Live Recordings - Your Favorites

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Street Dreams - New York, Music from the subways of New York City.

Clay Dog Records CD 6004

1996 Classic Digital Inc.

Attachments

• CD.jpg
    CD.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 208
Cowboy Junkies - the Trinty Session

I just heard this again for the first time on my Ascents. This is a wonderful live performance by the band and vocals by Margo Timmons. It was recorded live in a church, and has wonderful ambience, particularly on MLs which suit that open sound. The music itself is hard to categorize, mostly a jazz-inspired take on alot of unusual music ranging from mining dirges, to classic country ballads, to a great cover of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane".

This does not appear to be a live recording in the sense of a concert recording, but was instead a miked session of the band as a whole in the given setting with minimal post production.

I'm still having fun running back through my music collection finding gems like this since acquiring the MLs.

- "SuperBass 2" with Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride (Telarc Jazz - CD)

Ray Brown is heard in the center, John Clayton on the left, and Christian McBride on the right side of the stage. These three guys are having fun in this recording done at the Blue Note (New York City) in 2001 !

Cheers,

Great thread Ernio 1. My uncle has a VERY nice two channel system consisting of Magneplanar 4a, audio research pre, CAL cd player, Bryston amp. I have ML Ascents, his old phase linear 400 and audio research sp4, and Sony 508es cd. We both agree on both our systems that one of the best live, if not the best live cd listened to is...a King Biscuit Flower Hour of...DAVID CROSBY recorded live April 8, 1989 at Philadelphia, PA. Any Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young fan needs to check this one out! Awesome!!

Hi,
Another great live one is Alison Krauss Live. I have several of the others mentioned, and will be auditioning the others...life is too short for all the great music out there...:)

Peter

Try Glen Phillips live at largo, Graham Parker live-alone in America, Jackson Browne's new CD Solo acoustic, or Van Morrison, Back on Top.

Yesterday I pulled out an old audiophile chestnut: Jazz at the Pawnshop. I've forgotten how great this recording is!

Those musicians play fast, which is just great with stats. It's a good candidate for most live-sounding jazz instruments, and the balance the engineer got is just about spot-on.

PRLP7778.JPG

I love Dave Matthews Band's Central Park Concert on DVD and Sarah McLaughlan's Afterglow Live DVD.

I used both to demo ML Claritys before getting my SL3s

Back