Home Theater Center: Is Electrostatic Important? Mainly Voice, Right?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remoteportal

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but it's on my mind:

For a home theater setup, ML sells the vignette, which appears to be the lowest-end center speaker. It's about 600 bucks. This might be a relative/opinion question, but from a ROI (return-on-investment) point of view is it worth it to buy a electrostatic for the center speaker since it's only voice? :confused: The left/right main speakers, if Vistas, would drive most of the non-voice sound I would imagine. So I'm thinking that if on a budget that a $300 center from an online retailer like Amazon or Crutchfield might suffice.

Thanks in Advance,
Pete
Newby in Indian Trail, NC

Some would argue that in a home theater application the center channel is the MOST important speaker. 80% of the film sound content actually takes place in that center channel, so why would you want to go on the cheap in that area. I'm more of a 2 channel guy than an HT guy, but I believe our resident HT experts will tell you to buy the very best center you can afford.

Last edited:
Right. You want to splurge on a center not skimp.

Agreed.......but...... given your other "pending needs" I'd purchase a Fresco, use it for now and when $$$ permit, get another one, move them back for your surrounds and then splurge on the higher end center channel.

FWIW, I couldn't be happier than I am with my Fresco, but I too, like Tim, am first and foremost a two channel guy.

Spend on the center

I have the M-L Theater center--the best they made at the time and I've never looked back. No more "what did he say" from my wife. But, I have an absorber behind the center to reduce the effect of any backwave reflection from the rear of the stat panels. The center is necessarily mounted much closer to the front wall than would otherwise be desirable.

Some would argue that in a home theater application the center channel is the MOST important speaker. 80% of the film sound content actually takes place in that center channel

I would definatly argue that. For HT I believe the center is most important.

Some would argue that in a home theater application the center channel is the MOST important speaker. 80% of the film sound content actually takes place in that center channel, so why would you want to go on the cheap in that area. I'm more of a 2 channel guy than an HT guy, but I believe our resident HT experts will tell you to buy the very best center you can afford.

Amen brother.

Yes, it's so important that some people go completely off the deep end and build monster hybrids just to ensure the center is well represented for HT and just as importantly for multichannel audio.

With SACD/DVD-A and now BluRay high-rez audio discs available, a system that can provide excellent center channel reproduction is a must in my book

Oh, do NOT click on the SL3XC link in my sig, you might be shocked :eek:

Last edited:
I haven't heard JonFo's monster center speaker but I have heard the Motif center speaker and it blows away my Cinema center speaker.

Unfortunately, I heard what I've been missing and now I'm going to have to upgrade.

If you don't have a great center speaker and a good pair of mains then you may want to try using the Phantom center setting on your processor.

I agree with everyone else that for home theater, the center channel carries most of the sound so you want to get the best one that you can. If there are only a couple of you watching movies you can use a phantom center for a while until you can get a good center channel.

I started with Aerius speakers and Cinema center channel and bought Vistas. Now the Cinema is a decent center channel but it didn't match the Vista's as well as it did the Aerius's. I then added a Stage center channel and couldn't be happier.

I would say if you can live with a phantom center channel for a while, watch for a used Stage to come up on Audiogon and get it when you are ready.

Chuck

I haven't heard JonFo's monster center speaker but I have heard the Motif center speaker and it blows away my Cinema center speaker.

Unfortunately, I heard what I've been missing and now I'm going to have to upgrade.

Better not go listen to the Stage! ;)

While we are on the subject, will Motif pair well with Vistas, or do I need to get a Stage for them to match up well?

While we are on the subject, will Motif pair well with Vistas, or do I need to get a Stage for them to match up well?

I think either should pair up nicely with the Vistas. You should audition both to know whether the Stage is worth the extra money to you. But both should sound great with the Vistas.

If you don't have a great center speaker and a good pair of mains then you may want to try using the Phantom center setting on your processor.

I am curious regarding the specific areas that the Motif blows away the Cinema. The designs are quite similar. I would expect incremental improvements with the new micro perf technology and tweeter positioning, but not a quantum leap in performance. Did you take one home to compare in your room with your equipment?

If you have really good LR speakers, don't scrimp on the center. If you must and don't have many guests that sit to the side, you could consider not using a center until you can afford one that will complement and not degrade your system.

Pete.. not a stupid question at all.
Although I agree with moast of the recommedations, I'm going to go against the grain here.

I'm using the Vignette as a center channel and I am quite satisfied. Also need to consider what the mains are (missed what you are using). The Vingnette certainly does mate well with the Clarity's but if you have Vantage or higher, definite would look at a higher class of center channel. Spend the money proportionately and appropriately.

In the big picture and across the market, the Vignette is a pretty decent speaker. I have also heard that the Fresco is not much better, if at all. I would stay with ML's for the center as you will get better cohesion across the front and if you have to, skimp on the rears (my B&W M1's are great for rear)

It all comes down to budget and needs. Any decently matched set of ML's for HT with the proper amplification and source witll blow away most of what is out on the market.

I had a pair of vistas and 3 vignettes for a very short while. That center was replaced with the motif and I believe with vistas they are perfect together. I recently moved into a new house (pics will be up soon) and finally have the space to really use all this home theater stuff. My listening position is about 13 feet from the center channel and a/bing with the vignette for kicks it was much different. My 11 foot wide sectional is the sweet spot for movies with the motif, not just the center spot like with the vignette. Not sure what your application is, but for my space the motif was the way to go.

I enjoy both 2 ch and HT so I couldn't scrimp on the center since more than 80% of a movie soundtrack comes from that channel. I purchased the Stage and am very happy with the purchase. You really can hear the movies the way they want you to. All subtle nuances are audible.

Center channel is important in HT...so, spend away!! I am extremely happy with my STAGE and it is paired with Vantages.

I am mainly into 2-channel, and was using an inexpensive center, a B&W CC3, for HT. It worked well enough, but the TONALITY of the center didn't match my Summits particularly well. Now that I've upgraded to the Motif, the tonal match is a LOT better (not perfect, but close). IMHO, it takes over 100 hrs for the woofers on the Motif (likewise other ML hybrid centers) to "break in," so you can't really judge performance fresh out of the box. Try to audition a "broken-in" one in your own system.

I have heard the Motif center speaker and it blows away my Cinema center speaker.

I was thinking I could get a used Cinema from Audiogon or eBay. Now I'm scarred it might not be good enough. :( I head the Motif at Tweeter and I must say that 90% of the movie was coming through that thing.

Back