Joey-itis out of necessity?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliemike

Reaction score
Rather than moving my SL3s to Colorado (I'm moving my stuff in about a month) I'm thinking about selling them and then buying speakers once I get out there.

I'm going to have a bigger room ... So, how much better are Ascent i than the SL3?

Do I need to consider upgrading my components?

No upgrade necessary. Just buy Summits!:D You just tell yourself that you are replacing with a "or similar" as my wife would say.

No upgrade necessary. Just buy Summits!:D You just tell yourself that you are replacing with a "or similar" as my wife would say.

LOL, I can't afford Summits. I'm buying a townhouse :)

I don't know if it's worth going with Ascent i or Vistas ... Both will probably be around $2500 if I get the right deal no?

LOL, I can't afford Summits. I'm buying a townhouse :)

I don't know if it's worth going with Ascent i or Vistas ... Both will probably be around $2500 if I get the right deal no?

Between the two, get the Ascents, unless you will have a relatively small listening space. The Ascents handle the low end better, IMO.

Ascents or Vistas.. that's a tough one. Thing is, I heard both and I much preferred the voicing of the Vista. But, it's your ears so hear out both... either way, you're not going to go wrong.

Joey

Ascents or Vistas.. that's a tough one. Thing is, I heard both and I much preferred the voicing of the Vista. But, it's your ears so hear out both... either way, you're not going to go wrong.

Joey

There's a dealer in Denver so that works out well.

Joey

Can you describe how they sounded different?

The best ML's I've ever personally heard were reQuests. I've never gotten to hear the new panels and am curious if the sound has brightened or darkened or whatever.

SL3s have a lot of radiating surface, I'd venture a guess that the Ascent will be the closest upgrade.

I just think that the newer panels are more prominent with the vocals and I really adore vocals more than anything. I think that the newer panels are more balanced and the integration with the woofer is uncannily more coherent with the newer models. I like the presentation of the newer panels... the Ascents, from the numerous that I've heard, have the propensity to be a little sibilant/bright at times.

Joey

... the Ascents, from the numerous that I've heard, have the propensity to be a little sibilant/bright at times.

Joey

Actually, as an owner of Ascent-i, I agree with this statement. However, I have found that matching the right components and proper tweaking (isn't it always the case?) resolves this particular problem. In my case, I changed my interconnects from my CD player to my preamp from Wireworld Equinox 5 to Nordost Blue Heaven. The Blue Heavens perform much better for me.

It is, of course, a matter of personal tastes and listening habits. For the music I listen to, and also considering that my Ascents double-duty as HT speakers, I prefer what I consider the overall better versatility of the Ascents over the Vistas. Now if you are talking about the Ascents vs. the Vantages, well...

It is, of course, a matter of personal tastes and listening habits. For the music I listen to, and also considering that my Ascents double-duty as HT speakers, I prefer what I consider the overall better versatility of the Ascents over the Vistas. Now if you are talking about the Ascents vs. the Vantages, well...
I agree with this statement concerning the mentioned speakers. I would take the Ascents over the Vista's.

Dan

Joey

I too auditioned both when I bought my Vistas, and agree with Joey that for some reason I just prefered the voicing of the Vista - the Ascent is great - it does bass better thats for sure, and I think it would fill a larger room better. The larger panel also plays a part, but the Vista it was for me because of voicing and the seemingly more accurate top end. If I could have a new x-stat panel on an Ascent that is what i'd take!! So go listen to both and see which one "does it" for you!

I too auditioned both when I bought my Vistas, and agree with Joey that for some reason I just prefered the voicing of the Vista - the Ascent is great - it does bass better thats for sure, and I think it would fill a larger room better. The larger panel also plays a part, but the Vista it was for me because of voicing and the seemingly more accurate top end. If I could have a new x-stat panel on an Ascent that is what i'd take!! So go listen to both and see which one "does it" for you!

It's what you value in sonic reproductions.... for me, Amey, and others... it's all about the vocals. So since I found the Vista to be more balanced up top, I would naturally choose the Vista over the Ascent. However, there are others who will value the Ascents for reasons other than above, and that's what makes this hobby so great!

Joey

Back