Home Theater Equipment "HTPC"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioseduction

Reaction score
Do any of you use a HTPC to store your movies and to play from? Do you store both DVDs and Blu-Rays? I'm currently loading my HTPC with all of my DVDs. Then next will be my Blu-Rays. After that I will box up my dvds/Blu-Rays and store them in a closet.

Here is a shot of my 73" HD screen with JRMC. The HTPC plays excellent. Going to enjoy watching my oldie but goodies soon!

201205HT.jpg

Last edited:
I use an HTPC for videos.

My storage is my server in the closet. 12TB's of sweet goodness :)

I started to, but after I did the math and decided that I needed 24TB to be happy with the set up, I decided not to do it. I do use my 6tb server for streaming music and other content (mostly topgear... lol), though.

I'm not a big video guy, but I do stream video occasionally from the Squeezebox server (just a SMB share on it) via wi-fi to a DGTEC media box. 720p is fine - 1080p can get a little shaky depending on bitrate. It's good enough for the one or two times I turn the TV on each year........ :)

I have been running an HTPC since 2001, so have been through all kinds of iterations here ;)

Currently use it just for high-rez audio playback from ripped CDs, DVD-A (to multichannel FLAC) and high-rez purchased downloads. I use Foobar2000 as the player.

I rent DVDs and BluRays (Netflix) so I don't really need to store those on a server, but now that more music is being released on BluRay, I might need to figure that angle out.

The JRMC looks like a nice front end, but I care less about on-screen UI since I use the Apple remote app on iPad or my iPhone to control FooBar2000, so I have all the UI I need.
This probably is more of a side-effect of being a front projection user and don't want to rack up the hours on the PJ and have the extra fan noise when listening to music (I have a 21" LCD near my main seat for UI display when listening).

I'll be setting up a 15TB RAID 5 unit tomorrow. It will consist of 5 3TB 7200RPM drives. Will have pics soon.

Latest posts

Back