Help selecting surrounds and rears for my system.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume from your post that you would recommend your best surrounds in the rear rather than on the side?

Depends on how you set up. If doing a 7.1 with back surrounds on the rear wall for Dolby EX and the like, then yes, your best surrounds go on the sides.

If doing a 7.1 with processors like Meridian, which use the rear and sides for 2ch enhancement or even Dolby digital 5.1 -> 7.1 enhancement, and you flag the rears as primes, the sides could be smaller / less capable. This is what I do.

So, it really depends on the processor your have and how it can be setup and how you will use this.

[Setting a record for delayed response with this reply, hope it’s not to late ;) ]

Any changes in opinion in almost 2 years? I've always had Scripts on my list for rears, but now I'm actually getting close to finishing the drywall in my theater and need to make some plans. Suggestions?

Where will the scripts be relative to the listeners?

Or better yet, where do the prime seats go relative to the rest of the room?

I also vote vor the Vignettes.. I'm using one as my centre channel and it's perfect in a smaller room. They do need a while to lose their 'edginess'.
Have you taken a look at the B&W M-1's. I am very pleased with mine.
A friend of mine has the Omnistats but I prefer the M-1's.

The Scripts would be stuffed in the rear corners. Probably not ideal for the back row as they would be sitting right next to them. The prime seats would be about 7' or so in front of them.
Maybe the Mirage's would be best in my case. That could get a little distance from the back row listener's ears and be more direct for the front row. And at $300 verses $750-1000 it's hard to argue too much against them.

Don't forget that Martin Logan now makes an in-ceiling speaker (the Helos 100) that would probably be very good for surround duty in tight spaces.

Don't forget that Martin Logan now makes an in-ceiling speaker (the Helos 100) that would probably be very good for surround duty in tight spaces.
I tried to find a price but no luck. Any idea?

I hate to kill the mood here, but ML does realize these are in-ceiling speakers right? I know gold is high these days, but I didn't think it took that much to plate some terminals!
Holy smolies!!!
Those Omnisats are lookin' pretty good!

"Third" on the Mirage Omnisats

I have an 11.2 setup, with bi-amped M-L Ascent i's on fronts and M-L Theater for center. The side surrounds are a pair of Omnisats on each side mounted one foot below the 9 ft ceiling, firing up to the ceiling. The reason for the pair on each side is that they were in another room in a 7.1 setup, with rear and side surrounds. When I moved everything to a dedicated home theater, I used an old pair of AR 58Bx for the rear, and doubled the sides with the Omnisats, mounted 5 ft apart with each slightly behind each of the two rows of seating. The omnisats give a very diffuse soundfield and I can never identify the source of the sound during movies. I'm very happy with the integrated sound. The purist in me would have liked to do scripts, but I faced some problems: WAF for the appearance of the panels at the wall/ceiling interface (she is the "decider" when it comes to appearance), and the "beamed" output of the electrostat panels. I have two rows of 4-across seating and I couldn't work out a placement that covered the whole seating area without putting up a pair on each side. The small white Omnisats easily passed the WAF test.

I just might pull the trigger on some Omnistats then.
WAF is not an issue(I'm the man of the house(my wife doesn't read these forums... I hope)). She just wants the room done. But I would rather spend the money on a 1080p projector. Anyone recommend a good online dealer for Mirage? Or maybe one in Kansas City?

I just might pull the trigger on some Omnistats then.
WAF is not an issue(I'm the man of the house(my wife doesn't read these forums... I hope)). She just wants the room done. But I would rather spend the money on a 1080p projector. Anyone recommend a good online dealer for Mirage? Or maybe one in Kansas City?

Just did a quick search but didn't check prices. There's probably others
www.onecall.com
www.crutchfield.com
www.vanns.com

I hate to kill the mood here, but ML does realize these are in-ceiling speakers right? I know gold is high these days, but I didn't think it took that much to plate some terminals!
Holy smolies!!!

Have you priced quality in-ceiling speakers lately. Sure, you can buy them cheap from Best Buy, but if you want high quality name-brand in-ceiling speakers, they are not cheap. The thing about ML is they don't produce five or six different levels of quality/price points. They only have one in-ceiling speaker and I imagine it is top notch, just like their in-wall and on-wall speakers are. All of this is speculation, though, because it is a new product and I haven't heard it yet. But I have little doubt that they are worth the price ML is charging.

Back