Is the Stage X really worth $1800 more than the Stage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubSolar

Reaction score
Right now you can get a brand new Stage for $1499. Is the Stage X honestly worth more than double than the Stage? I have a pair of Theos I will be using with them. Would most Stage X owners even notice if a Stage was secretly switched in their system?

My opinion (and I own a stage and have never auditioned the stage x) is absolutely not. That is an insanely good price for a stage. The only real difference between it and the stage x is ribbon tweeter vs cone tweeter, for slightly smoother highs and slightly better integration with the panel. I'm sure the sound is slightly improved, but certainly not $1800 better! My advice is anyone wanting a center channel for MLs should jump on a Stage right now at these prices.

My opinion (and I own a stage and have never auditioned the stage x) is absolutely not. That is an insanely good price for a stage. The only real difference between it and the stage x is ribbon tweeter vs cone tweeter, for slightly smoother highs and slightly better integration with the panel. I'm sure the sound is slightly improved, but certainly not $1800 better! My advice is anyone wanting a center channel for MLs should jump on a Stage right now at these prices.

Done -- Got Mine!

That's what I was thinking. Plus, I'm only going to use the center for movies, I don't do multichannel music, only stereo. I'm not sure how often highs are used in movies and if the difference between the two tweeters in Stage vs Stage X would matter that much for dialog, explosions, etc.

I have a Stage X and I auditioned both and the X does sound a little clearer, more detailed and crisper and integrates with the panel better but when I auditioned both, the stage was still $3000. Now that it's $1500, that's a hell of a deal. I ordered one just to put in my bedroom.

I have a Stage X and I auditioned both and the X does sound a little clearer, more detailed and crisper and integrates with the panel better but when I auditioned both, the stage was still $3000. Now that it's $1500, that's a hell of a deal. I ordered one just to put in my bedroom.

Yeah, ordered mine today from audioadvisor, shipped already, hopefully be here by the weekend!

Mine will be here tomorrow to audition against my Theater-i. You guys have any recommendations for blurays with good center tracks to demo?

My Stage is off to ML for repairs right now. :-\ Hopefully the price is not too high or I guess I will just order a new Stage at that $1500 price.

I have been debating about getting the Stage for a few weeks now. After reading this thread I ordered it! Thanks guys!

I have been debating about getting the Stage for a few weeks now. After reading this thread I ordered it! Thanks guys!

Your not going to be disappointed thats for sure, you can hear the pace of an actors breathing between the words spoken in a good bluray

I bought one of these but then listed it and sold it so now I just ordered another one

Last edited:
Uh-Oh. What was the problem?

Not exactly sure... it was weird. For a while, the highs seemed like their were intermittently dropping out and then it would be OK for a while. After a while, the panel became muffled. Maybe xover, maybe panel, maybe both? It was odd enough that they weren't confident enough to send me parts to try at home.

Your not going to be disappointed thats for sure, you can hear the pace of an actors breathing between the words spoken in a good bluray

I bought one of these but then listed it and sold it so now I just ordered another one

I have the em-esls and the recommended center is the C2. I thought maybe having the folded motion tweeter was far superior to the dome. Looks like it doesn't make a huge difference.

Received my Stage on saturday. LOOOOOVING it.

Coming from an ecore tf it was a night/day difference!

I'll have to take a listen to Prometheus!

I've been watching some Transformers, Skyfall, and Tangled to start the break in :)

My Stage is off to ML for repairs right now. :-\ Hopefully the price is not too high or I guess I will just order a new Stage at that $1500 price.

Just to follow up on this, ML went beyond what I would expect for repairs. They found a minor wiring/solder joint issue when they went through the speaker and fixed it at no cost to me, just return shipping. Hopefully I'll get it back in the next week or so and can get it in place to verify that everything is working perfectly. Thanks guys!

Just to follow up on this, ML went beyond what I would expect for repairs. They found a minor wiring/solder joint issue when they went through the speaker and fixed it at no cost to me, just return shipping. Hopefully I'll get it back in the next week or so and can get it in place to verify that everything is working perfectly. Thanks guys!

I also had "minor wiring/solder joint issue" with my Stage and ML troubleshooting it cost me two times PSU board until I said enough, found and fix the problem by myself. Now I have two spare, 100% functioning PSU boards......

Back