I think I got cheated

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
If you purchased a pair of speakers and they were discribed as in very good condition and sounded perfect would you expect to find a panel looking this way? The foam in the upper right corner is seperated and Mylar is seriously wrinkled.

Previous owner says that is the way he purchased them and they sound fine to him. Refusing to take them back.

Attachments

• Chi-Dai CLS 002 (Medium).jpg
    Chi-Dai CLS 002 (Medium).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 327
  • Chi-Dai CLS 006 (Medium).jpg
    Chi-Dai CLS 006 (Medium).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 325
  • Chi-Dai CLS 008 (Medium).jpg
    Chi-Dai CLS 008 (Medium).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 324
Sad but you got taken by a liar and a rotten person. That is obvious. Take a Hair dryer to it. Most will tighten up. Its never gonna fix it permanently but it will help! As for the separation. Its common. They made a top cover on the later runs that covered that. Rosewood ! Nice.

Bummer. If you did not buy via eBay, A'gon, etc, but paid via PayPal or a Credit Card, you may still have some recourse to force the owner to reimburse you, or perhaps settle for a lesser price.

Only being in this game for a relatively short time, I too have gotten less than the anticipated goods. I suspect for the same reason - they talked a good game about being a fellow enthusiast and I mistook that for competence and honesty. Now here's the kicker. The people into tweako oddities came through with what was advertised while the one and only level headed "straight Shooter" tookl me for a ride (doesn't say much for me but I'm the exception :cool:).
Sorry you were misled, Brad. I'll be glad to publicly trade names though.

What did you pay for them and where did you buy them...

It's really tough buying big speakers used via shipping. Hopefully, you got a good enough deal that you can re-panel them and not be out too much.

Only being in this game for a relatively short time, I too have gotten less than the anticipated goods. I suspect for the same reason - they talked a good game about being a fellow enthusiast and I mistook that for competence and honesty. Now here's the kicker. The people into tweako oddities came through with what was advertised while the one and only level headed "straight Shooter" tookl me for a ride (doesn't say much for me but I'm the exception :cool:).
Sorry you were misled, Brad. I'll be glad to publicly trade names though.

Damn, I hope you are not talking about me and the CLS's I sold you.

OK , OK OK, Brad you got Rosewood frames and probably why you bought them in the first place. The panels you know are a crap shoot. What can you do. ship them back. Its shitty that someone would not disclose the real issues. Maybe you would have still bought them. I would if I wanted rosewood frames. However I would draw it to the seller and try and make a financial resstitution . Remember we have to live in our own skin. You can sleep at nite knowing you would not do this. Take them and re panel them . Its tough $$$$ to spend but I think you got them for the frames if I am correct.

Beakman, Brad's acknowledgment of that statement means he has character. The way I read your post is IT IS NOT directed at Brad. If so take it private and clear it up.

Sorry to see this happen.

I too have been ripped by a seller who misrepresented. The lesson learned is to pay by credit card. At least then there is some recourse.

Anyway, they are awesome speakers and i hope they work out for you.

Last edited:
I too have been ripped by a seller who misrepresented. The lesson learned is to pay by credit card. At least then there is some recourse.

I've had a pretty good time of buying stuff off the internet so far. I've read so many horror stories now though, that I always pay by credit card, especially when using PayPal.

While PayPal themselves won't do much, the moment you file a charge back they snap to action and take the funds back from the seller to make sure they're not out money.

Damn, I hope you are not talking about me and the CLS's I sold you.
:eek:God No! I was referring to the MR-78 that was dropped out of an aeroplane onto my doorstep. Nothing wrong with the speakers.
PS: My references were about sight unseen purchases over the net. I talked to all these folks on the phone. Brad, I would not class you as a "Tweako". You are indeed a straight shooter but certainly not the one I was referring to. I really do apologize for any leading reference that may have confused you with anyone lesser of integrity.

Last edited:
I personally never buy speakers unless I can go pick them up and listen.There is way too many variables on what everyone thinks is excellant shape.I expect something over 20 years old to have a few dings,but panels is another story.At $1500 a pop,I would always look and listen to them first.Hopefully you can get some resolution.

:eek:God No! I was referring to the MR-78 that was dropped out of an aeroplane onto my doorstep. Nothing wrong with the speakers.
PS: My references were about sight unseen purchases over the net. I talked to all these folks on the phone. Brad, I would not class you as a "Tweako". You are indeed a straight shooter but certainly not the one I was referring to. I really do apologize for any leading reference that may have confused you with anyone lesser of integrity.

You don't need to apologize. I wanted to be sure I had not misrepresented anything.

OK , OK OK, Brad you got Rosewood frames and probably why you bought them in the first place. The panels you know are a crap shoot. What can you do. ship them back. Its shitty that someone would not disclose the real issues. Maybe you would have still bought them. I would if I wanted rosewood frames. However I would draw it to the seller and try and make a financial resstitution . Remember we have to live in our own skin. You can sleep at nite knowing you would not do this. Take them and re panel them . Its tough $$$$ to spend but I think you got them for the frames if I am correct.

Beakman, Brad's acknowledgment of that statement means he has character. The way I read your post is IT IS NOT directed at Brad. If so take it private and clear it up.

Actually CAP I have no interest in the Rosewood frames. I was going to sell them to another ML member here. I wanted the electronics and panels to go into some Oak frames I am lacquering black and then going to sell them for a reasonable price. I figured I could make a few bucks toward another upgrade and someone could get a good pair of CLSIIa's for a low price.

The fact that the panels were from 2001 and said to be in "very good condition" and "sounded perfect" along with the fact that the person sounded and was very nice when I met him gave me a high comfort level. I am either just too trusting of some people or a bad judge of character guess. My bad.

Now I will give all of you a chance to say Brad you are a dope. I looked at the speakers in the packing crate that had been made for them when I picked them up in South Carolina:eek:. I was in North Carolina and driving with in 20 miles of the speakers played a big part in deciding to pursue purchasing them.
The defective panel was on the bottom. I looked at the top panel and we lifted it to be able to see the second one. I was kneeling right over that corner and looking at the panel and I could not see the wrinkles. I wasn't until they were standing in my shop for a couple of hours I was at the right angle and noticed it.

I certainly am guilty of not seeing it and accept the consequences but my frustration is in being lied to about their condition and then having the seller admit they knew about it. I asked for a partial refund and we unable to come to an agreement. He said, for all he knows I may have damaged them so he has no interest in taking them back.

I'm not sure how I will proceed yet. I'm still pi**ed at myself and seller.

Anyone interested in a pair of Rosewood frames CLSII electronics upgraded to IIa with power sensing shut down and questionable panels?

When people started giving their sympathetic input I felt I should include the part of the story where Brad is a dope.

Sorry Brad, the fact you picked them up deletes any

sympathy I had for your situation, I think the seller owes

you nothing unless you think he intentionally tried to hide

the flaws.

If he knew then he tried to hide the problem by putting it on the bottom. Sorry to hear it, I could have easily made the same mistake.

You don't need to apologize. I wanted to be sure I had not misrepresented anything.
Nope, you had told me of everything to expect with the speakers, and I accepted that and bought them. I received what you described so I say that's a very square deal. Don't worry about any misrepresentation on your part. There was none.

Latest posts

Back