Insurance Company Greed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prologue to this story:

USAA made a commitment to me that they were going to work the situation out amicably, then they turned around and tried to jaw-bone my shop into accepting the same payment that they pay their favorite shop that they throw tons of business at. My shop decilned of course, but is now sore at me for having been so abused by USAA.

I'll admit I was raised in a different generation but battering people like USAA is doing doesn't seem to be a way to run an organization.

but is now sore at me for having been so abused by USAA..

Jerry, what kind of 'pansies' are those guys ! The Ins. Co. is doing its job and trust me your repair shop guys have seen and heard it before ! Tell 'em to suck it up , get over it, and get on with life !

I'll admit I was raised in a different generation but battering people like USAA is doing doesn't seem to be a way to run an organization.

I don't think it is only a generational difference. I believe a military background has a lot of influence on how things are looked at.

I expected my leadership to make wise and sound decisions. Granted, sometimes I scratched my head at some of them, but after reflection most of the decisions were sound. In turn, leadership expected the best effort from those being led. I'm sure leadership scratched their own heads on how their decisions were carried out! But it was a two-way street and it worked well.

I found my first couple of years out to be a quite difficult adjustment based on the above. Things do not happen in the civilian world like they do in the military. So I learned to "when in Rome...."

An insurance company should be a two-way street. We pay our premiums, we expect and deserve the best effort for those dollars.

Gordon

Prologue to this story:

USAA made a commitment to me that they were going to work the situation out amicably, then they turned around and tried to jaw-bone my shop into accepting the same payment that they pay their favorite shop that they throw tons of business at. My shop decilned of course, but is now sore at me for having been so abused by USAA.

Jerry - a couple of things I have noted while reading this post --

1) you have been in 4 accidents w/ Jags in 8 years.

Probably a pretty great thing for that repair shop -- probably not so cool with the insurance company. You have been a good customer to this repari shop - and they have probably made a ton of dough off of you. Maybe they can - and should work it out for you - their loyal customer??? I would try to play that angle... Maybe if they come up a little nad the insurance comes down a little --- things may work themselves out??? good luck.....(also - since you have had the accidents - maybe this carrier really doesn't want you anymore--- and their way of telling you is by pimping you in this manner) Hope things work out -- let us know... thanks tim.

Jerry - a couple of things I have noted while reading this post --

1) you have been in 4 accidents w/ Jags in 8 years.

Probably a pretty great thing for that repair shop -- probably not so cool with the insurance company. You have been a good customer to this repari shop - and they have probably made a ton of dough off of you. Maybe they can - and should work it out for you - their loyal customer??? I would try to play that angle... Maybe if they come up a little nad the insurance comes down a little --- things may work themselves out??? good luck.....(also - since you have had the accidents - maybe this carrier really doesn't want you anymore--- and their way of telling you is by pimping you in this manner) Hope things work out -- let us know... thanks tim.

All 4 accidents were the result of my car being hit by someone not paying attention while they were on their cell phone. 3 rear enders and this one... a T bone while I was parked. My insurance company hasn't forked out one cent that it hasn't collected from another company.

My insurance company can't dump me, nor would they want to. Between 5 cars, home, mc and umbrella premiums all written with USAA they colect about $9K a year from me, so even if they were to have to lay out a few bucks in my behalf they would still be way ahead of the game. It's me who will most likely dump them rather than the other way around. USAA is a company that sells itself on service, not low price. In a competitive market they get higher premiums and justify that by their claim of superior survice. Up till now that has been the case. But now they are larger they are taking the Walmart approach...trying to dictate the market.

It's very simple...their job is to pay the claim then subrogate against (collect from) Progressive who has already accepted liability in this case. This shouild be simple until one has to deal with the hyper controlling whack job that USAA has assigned to manage the case. He idea of an amicable solution is to do things her way, and the customer doesn't matter. She has managed to p-o not only me, but my shop and the Progressive adjuster. There seems to be a pattern developing of complaints on the internet of USAA victimizing Sr citizens in their "adjusting" techniques.

Last edited:
Well - anyway you slice it - it sucks... I feel for you. Everyone should do the math... Premiums minus Claims over your life... It is a staggering figure. And then - when a real disaster occurs - there is some fine print that says something like 'If the water came from an outside source - we won't pay.' (think Katrina). Then the government steps in -- and AGAIN WE PAY since it is our tax dollars at work (but for once for a good cause)... I have had the arguement with an insurance person...'Doesn't ALL water come from the outside? Last time I checked my house didn't actually produce any..' but I digress... What was my first statement? Oh... yeah... it sucks.... You shouldn't have to pay a dime...

Another problem, I think, is that salaries for specialties like surgery or anesthesiology are so high, that fewer doctors are going into general practice. And that is really where we need the bulk of them. As the baby boomer population ages, they will place an even greater demand on the medical profession, and that is part of the concern I think about having a shortage of doctors.

I agree.... the low pay and long hours of FP have deterred many of my colleagues from not specializing. However, there are still many who are drawn to that type of continuity of care.

I just have to correct one thing, surgeons do not make that much in comparison and the opportunity costs are astonishing. While anesthesia make it out in 4 years of residency, it is common for surgeons to require anywhere between 7 to 8 or 9 years before becoming a junior attending. That is nearly double the residency time and double the time for their loans to accumulate interest (if at 8%, you can see how that will easily translate to a much larger loan amount). And in the end, surgeons make the same or less than anesthesiologists.

Despite the differences, many med students are driven by what they like to do and this is why there is a surge in the number of surgery residents my year (and I'm sure Grey's Anatomy helps :) ) of graduation (and the recent adoption of the 80 hour residency work week cap).

That said, many med students choose between a selection of specialties after ruling out a certain number of specialties based on the lack of compensation. You can't help it, the opportunity costs are too much and add to the little known fact that the Bush regime has recently cut economic hardship for new residents starting my year.

In the past, residents were granted 3 years of economic hardship - where their loans did not accrue interest on the loan principal. Now, I only have 2 years of this, the year after me only has 1 year of EH and the 2010 class has no EH years.... meaning interest accrues IMMEDIATELY after medical school.

At a loan principal of 200,000, 3 years of economic hardship means that after 3 years of residency, I would owe 200,000. Without EH, a loan of 200,000 would easily become 270,000 to nearly 300,000 at the end of 3 years... depending on interest. Now, take into account that it takes nearly 8 years to be a plastic surgeon, 8 years to be an interventional cardiologist, 6 years to be a pulmonologist/nephrologist/gastroenterologist.... and you can easily see that it is easy for the loan principal to more than DOUBLE especially without EH in place.

Take that tidbit and add the fact that we have a government and insurance companies who see the salaries of physicians as a largely flexible number to cut as they see fit.... a fantastic target for those who want to cut medical expenses. That's what you get when you have the wrong people in charge - accountants who do not have any medical sense.

There are exceptions to everything but the typical family practice physician nowadays makes about $150K ...that's after eight years of college and two years of internship. (incurring anywhere from $250-500K of debt) The typical ARNP (Nurse Practitioner) makes about $80K after seven years of college and about two years hospital practicum (incurring $150-250K debt) . I know these facts because medicine is my wife's and brother's business (she is an ARNP, he is an IM Doc) and we are preparing to open her own practice and I've been doing the research for the business plan.

Just a quick FYI Jerry, FPs require 3 not 2 years of residency. Maybe it was 2 before but it's currently 3 from what I know. This fact just makes your argument even stronger.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back