frequency response?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratso

Reaction score
has anyone ever seen a frequency response graph (like printed in stereophile reviews) for my vantages? i would like to know what they are flat to (when they start to roll off). i think ML publishes the frequency response of their speakers but manufacturers are famous for 'tweaking' those numbers NOT THAT I'M ACCUSING OUR BELOVED ML so i was wondering if any one has actually seen one published. thanx!

One many levels it doesn't matter, because once they end up your room, a free air measurement goes right out the window...

It is actually REALLY room dependant. The size of the room, your location in the room, your speaker placement, the floor/wall material, what treatments you use, etc will greatly affect the frequency response you are going to experience. For example, you might experience a 30-40 db volume change as you move up or down 10 Hz (say 120 Hz to 130 Hz) in the spectrum! I am sure somebody here has a graph you could see for reference, I have the one created from the Audessey EQ on my Denon 3808 through the Vista/Motif/Vignette/Dynamo setup.

Are you really interested in the frequency response of your Vantages in your room? Well, here is an easy way to do so while spending the smallest amount of money possible. What you need is a radioshack SPL meter (about $50) and the FREE download from RealTraps at http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm. Their website will explain the process and also supply the graph paper so you can record your readings as you play the tones. Basically you use the SPL meter to take readings from 10 Hz on up, recording the sound level at each frequency. After completing the testing, you have an idea of your room’s trouble frequencies and a direction on where you need db correction (via room treatment or EQ).

Of course, you can buy equipment to do all this for you, but I will let the other members with more experience comment on that.

thanx for that tsmooth. actually i have been looking at some of the different 'room correction' devices out there and was browsing through a forum talking about the SMS bass correction device. it mentioned that the crossover point on it is set to roll off your speakers at 80hz and can't be changed. i would guess the rolloff of ML's is below 80hz. and if it's a great deal below, i'm not sure i would want to chop them off that early.

..... a forum talking about the SMS bass correction device. it mentioned that the crossover point on it is set to roll off your speakers at 80hz and can't be changed..
That is correct. The High Pass is set for 80Hz, but you can opt not to use it and run your speakers full range and fill in the low end with your sub and the SMS-1.

I'm going to also add my own subjective comment in here:

Like so many things, a flat frequency response is best pursued in moderation. Assuming there aren't egregious aberrations, given the difficulty of getting a flat response at anything more than a very small position, extensive manipulation of the signal in order to achieve flatness is getting the cart before the horse if it kills imaging and transient response in the process.

You should check out the Room EQ Wizard forums (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums). REW is a free piece of software that allows you to plot out the frequency response of your system in your room. I find the software to be an invaluable aid to speaker & sub:

- Placement
- Integration
- Equalization

While my intuition relating to placement and integration of my Descent sub was generally OK, the minor tweaks via REW made a huge difference in the listening experience.

Latest posts

Back