How to connect Depth I to preamp and receiver?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys;

I first joined back in the fall after I heard the vantages at my local tweeter. Loved it so much, put money down right away. Was expecting to move into new home before new year, but trouble with builder pushed it till now. But, finally I am installing my system this and next week.

I have a question regarding using the Depthi I ordered with both a receiver and stereo preamp. The receiver plugs into the LFE input, and preamp into the right and left preamp input. But, here is my dumb question.

When I play stereo music through the preamp, I can turn the receiver off so the sub only sees one signal. But, when I watch movies the stereo preamp would be in processor pass through mode but it's going to be on, so the sub will see signals from both the LFE and the stereo preamp. Is it going to work? I want to make sure the installers wire things correct the next time they come to finish the install.

Here's what I've done and it works A-OK for me, remember, first and foremost I'm a two channel guy.

My sub is connected ONLY via RCA I/C's to a second pair of 'outs' from my preamp. This is perfect for two channel, now when utlizing the Receiver for HT duty and the preamp set to 'processor/unity gain' again it's A-OK !!

Keep in mind when setting up your receiver for L/R Speaker "size" you must set it to LARGE, so as the entire freq range is sent via the preamp 'out' connections.

So the subwoofer instead of LFE connection, when watching the movies, the bass signal is also sent through the preamp?

That solves the problem of having to set 2 different levels on the sub, one for movies and one for music. And, I don't think the martin logan has memory to store settings and remote control to allow you to change which is a bummer. thanks

You raise an interesting question. I just assumed that whenever there is a LFE signal that it overides the L/R input signal. I am not really sure how and when the LFE signal is present either. I also have assumed that LFE is the way to go for movies but L/R will also work with speakers set to large.

I hope all this uniformation helps:confused:

Last edited:
Just read the martin logan website. They state that you can set a different cutoff frequency and boost for the LFE and the preamp L/R. But the manual doesn't tell you how to do that! That is frustrating! Going to have to wait till monday to call martin logan support. My dealers are no help, I know more about audio than they do and that's not saying much.

Hey guys, got an answer from Martin Logan.

If you connect the Depthi or Descenti to both a processor/receiver, and a stereo preamp via both the LFE and left and right preout input. The depthi will automatically sense it is a digital signal from the processor via the LFE and it takes precedence and ignores the signal from the preout. This way, you have to use the processor's crossover settings, when listening to stereo the settings on the sub takes over.

Back