• klipsch1.jpg
    klipsch1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 217
  • klipsch2.jpg
    klipsch2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 215
  • klipsch3.jpg
    klipsch3.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Talking of Tannoys - here is the Prestige - sounding really quite good being driven by some Raysonic tube gear. That is an achievement, in my book. I have never liked big Tannoys, though these are far from the biggest.

Check out the degree of toe-in...:eek:

Hm - The Prestige - good film, that!

Attachments

• tannoy.jpg
    tannoy.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Amey01 - believe me - it didn't work. It just sounded like 2 speakers that were toed-in too far.

Hi-Fi World featured DIY tube amps that were playing with the Garrard, featured above. Making nice noises, actually.

Wow, I just posted something affordable! STOP IT THIS MINUTE:D!

Anyway, if you feel like messing around with tube amp HT:eek:, go place an order at http://wduk.worldomain.net/.

Attachments

• hifiworld.jpg
    hifiworld.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 209
1)
Sorry, but the US financial system has made a mess of the UK economy, too. At least, our media is blaming it on you lot. And the coverage seems almost 24/7. Just like the Hilary/Obama coverage - thankfully now gone - phew... it NEVER stopped!

That's not surprising, but any chance the UK media gave credit to the US when things were going well?

I think you already know the answer to that one, Craig.

Anyway, http://www.ypsilonelectronics.com/home/, which does NOT feature the GM70 based amp below, but does mention it in the news pages. I heard it at a Bristol show a while ago, and it is good. As well it should be for the price. Nice lookin' stuff, too.

Attachments

• yp1.jpg
    yp1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 185
  • yp2.jpg
    yp2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 185
  • yp3.jpg
    yp3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Back