Jriver

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all.

Might some of you comment on jriver?
Does the license expire or is it a pay once license?

Also do you use the different up sampling or conversion features it offers. I have heard that it makes things sound better? Have you found this to be true?

How is the user interface for organizing ripping playing tagging etc.

I am strongly thinking about a dsd dac.

Thanks. Tim

The license is good for that major release and any updates to that release, but there is a cost for each major release if you decide to upgrade.

I also paid for the iPad remote app. It works well.

I run the digital out via asynchronous USB to my OPPO 105D and I let the OPPO's DAC's do all the conversion.

I think upsampling might help if you have an older less power DAC, but I don't see the point in using that feature with a quality reasonably modern DAC since that is part of what they do.

The JRiver user interface is good. I looked at a lot of different free packages before I tried JRiver and I liked JRiver the best. It does not have lots of visualizers, but I like how it works quite a bit.

I don't think it improves on the sound over a CD or SACD, but I don't think it loses anything either.

Thanks Mark... So the remote app is extra... I have iPhones and an android tablet.

I've also got the Jriver app for my iPad and really like it. I find it much nicer than the Amarra app. A friend downloaded the trial version of the Jriver app for his Windows tablet and it didn't have all the features that the app for iPad had. Based on that, he continued running from Jriver itself on his laptop.

I am using an IPad with JRemote and it seems to work without issue thus far. From what I have read the IPad integrates better than other tablets or phone.

I just started with a computer based system and am surprised how much I enjoy it. As for the sound on my system ripped and up sampled music sounds markedly better than putting the disk in the player. I'm sure there will be some exceptions but for now I haven't found one yet.

I am having some problems with getting cover art to download though. If any of you have have seen any very basic tutorials on JRiver please post them. I don't speak computer and everything I have seen so far has been over my head. I have been looking for someone in my area to hire to teach me how to use all of the features but no luck yet.

I am having some problems with getting cover art to download though. If any of you have have seen any very basic tutorials on JRiver please post them. I don't speak computer and everything I have seen so far has been over my head. I have been looking for someone in my area to hire to teach me how to use all of the features but no luck yet.

IIRC tedb has written a couple of extensive tutorials posted over at audiocircle, if that helps Brad. Ripping with dbpoweramp (because it's waaaay faster than doing so with jriver), I've had virtually no problems with cover art. dbpoweramp is an extra expense, however....

Yep, jremote on an iPad works flawlessly for me.

So is the dbpoweramp compatible with JRiver as the system?

I did find those tutorials and understood some of it. The more technical will come with time. I am looking for even more basic for ripping, adding to a library and finding cover art for existing music.

If a computer audio 101 class existed, I would probably looking for computer audio 75-80. For whatever reason this is an area of technology that just doesn't click in my brain. I will work through it though either by figuring it out or going back to one disc at a time. Unfortunately, now I have heard thee improvement in the sound so going back would not be fun.

Thanks

So is the dbpoweramp compatible with JRiver as the system?

I did find those tutorials and understood some of it. The more technical will come with time. I am looking for even more basic for ripping, adding to a library and finding cover art for existing music.

If a computer audio 101 class existed, I would probably looking for computer audio 75-80. For whatever reason this is an area of technology that just doesn't click in my brain. I will work through it though either by figuring it out or going back to one disc at a time. Unfortunately, now I have heard thee improvement in the sound so going back would not be fun.

Thanks

What do you mean by compatible? You can run DBpowerAmp on a Windows PC, rip CDs and you can run JRiver MC ver xx on the same machine and play music. I am unaware of any interoperability between the two apps.

As for upsampling, I've noticed no difference between upsampling and native via JRiver. However, upsampling with my Esoteric definitely does yield a sonic change. Go figure...

I've run both Pure Music and JRiver. I'd always liked Pure Music, but was frustrated by the lack of a dedicated ap or UI. That's what made me try JRiver, and frankly I haven't looked looked back.

Out of the gate with no up sampling I might give the nod on sound quality to Pure Music, but I now use JRiver to convert everything to DSD, and I do notice a difference for the better.

Hi MiTT,

How do you convert a ripped .wav to DSD using Jriver? How can I send the converted DSD to the Oppo-105 Coax digital input (not the USB DAC, since does not do bass management)? Can I send it using SPDIF/Coax or should I HDMI? Can I use either one?

the sound card matter at all in this conversion?

I'm using JRiver to upsample all my downloads to DSD in DoP into a Schiit Loki DSD DAC on a Toshiba laptop at home. I'm using the same at work but upsamplimg when necessary to 96/24 through an AQ Dragonfly. I think it sounds better upsampled in either fashion than w/o upsampling. YMMV.

Hi MiTT,

How do you convert a ripped .wav to DSD using Jriver?

Under Tools>Playback Options>Settings>DSP & Output format>Output Encoding>DSD in DoP. JRiver MC19 was the first build to do the conversion.

I can't help with the rest however.

Hi MiTT,

How do you convert a ripped .wav to DSD using Jriver? How can I send the converted DSD to the Oppo-105 Coax digital input (not the USB DAC, since does not do bass management)? Can I send it using SPDIF/Coax or should I HDMI? Can I use either one?

the sound card matter at all in this conversion?

As Risabet said, DSD is a selectable output in JRivers settings.

I am not aware of any DAC that will accept DSD over any connection other than USB, which is what I use with my AURALiC Vega.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately Oppo's USB DAC does not process bass management, it is volume control only. Hopefully, the next year release of Oppo will be able to do it.

I am running two different OSs on my Mac mini servers and I think JRiver sounds best on the one running Windows. On the native Mac I like Audirvana and Pure Music. Both minis are highly modded by Mojo Audio and have internal SSDs and the Mojo separate power supplies. I am currently using an Ayre QB9 DSD in the music room and a Halide Designs bridge in the Home Theater room to plug into my Marantz surround sound processor coax in. If you get a JRiver master license you can download to Windows and OS. I am going to have to try the iPad app.

Latest posts

Back