Got my Krell KSA300s amp - she's a BIG beauty!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordon, I'll help you spend some money!! I use Symposium Roller Blocks on every one of of my pieces. I use three under each piece, but considering the weight your dealing with I'd suggest four.

The effect is not night and day but at this level, very few things are. There is a sublime reduction in noise and trash which I have found to be worth the money to me. I've yet to try the hockey puck recommendation by Gordon G. He has been to my house and respect his opinion very highly. I'm afraid his and(Rich's) recommendation for the pucks may invalidate my expenditure on the roller blocks!!

Either way you go, vibration control is a real and valuable road to travel.

Gordon

Gordon, I'll help you spend some money!! I use Symposium Roller Blocks on every one of of my pieces. I use three under each piece, but considering the weight your dealing with I'd suggest four.

The effect is not night and day but at this level, very few things are. There is a sublime reduction in noise and trash which I have found to be worth the money to me. I've yet to try the hockey puck recommendation by Gordon G. He has been to my house and respect his opinion very highly. I'm afraid his and(Rich's) recommendation for the pucks may invalidate my expenditure on the roller blocks!!

Either way you go, vibration control is a real and valuable road to travel.

Gordon

Gordon, interesting for sure! How much are these things? I have never seen them before. I went on their website but they said to call for pricing. That looks like a pretty massive contraption to have under your equipment... Do you have any pictures of how it looks under your equipment?

Wow! All these Gordon's responing to a thread!! Any way, the roller blocks are very tiny despite any pictures you may have seen. They only raise the piece about 1/4 inch higher than the normal feet. There is a a block of aluminum which is drilled and filled with some type of goo. (technical description!) Then there is a machined cup in the top in which a ball bearing can move around. The component sits directly on the ball and if there is some problem with that, they provide a steel plate to provide a flat surface. A very nicely done piece of gear.

If I recall, I think I spent about $1.3K to do five pieces. I received better response from room treatments to be honest with you, but the little things all count and don't discount the added benefit.

Gordon

That looks like a MONSTER amp. Hope it sound as good as it looks!

Last edited:
i picked up the black granite piece i had fabricated by my granite guy. He cut a 20x24" piece, polished all edges and drilled 4 small holes underneath for the spikes and 4 1.5" holes for air ventilation. I ended up using 4 hockey pucks sandwiched betwen a sorbothane disk that sits on top of the granite. I think this will work really well and it looks fine imo.. The extra clearance on the bottom should aid in ventilation for this "space heater"!

I have attached a few pictures.
;)

i disagree with what other people here are saying. I reckon you've more or less got things right as it looks in your photos. As long as you combine 'SPIKES' with a form of 'SHOCK ABSORBER' (i.e. Sorbothane) then you've achieved success - Fact!! Just using multiple forms of spikes on their own without a shock absorber is simply not good enough to block out vibrations. Check out my amp stand arrangement below, notice it uses spikes underneath then a grey colour sponge above, SANDWICHED BETWEEN 2 BOARDS.

Attachments

• ONETO.jpg
    ONETO.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Hi Dan,

I certainly understand your position. On the other hand, I've tried various isolation products and have found that they all have their unique sonic signature. Sorbo feet, in my experience, tend to soften and dull the sound. I've ended up using Mapleshade brass cones for the most part because I like their impact on the sound in my system.

In this case, Gordon will have had the chance to listen to the setup you think is appropriate. In a week or so, he can listen to my mouse trap and then he can decide which he prefers.

GG

PS: FWIW, there are numerous amp stand products that don't have the sandwich design

Last edited:
Have you tried a combination of sorbothane and spikes together? They are beneficial when used together rather then on their own. I know what you mean by that softness, however the combination has a different sound altogether than sorbothane on it's own. By the way the sandwich design is my own and i actually paid a company to make the stand to my specifications using birch plywood. I've now replaced the grey foam in the middle of the stand with 4 sorbothane shoes. Now absolutely no vibration is coming through to the amplifier sitting on top of it. I hear no sonic signature to it either.

Last edited:
Pucker up!

Hi Gordon,

I am delighted to see the granite idea has worked for you. Looks great and provides a wonderfully inert platform.

I used to use Sorbathane feet but also heard the dull softening audio effects and moved on. On my gear I use differing items. Under the large heavy Jeff Rowland power amps I used the cones supplied on top of the granite. Under preamps, DACs, transports I use a lighter carbon and Kevlar base spiked. Under some specific items I have a variant on the hockey puck suggestion, Antispikes.

Try looking here:
http://www.audioplan.eu/03e_products/03e_prod4_si/03e_si_antispike/03e_s_aspikeg.html

I am always amazed how much influence vibration has on audio products, Jeff Rowland has done a lot to mitigate against such influences, I have no idea on the Krell but suspect cones and pucks will assist.

Your ears will confirm each addition as you can insert and remove and easily replicate the change in sound, using a female voice was my measurement reference.

Happy listening Gordon

Fjeff

Hi Fjeff,

Glad to hear you are as sensitive to the effect of these devices as I am.

It really is a major system upgrade once you've got the correct vibration attenuation devices in place on all of your hardware.

Female voice is a good test. Another is well recorded jazz and classical given the typical recording ambience that exists on this type of material. The ability to clearly "hear" the recording venue is a tough test for any system.

GG

Back