Krell

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angela

Reaction score
I ran across this and maybe you guys already know and it's old news, but I was surprised as I always thought of Krell as one of the "big boys".

. . .Those who know audio respect Dan as the founder of Krell and one of the biggest names in audiophila. This past summer, he and his ex-wife Rondi took on investors to help grow Krell as they added iPod docks, reference AV preamps and a Blu-ray player to the product line-up. The results worked out poorly, to be polite. Other than voting rights on the board, Dan and Rondi are out of the company that they founded 29 years ago. Since the corporate divorce, Krell moved on. Dan's moving on, too. Oh, I almost forgot - both sides are suing each other enthusiastically. It's a mess. . .

http://hometheaterreview.com/what-would-dan-dagostino-do/

well..... exCUSSSSSE me... :said with my best virtual Steve Martin voice:

:D I should get out more often.

I did a search before posting and didn't see any discussion about it and figured you guys would have since I would imagine some have Krell amps.

This is news to me. Seems that when you sell out, you should get out. I guess Gayle Sanders did it correctly when he moved on. I feel for Dan who I met briefly years ago, but that is business.

The diff with Gayle Sanders is that he sold the biz. D'Agostino was kind of forcefully removed.

Kind of weird. It will be interesting to see if he just retires or does something else. He hasn't designed the last few generations of amps anyway, so that's probably what put him in a weak position with the company that acquired Krell. Got the company founder drawing a big salary and isn't really doing that much work anymore.

If it's your own company, you've earned that right but if you have investors, you get the steak and the coffee.

Correct, it's old news, except the lawsuits which were expected anyway. Krell without them may wither and die. As for their new company, assuming it exists, they would know their strong markets better than any of us. They will be up against stiff competition if they try doing statement level products.

Audio as we know it with out Dan , Krell will slowly go to the way side of high end audio. Sad but its exactly how Bob Carver was ousted.

I think the moral of the story is: don't take on inverstors. Build one product, but make it GREAT. Sell a lot of it and then use the $ to fund other products.

Another moral of the story is that no matter who you are, it can still happen to you. No doubt, D'Agostino has a huge following. "1,000 people can drop $200,000 on his system, even in this economy." But I am fairly confident to say he did not expect this outcome. Otherwise, he would have mitigated his risks. In his head, he is bigger than anyone. With a 50% divorce rate, how many people out there saying the vows think it's going to happen to them?

David,

I love your line "in his head, he is bigger than anyone".

I had the chance to briefly meet him at a past CES show. Based on that encounter, I believe your statement is quite accurate.

Although I also believe, again based on a brief encounter with Mark Levinson, this gentleman can give him a run for his money in that "elitist" ego department.

Gordon

David,

I love your line "in his head, he is bigger than anyone".

I had the chance to briefly meet him at a past CES show. Based on that encounter, I believe your statement is quite accurate.

Although I also believe, again based on a brief encounter with Mark Levinson, this gentleman can give him a run for his money in that "elitist" ego department.

Gordon

Gordon, I guess we are all over-confident in many respects. Just ask a room full of people if they are better than average, and 85-90% raise their hand. Many of the 10-15% that don't are the ones you want to be dealing with.

I haven't met either of the "gentlemen" you mention, but the stench of hubris comes across from reading the short article.

David,

Totally agreed.

When they both spoke and were asked questions, you could see / hear the "god like" attitude / arrogance pouring out of them.

Gordon

Mr. Krell has always been pretty grumpy. I've always been surprised at the arrogance, considering he hasn't really even designed the last few generations of product...

His son is pretty grumpy too. Definitely not one of the "fun" guys in high end audio.

Didn't Dan also design for other companies besides Krell? Or are those merely copies or implementations of his design, particularly speakers? I don't know I'm just asking since I've seen his name used by other brands such as Usher.

Didn't Dan also design for other companies besides Krell? Or are those merely copies or implementations of his design, particularly speakers? I don't know I'm just asking since I've seen his name used by other brands such as Usher.

I know he designed amplifiers for his buddies over at Aragon. The 8008 and Palladium in particular

Hi Bernard,

It's been really interesting meeting / listening to some of the folks behind "hi end" audio.

As a result of attending various shows, I've had the chance to meet and talk to Bill and Lew (Conrad Johnson), Thor Siverstien (formerly employed by Tandberg and the last time I saw him, an employee of CJ), Jim Whiney (Magneplanar), Michael Kalellis (Analysis Audio), and, my highlight, Gayle Sanders.

All of these guys (including many others of lesser known companies) exemplified what I consider to be the "poster child" of what this hobby is all about. Very knowledgeable, professional, unpretentious, and "down home" type folks.

I suppose this industry replicates the personalities that one encounters in other business enterprises but, given my interest in audio, it was truly a joy to meet and talk to them in person.

Gordon

Last edited:
Tor was one of the true statesman of High End Audio. He retired about a year ago, but definitely a cool cat.

All of these guys (including many others of lesser known companies) exemplified what I consider to be the "poster child" of what this hobby is all about. Very knowledgeable, professional, unpretentious, and "down home" type folks.
Gordon, the only high end designer I have met is Vince Bruzzese of Totem Acoustics, and he seemed to be very down-to-earth as well. Seems like the D'Agostinos and Levinsons are the exceptions rather than the rule, which makes sense as I have never thought of engineers as being conceited.

Bob Carver was as down to earth as any one I have ever met. Just plain nice !Never did he make you feel less or himself more !

Back