guilty pleasure recording

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's my secret...

Hola chicos! My music is Blood Sweat & Tears...spinning wheel and Vanilla Fudge...Ticket to Ride (Lennon & McCartney) in my Linn Sondek 12 / Magnepan unipivot Unitrack tone arm with Sumiko S Cartridge. Still sounding great!

Have fun, and enjoy your listening. Music is the food of our Spirit!!!
Regards,
Roberto.

Hey Roberto -

That Blood Sweat & Tears (ca. 1970?) was going to be the first guilty pleasure that I was going to list too! What about early Chicago, The Blues Project, early Dylan, etc.?

BTW - SME 10, Graham 1.5t with 2.2 bearing and ceramic wand, Shelter 90x.
Need recommendations for appropriate phono stage.

Last edited:
Frampton Too!

Sky Saw said:
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Do you feel like I do?

Probably throw that on a couple of times per year. Needs to be very loud!

still have over 3000 lps around...

aliveatfive said:
Hey Roberto -

That Blood Sweat & Tears (ca. 1970?) was going to be the first guilty pleasure that I was going to list too! What about early Chicago, The Blues Project, early Dylan, etc.?

Yes, love Chicago, and what about Chicano and Chase? (3 trumpets here with very good arranged)...also I like Bob James and Eumir Deodato. There are so many good music and musicians around! I thanks God for this!!!!

Regarding your phono set up, you have a super vinyl stage!!!...I love the sound of C-J on phono pre-amp...I just love tube sound. Also try a Sota head amp...it is class A amp and when I had my Golmund Studio (now the arm is broken) I used it a lot giving one of the best scenarios that I have ever had. Try to get some MPingo discs for your turntable...(www.shunmook.com)...they really work!

Still have all my Lps collection and are in good shape thanks to nitty gritty and vps record cleanning machines...I make my own clinning fluid.

Cheers,
Roberto.

God forgive me for admitting to this.

ABBA - Gold....... and the first one to make a nasty comment gets 50 lashes with my spare 2m power cords.

aliveatfive said:
Hey Roberto -

Why would you feel guilty about those selections?

I was listenning to a 90x with an Airtight phono stage (in fact all Airtight amplification) last week using the big Nottingham table with an SME V arm to drive some Avalon speakers. Sounded great! Better than GREAT! Like a Koetsu with balls!

I have a 501 on order. It was suppose to in yesterday. It was a no show. BOO! WHOO! Damn stereophile review!

I found that 501 closer to the 90x than the 901. The 901 is a bit dry and analytical. Wish I could shell out for the 90x.

Just 'cause they came from my immature, impetuous youth. I really do find it difficult to listen to the stuff I grew up with (PP&M, Baez, J. Collins,etc.) I don't know why.

I hear the 501 is, in many ways, a better cart than the 901. (Told to me by a salesperson in THE major audio salon in NYC. I ordered my 90x from Music Direct on the net. Delivery time was about 2 weeks.

socialxray said:
I am not gay but I do sneak some early Boy George when no one is looking. :eek:
As long as Boy George does not sneak into you when no one is looking - you are okay.

kach22i said:
As long as Boy George does not sneak into you when no one is looking - you are okay.

This could be taken SO many ways!

Opps...........guess it could.

I'm not going to judge anyone here one way or the other, just making a small joke/play on words.

Why Boy George gets singled out when so many talented gays/bi's are in the music business is weird - must be the dress.

The two list going A; "Guilty Pleasure".........and B; "Desert Island picks" might have a little cross over themselves - don't know how that's possible.

Last edited:
kach22i said:
Why Boy George gets singled out when so many talented gays/bi's are in the music business is weird - must be the dress.
QUOTE]

That is because (aside from Freddy Mercury) he was the most talented. Plus he was kinda cute back in the day. ;)

OK OK, there are tons of awesome gay musicians! Boy George just wore it on his sleeve.

boy george

I dont know who his female back-up singers were but they could sure belt out a tune. I gave Boz Scaggs-Silk Degrees a spin the other night. As they said back then Boz is the buzz.

K - I got one for U guys

How about: ACDC - If You Want Blood.

Just got done with a whole lot of Air-Guitar!

OH No!!! The blinds were open. What will the neighbors think!

TomDac said:
I have Culture Club's greatest hits... I think they made some very good music.. I'm VERY into 80's music...
OK Tom, how about best Artists/Albums of the '80s? Here are some of my picks:

Shriekback - Oil & Gold. This is an incredible '80s album and a must-have. If I wasn't so lazy, I would review it for the forum.
The Cure - The Head on The Door. This album put the Cure on the Map.
Psychedelic Furs. Everyone knows Pretty in Pink, but P-furs runs much deeper than that song. In fact, Pretty in Pink is to the Furs what Fridays I'm in Love was to The Cure (ie: facile tune from good band).
Talking Heads. They must be on everyone's '80s list.
Kate Bush - The Hounds of Love. The look, the sound, the jeans...what can I say? Kate had it all.
King Crimson - Discipline. Kind-of a carry-over from the '70s, which I tried to avoid, but Discipline really belongs in the '80s. so here it is.
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream '81, '82, '83, '84. Somehow S-Minds were passed over by the '80s revivalists, but to me they were at the dead-centre of '80s music.
Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids.
New Order. And Joy Division by default.
Depeche Mode.
Laurie Anderson - Big Science. If you don't have this or United States Live, you should get them; if not for yourself then for your MLs.

There are so many more (Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, etc.), but these were at the core of my '80s listening. I hope you guys will post your favs. Maybe next we can do the best forgotten music from the '80s.

Oh yeah, I forgot Duran Duran. I hated these guys in the 80's (becuase all the chicks loved them!) but their tunes where just so catchy!

Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand...

I can't think of just one but Mountains "Nantucket Sleighride" bring back fond memories of a much earlier time...and Mountain was my first concert. Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon has been played over and over... from LP to 8 track to cassette to CD to SACD... I've done my job in supporting the band!

Back