High Current, High Watt Solid State (ie. Innersound ESL) Vs Tubes for Summits?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone who enjoyed a valve sound like the audio research, Cary, CJ, etc, switched to Sanders and prefer it?

Has anyone who enjoyed a valve sound like the audio research, Cary, CJ, etc, switched to Sanders and prefer it?
Sure. I used a pair of VTL MB450 Sigs and a pair of Rogue M150's, but preferred the Sanders to both. YMMV.

I use the ARC Ref 3 pre into my my ESL monoblocs, so I guess you could say I have the best of both worlds. But yes, while I enjoy the valve sound (I also have a CJ Premiere 275 with a CJ tube pre), I prefer the neutrality (and low maintenance) of the ESL monoblocs.

Thanks - I will be moving to full range planars soon, then will give the Magtech a try, should happen over the next 3 months

No matter what SS options I've tried, and I have tried a lot, all the way up to silly expensive, I always end up preferring my valve 211 based monos. Just love them to bits on Logans & Apogees.

Pretty rare by any standards, but very nearly purchased new by a friend who wants me to leave them to him in my will, LOL. Cheeky bugger - he's older than me:) He was obsessed with them for a few months and very nearly drove out to Austria to get a pair.

How much wattage do your amps have, Justin, I am surprised they can drive your apogees so powerfully, given its reputation as a tough to drive speaker

They are only good to a point, whereupon they run out of steam, but you're talking above 95DB which is louder than I listen. You should have come round when I had the Parasound A21. Or Jim's Rowland 301s. The dynamics with the Parasound, actually less powerful than the Rowlands, was just astonishing. And that's the problem - it is just too much - you can't really cope with it long term. Well I couldn't, anyway.

The 211s are just more natural sounding. Less forced. Nominally the amps are only 80 Watts, but can peak at twice that. Duettas are one of the easier Apogees to drive.

EDIT: The older lead lined Wilsons with high power SS input can manage extraordinary bass at very high SPLs without subs. I couldn't believe it when I cranked up Jim's old ones. Way beyond what a Duetta can manage.

Last edited:
Back