Focus C18 Center channel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steevray

Reaction score
Focus C18 Center channel.
I had a sense the speakers, ESL was not working properly. I removed the screws to get to the back and disconnected all but the ESL. I played music through while disconnecting the wall wart power supply. ESL sounds exactly the same. I'm confused. Does this mean there is no high voltage going to the ESL?

An easier way to see what's going on is to use REW sweeps and check the plot. You should be able to see right where each crossover is, and if the mid-range is low from crossover to crossover then you'll know something's wrong with the stat panel.

Great idea.
I don't have my computer set up for that yet.
I will get the mic. set up and see how it looks.
Thanks

Focus C18 Center channel.
I had a sense the speakers, ESL was not working properly. I removed the screws to get to the back and disconnected all but the ESL. I played music through while disconnecting the wall wart power supply. ESL sounds exactly the same. I'm confused. Does this mean there is no high voltage going to the ESL?
Once the panel gers charged, it holds that charge for awhile. I think it's a form of static electricity. So keep playing music and eventually the panel should stop producing sound if the power is unplugged .

I also have a pair of Monolith 3 speakers. I know what you are saying may be true with newer ML speakers. When you unplug the 3's they slowly go down in volume.
They still play, however, at a much lower volume after the charge dissipates. Except for the C18 I have not owned any other model newer than my Monolith 3.

I also have a pair of Monolith 3 speakers. I know what you are saying may be true with newer ML speakers. When you unplug the 3's they slowly go down in volume.
They still play, however, at a much lower volume after the charge dissipates. Except for the C18 I have not owned any other model newer than my Monolith 3.
It could last longer on the Focus because the panel is so small, comparatively to the big Monolith panel. Perhaps the bigger the panel, the faster the charge dissipates? I have a C18 and never tried it.

Here's what mine looks like when it's unplugged for up to 5 minutes, in 1 minute increments, starting with the C18 plugged in.
221016-02-C18-UNPLUGGED.jpg

Perhaps the bigger the panel, the faster the charge dissipates?
Only experiment can determine this for sure, but more likely the opposite. Charge escapes mostly from the edges. The bigger the panel the more charge it holds at a given voltage, but the area to edge ratio is greater.

Only experiment can determine this for sure, but more likely the opposite. Charge escapes mostly from the edges. The bigger the panel the more charge it holds at a given voltage, but the area to edge ratio is greater.
I was thinking it would escape from all areas exposed to the air.

Back