Fi Primer Mono-Blocks (Aaaaahhhh...)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownlo

Reaction score
Just finished the wiring of one and got it hooked up to my Dussun V8i (using as a preamp) and Opera Linear Reference 2.2 CD player....I gotta tell ya, this things sounds better than anything I've heard below $10K,...I kid you not...quiet as hell, and detailed as a mofo...I suspect when I get the 2nd one wired up they are gonna image like nobodies business. I'm waiting for my electronics modules to get back from Jim Powers (out for repair) so I can test these on my CLS I's... I'm not into loudness or bass really so despite the fact these are only about 5w amps I will still enjoy the detail and imaging with the CLS's...

Power and Choke trannies are Hammond 300B/193M....OPT is James.
The Fi Primer 300B is a classic circuit that uses a parallel 6SN7 for input and driver, very simple and beautiful sounding...if you want the scheme, just Google "Fi Primer"...

I mirror imaged the chassis' so they are a left and a right amp...if you build it, keep the input wire short (under 4") and use silver wire about 18awg... I have my input jacks on the inside of each chassis right next to the 6SN7 input/driver...I also had the chassis' power coated a candy apple blue...they look as sexy as they'll sound.

Updated: Lats pic shows both mono-blocks together being tested thru some hot rodded Advent 1's (rebuilt XO's, binding posts, silver wire, etc...) and man was I right...they image like nothing I've ever heard...very sensitive to driver tubes used (I tried a bunch of NOS tubes I had that they did not like at all), I ended up using some Chinese Sino 6SN7's that were ultra quiet...I'll have to put in an order for some low noise tubes thru Tube-Depot...

Anyway, they sound amazing. Very linear, and detailed with a deep wide soundstage... my buddy has a Harmonix Reimyo Series PAT-777 300b amp and when he came over today to listen he said that mine sounds much more detailed, balanced and musical...I was blushing since the PAT-777 cost about $25K new...

All said and done these amps cost me about $900 in total. That includes everything...minus the hardwork of putting them together and teaking the circuit...but I now have a pair of 300B SET mono-blocks that I can live with for the rest of my life and I didn't spend a kings ransom (like my buddy did) to get it...

Its liberating being able to build your own gear...and the feeling of pride that I have because I built it myself is beyond anything you can get buying from someone else...

DIY Rulez!

Attachments

• IMG_0255a.JPG
    IMG_0255a.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_0262a.JPG
    IMG_0262a.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_0268a.JPG
    IMG_0268a.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:
Slonlo, Great work there!

I really like the finish of the boxes.

Also, it’s great to see an Advent again. I had several iterations of large advents in the 70’s. Awsome speakers for the day (and nice to update, I’m sure.

And yea, DIY rulez ;)

Latest posts

Back