From maggies to MLs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al

Reaction score
New guy here! Hello everyone. I am a long time maggie guy having gone through several models in the maggie line (1.6 & 3.6). The maggies are great speakers, but like every speaker, they have their pros and cons.

I recently picked up a pair of Ascents from a local Audiogoner. These have been upgraded with the "i" woofers. I must say they have a great bottom end when blended with my ML Depth sub that I had with my maggies. Right now I am trying to make a decision on what to do with my 3.6 maggies. One of the maggies is having a delamination issue causing a fuzzy sound at certain frequencies.

I originally bought the Ascents to hold me over until I get the maggies fixed, and then possibly sell the MLs or move them upstairs into my 6.1 HT. BTW, I have 2 systems, a 2 channel music only and the HT.

But the longer I listen to the Ascents, the better I like them. They are close matches with the 3.6's with better dynamics and slam, but maybe just not as good at the very top end. But I would have no problem living with these speakers.

Nice site you guys have here!!

Attachments

• Ascents ML.JPG
    Ascents ML.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 343
Welcome! I to went from Maggie's to Logan's and have never looked back. I ended up with the CLS which when paired with a good sub is as good as it gets.

Big Al,

Beautiful system... We do love the photos here.:)

I was wondering about your acoustic treatments. Are those Tube Traps? If so, how do you like them? Also, is that some kind of Sub Trap under the Depth Sub? I ask because I'm treating my room with a combination of Real Traps, DIY Traps and I ordered an 18" square Sub Trap from Tube Traps.

Thanks,
Satch

Satch,

Yes, they are ASC Tube Traps and the Depth is sitting on an ASC Sub Trap. I also use fake ficus trees for diffusion and a few Sonex panels around the room to tame high end reflections. You also see some Michael Green Room Tunes along the ceiling.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hi Al,

Welcome to the ML club.

Nice system - the sub trap interests me. What is your perception of how much the trapping adds to bass control over getting the sub off the floor and presumably changing the point at which the sub excites the room relative to the floor ceiling interaction.

Kevin

Hi Al, Welcome !....again !

don't forget , when you get a chance to post your system in the members section.

Welcome to the site! That's a great looking setup. Nice to have a dedicated room, isn't it?

I've seen your system on audiogon - Punmill or something right?

I've always enjoyed your Maggie 3.6 page.

Joey_V,

I hope this isn't sacreligious, but here is my system with the maggies in place. I still have them, but one of them needs some attention. Once it is fixed, I will probably sell them.

The room needed just a little adjustment with my traps for the Ascents. This was a real difficult room to treat, but it sounds great now after several thousands $$ and many hours of experimentation with the maggies.

I am hearing my music playing downstairs as I am warming up my system. I have noticed that the Ascents need a good 25 minutes or so to sound their best...that's OK because so does my CJ tube preamp. This is a fun hobby isn't it.

Attachments

• Maggies.JPG
    Maggies.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 273
Back