Frank Zappa...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Anyone here into Frank Zappa?

I've not had that much exposure to his work... I have "Joe's Garage I, II & III" and just got "Freak Out!"

Classic!

I have never heard Zappa on my current system set-up. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Frank Zappa was a true genius, too bad he died so young. from 1979 Sheik Yerbouti.

Attachments

• Sheik Yerbouti.bmp
    17 KB · Views: 162
What odd timing for this post. I just listened to Frank Zappa for the first time earlier this week at my uncle's urging. I'm really not into classic rock type stuff at all, but this was weird. And I'm really into weird.

I have no Zappa in my Martin Logan's.

Are they plugged in?

Be Frank with me.

To tell the truth they are out in Joe's garage, have been all week.:D

Are you sure they're not in the Rectory Basement, with the Catholic Girls?...:eek:

I LOVE Zappa. I have a bunch of Zappa on CD and vinyl. His Jazz stuff is really amazing, but Joes Garage is sort of his Magnum Opus. I would especuially recommend the second to the last track on Joes Garage, "Watermelon in Easter Bay", for demo-ing MLs. If you're not particularly sensitive to the language, Zappa did some really outstanding guitar work, perhaps some of the most innovative and technically proficient rock guitar ever recorded...

--Richard

I think the best Zappa is live Zappa! Some of the most amazing bands ever assemled. Truely allstar lineups.

Check out any of the ' You Can't Say That On Stage Anymore' disks.

I highly recommend Apostrophe! as well as his Live in New York. Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat the yellow snow...

I would have to say the SLEEP DIRT album by Frank Zappa as one of his best instrumental compositions to date. The cover of the album would put most people off from even giving it a chance to be heard, but once listen to you will be haunted by Franks guitar solos for days afterwards. Truly a masterpiece. :music:

I listened to Joe's Garage a couple of nights ago, not what I quite remembered. I mean the whole LP seemed to be all about making fun of VD (the clap). I know the group has always had a very lighthearted take on things, but somehow it was even harder to take as serious music this time. Maybe it's the detail and resolution my refurbished tube preamp has which has affected my perceptions, I'm not sure.

My wife in the adjacent room was breaking out laughing every now and then as she sat at her computer. The LP brought back a lot of fond memories for her. It put her in a good mood even though she has been staying home, too sick to work.

Joe's Garage tells the story of a future where music is not allowed and Joe is a musician and on the run from the authorities. He meets up with some interesting characters along the way including a robot who he has sex with.

it's hysterical!!

I like Hot Rats. Superb!

Hot Rats- Peaches and Regalia - got to be my favorite.

Frank Zappa was a musician unlike any other.

Saw Frank and the Mothers of Invention with Flo and Eddie in the early 70's.

Opening act was Livingston Taylor.

Great combination, both story tellers just styles that are at opposite ends of music.

Latest posts

Back