How to open Summit lower grid

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidV100

Reaction score
Hello Martin Logan Owners,

I am a long time ML Summit Owner, and I used to post on this forum.
But I have not done it for years, and lost my credential.
So I am back... to request your help.

I just noticed a screw came loose and has fallen on the inner floor of the lower woofer.
How can I open this lower grill ? I hope it is not too difficult, I have two left hands.

I post two picture to illustrate this issue.

Thank you very much.

David, Wavre, Belgium, Europe

Attachments

• IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3223.jpg
    IMG_3223.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 136
Hola David,

To get there, you have to remove the stat panel with the lower grid. It is better to do that with the help of a friend. Two persons. Lay the Summit on one side, and there you can see the screws that are securing the bottom to the cabinet. Sometimes it is difficult to do this without removing the stat panel complete. I might be wrong, but I don't think that screw belongs to your Summits...or it could be one that secures the woofer to the cabinet.

Why don't you try to take it out, with the help of a tweezers? Perhaps the wife can help you with one. PM if you want further help.

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Thank you Roberto.
Yes I think it is one that secures the woofer to the cabinet.
It may not be seen easily on the picture, but the head of the screw is way too big to have made its way through the holes of the grill.
So it has to come from the inside.
Have you done this before ? I hope I do not have to remove the whole panel.
Is the front grill in one part ? Or in two parts (one for the stator, one for the woofer) ?

Last edited:
Unfortunately entire panel (upper part) and woofer grill is one assembly piece being holded together by side bars.

You may try to get this screw following roberto advice by unscrew lower brackets (3 screws) and very gently tilting entire panel to gave enough opening just to remove this loosen screw. But - assuming that this woofer screw - this will not help you to get it back in the place where it should be.

I guess better route would be:
- unplug power and leave speakers for some time (e.g. over the night) - this is to discharge panel. Important step, do not skip this.
- unscrew 2 small screws holding top cover of bass unit (this cover with blue lights) - you will find those screws at the top of the back of bass cabinet - and remove this cover.
- mark position of the wires coming to the wire block at the top of bass enclosure and disconnect them.
- lay down your Summit on the side.
- unscrew bottom brackets (3 relatively short screws)
- unscrew top bracket - this is piece of alu bar being fastened to bass enclosure by 3 pretty long screws. One of the screw has also earth cable connected to it.
- gently pull out entire panel.

Now you should have an easy access to remove your loosen screw and check if this is woofer one.

rgds
-jacek

Thank you Roberto.
Yes I think it is one that secures the woofer to the cabinet.
It may not be seen easily on the picture, but the head of the screw is way too big to have made its way through the holes of the grill.
So it has to come from the inside.
Have you done this before ? I hope I do not have to remove the whole panel.
Is the front grill in one part ? Or in two parts (one for the stator, one for the woofer) ?
David, PM me (private message) with your email address. I have some info for you.

Latest posts

Back