James Randi takes on speaker cables/interconnects

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveInNC

Reaction score
James Randi is a professional magician and skeptic, known for debunking psychics like Uri Geller and for offering a million dollar prize to anyone that can demonstrate a "paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event" under controlled conditions, as set forth by the James Randi Educational Foundation. He has now extended that offer to those giving proof that high-end cable is a demonstrable improvement over consumer-level wire, here.

These guys come and go. We know what we hear !!! I have made change in cables, unbeknownst to my wife, and she has walked into the room and asked me in seconds, "What have you changed?".

This should be interesting to see who take him up on the offer.

Some cable manufactures’ truly do claim near-paranormal effects and benefits and should be called to task on backing those up.

But the worst are the reviewers, who generate much of the hyperbole. They really need to prove they have it or not in terms of detection ability.

Otherwise it's a case of 'I see ghosts and tough if you can't'

Otherwise it's a case of 'I see ghosts and tough if you can't'

With the prices of some of these cables, it is more like a case of: "I see stupid people."

On the other side, though, I can't say that the million dollar offer isn't its own form of hype and BS. Randi gets to set all the conditions for the tests so he can design it such that he can't lose. And how exactly are they supposed to "prove" that the more expensive cable performs "better" than the Monster Cable? We all know that different cables may sound different in a particular system and the same cable can sound different in different systems. But what is "better?" I may prefer the sound of the expensive cable and you may think that it sounds like crap, because we have different ideas about what sounds "better." In the end, cable performance is subjective.

I don't know about the "better" part - I think demonstrating the ability to distinguish between cables consistently beyond statistical chance might be sufficient.
On the other side, though, I can't say that the million dollar offer isn't its own form of hype and BS. Randi gets to set all the conditions for the tests so he can design it such that he can't lose

"At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has ever passed the preliminary tests."

http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

As far as I know, it costs nothing to apply, although you must "have a media presence, which means having been published, written about, or known to the media in regard to his/her claimed abilities or powers."

The actual application is here.

This topic has been making its rounds on all the forums I peruse.

I'm going to cut and paste one of my responses...

I'd like to see someone try this. The likelihood that one will win is probably slim to none.

Many factors play into this. The system being used (is it actually good enough to discern between the regular wire and the expensive wire), the room, the mood of the listener (moreso anxious than relaxed, this is NOT going to be the typical mood one is in when listening for fun in one's own living room), and the method at which they go about this A/B comparison.

Is there going to be a lag between musical excerpts? Will the listener be allowed to first get used to the sound of each cable before hand in the system that they will use to A/B? Is it an instant switch between cables? Is there consistency between musical excerpts? How long is this test going to be (the longer it is, the more listening fatigue I think)?

In the end, I don't think anyone can hear the difference between the two in this condition as the differences (though they probably exist due to differences in conductance and capacitance among other aspects of cable characteristics) aren't large enough like the difference between a black and white TV and a colored HDTV.

Good luck to whomever participates in this. You're going to need it.

Cool! I'm curious to see the outcome. I believe that cables (and connectors) can make a difference. I don't personally believe that anything above a certain threshold of quality makes a demonstrable difference. I also don't know where that threshold is, but believe that it is substantially under the cost of the described cables.

I think that Pear Cable is being disingenous with their language, such as:
Accuser James Randi has claimed to offer a $1 million dollar prize if the high-fidelity cables can be detected.

While Pear Cable remains highly skeptical that the challenge is genuine, full support for Michael Fremer's effort has been offered.
Geez, what an ad hominem attack. I'm sorry but Randi has been around a looong time, the funds are in escrow, and Randi is on the record with the offer - what are they skeptical of?

To date, James Randi has provided no scientific evidence of any kind to support his accusations. No test protocol for the challenge was stipulated in the original accusation, however James Randi reserves the right to change test protocol in any way he personally desires
Randi doesn't have to prove anything - your tester has to prove he can determine a difference between cable types. If he does, he gets $1M. This is not a bet - the test subject does not have to front any money. As stated on the JREF page, the testing protocol will be negotiated and agreed to up front by both parties. Randi will not be able to "... change test protocol in any way he personally desires".

I predict that after much posturing, Pear will claim that an acceptable testing protocol couldn't be agreed upon, and will blame it on Randi insisting on unreasonable requirements. I hope that JREF publishes the proposed requirements in any case so that we and others can decide for ourselves if they are reasonable and sufficient.

Last edited:
Back