Impedance questions..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

negativexer0

Reaction score
I have questions, and I think I have trolled here and avsforum without finding an answer, so hopefully I'm not starting a redundant thread.. I am just joining the ML club, fiance bought me the Sources and a Pioneer VSX-33, still waiting on the speakers :(. I noticed that the Sources have a 5 ohm rating, and the VSX-33 can switch between 6 and 8 ohm. While I have a general, top-level understanding of resistance in regards to speakers and amplifiers, I know enough to know I don't know enough. I have two questions:

1.) Which is a better resistance level for these speakers? I know they will handle either, but am curious if one is better for audio quality or longevity.

2.) Is there a website or source anyone would recommend that dives in to this topic a little more? I would like to understand more on this..

Your best bet is to switch the Pioneer between 6 and 8 phms, and decide which sounds best to you.

While I have a general, top-level understanding of resistance in regards to speakers and amplifiers

First - it's impedance, not resistance. Music is sinewave (AC).

1. Now, from my understanding, the switch on receivers like the Pioneer are there simply to limit current and prevent damage to the receiver when using lower impedance speakers. As you can imagine, this quashes sound quality.

You're better off leaving it on the 8-ohm setting, meaning full current is available to drive the speakers. You'll then need to use common sense to avoid damage. A far better option anyway, and you should be using common sense anyway.

2. The Wikipedia entry on Impedance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance) is a good start.

Last edited:
I have questions, and I think I have trolled here and avsforum without finding an answer, so hopefully I'm not starting a redundant thread.. I am just joining the ML club, fiance bought me the Sources and a Pioneer VSX-33, still waiting on the speakers :(. I noticed that the Sources have a 5 ohm rating, and the VSX-33 can switch between 6 and 8 ohm. While I have a general, top-level understanding of resistance in regards to speakers and amplifiers, I know enough to know I don't know enough. I have two questions:

1.) Which is a better resistance level for these speakers? I know they will handle either, but am curious if one is better for audio quality or longevity.

2.) Is there a website or source anyone would recommend that dives in to this topic a little more? I would like to understand more on this..

Hey Neg,

These are good questions that have more than a few people scratching their heads... here's a short article that does a nice job summarizing the situation. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/audio/imped.html#c1

In the end, it always comes down to what sounds best to you.

Cheers

It's not a question of what's best for the speakers, it's what's best for the amplifier. Low impedance speakers require more signal current and less signal voltage. High impedance speakers require more signal voltage and less signal current. Some amplifiers can be optimized by switching from a high voltage mode to a high current mode.

For any one that really wants to learn a lot about Electrostats, powering options and much, much more, there is an amazing thread at another forum.

Please, please do yourself a favor and read what a truly knowledgeable person in the field has to say about all these topics. Roger Sanders is one of the best at explaining how things work, why certain options are better than others and in general, is an authoritative source on amps and electrostats.

He literally wrote the book on ESL design (which I have, it's a must read for serious ESL aficionados).

For any one that really wants to learn a lot about Electrostats, powering options and much, much more, there is an amazing thread at another forum.

Please, please do yourself a favor and read what a truly knowledgeable person in the field has to say about all these topics. Roger Sanders is one of the best at explaining how things work, why certain options are better than others and in general, is an authoritative source on amps and electrostats.

He literally wrote the book on ESL design (which I have, it's a must read for serious ESL aficionados).

Outstanding amount of info in that thread...thanks for the link.

Back