Hey Guys- Summits and tubes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Bob

Reaction score
Hi- I'm new to this forum, but not to ML-

I have a pair of Odysseys and a pair of claritys on 2 seperate systems.
I may be buying Summits tomorrow:bowdown:
Up late researching tonight- all the press is good, but obviously they are pricey! Anyway I am running a PrimaLuma prologue 3 pre-amp and
PrimaLuna prologue 7 monoblocks w/ SED 6550 tubes. Fine for the Odyssey, but i keep reading how power hungry the summits are and how the impedence dips to 0.7 or so at some frequencies. Frankly with the powered sub i thought they might be easier to run than the big sealed box 8 & 10" of the Odyssey :confused:

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

I haven't compared the models of which you speak against each other, but yes, I do think the Summits would be an easier drive. It's just that they're a super high-end speaker and will benefit from as much power as you can give them. That doesn't mean they need more power than the Odyssey. To the contray.

As with most of these things, a stable, high-current amp is more important than absolute power. If the amp is deficient in any way, you'll hear with much more clarity on the Summit and I think this is what everyone means with what you are reading.

Best thing is to listen with your intended amp and see what you think.

Good luck.

Summits are not really difficult to drive. I've been using MLs with tubes for years. My current configuration is an ARC Ref110 with my Summits. The combination sounds great. BTW, this is also a 6550 based design. I'd say you'd have no difficulty.

Ive used those amps with my Summits and they work better than a few other things I've tried, because they have a 2ohm tap.

It will still be a touch softer than a SS amp and you will be limited as far as volume level, but surprisingly, those monos are one of the best inexpensive match ups with the Summit.

Should you find the high end is a bit rolled off for your taste, try a set of DH Labs Silver Sonic speaker cables. The silver will give you a bit of extra zip.

PM me if you'd like to borrow mine, I can hook you up.

Good luck,

Jeff

Unlike the Odysseys your amps will only be driving the panels. The Summits have two internal amps each to drive the woofers. It would essentially be the same as biamping your Odysseys with SS amps on the bottom end.

The Summits are a relatively easy load as far as electrostats go and a high current amp will provide a little better resolution at the frequency extremes.

I think the Summits will be easier to drive than the Odysseys - as you say, no big cones to move as well!!

I used to run an Air Tight ATM2 - tried loads of different KT88s and 6550s. By far and away the best tube you can buy for your amps is the EAT KT88. The Summit will show you just how good the EATs are. There is a caveat - they are expensive and unfortunately not the most reliable tube.

Then, when funds permit, check out some powerfull 211 or 845 designs, preferably single-ended. My 211 monos completely blew my Air Tight out of the water!

http://www.euroaudioteam.com/kt88diamond.php

Tubes + ESLs = bliss, I reckon.

Enjoy!

Justin

Question on Summits

Hey Guys- thanks fo the help and advise on the summits :music:
I struggled most of the day to make a decision, but-
A pair of summits (#40 and #41 sn) are sitting in my living room tonight!

Please don't get me wrong- the speakers are awesome- that is a no-brainer,
but with a wife and kids the funds are not an afterthought-how many years of college would that buy :)

I will set them up soon when i'm not rushed.

I have an esoteric question that i hope someone might know; with the
summit discontinued, how many pairs were produced in the 2 yrs+ they were made?

Awesome forum
-Bob

Can't answer the Summit question, but enjoy those Summits. Congratulations!

Let us know what you think of them when they are hooked up.

Latest posts

Back