Favorite Flavor of Tube on your Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just wondering for all the tube guys out there what there favorite flavor of tube has been with there logans .... I have not changed out my stock 12ax7 12au7 5ar4 tubes in my preamp yet ...and was just curious since i know its more of a very subjective topic but i figure feed back is always nice to hear.. also the tubes that you liked dont have to be ones i listed either just curious to hear some favorites of any type...
Thanks again,

I've been tempted by tube rolling, but have had other priorities. I'd be game to gove it a try one day, though, but for now my ARC SP-9 and PrimaLuna ProLogue 7s will have to make do with their stock tubes. :)

I've been tempted by tube rolling, but have had other priorities. I'd be game to gove it a try one day, though, but for now my ARC SP-9 and PrimaLuna ProLogue 7s will have to make do with their stock tubes. :)

Wow I love your setup it looks so clean, I would love to sell my Powermaster 1000 now I think and grab a pair of those Prologue 7's you have...

You really need to change the stock tubes in your SP-9. I was astounded when after a few years of owning mine I did so. The stock tubes do not do the preamp justice.

Richard, again....welcome. You're right tube rolling is very subjective, for just like everything else in the chain it's part of the synergy equation as to how ones components relate to the driven speakers and room interaction.

Now with that being said here's what I've 'rolled in' to my various tube components......

LS-26 pre-amp - replaced stock Sovtek 6H30p's with the same (I had one tube go microphonic, options for 6H30p are limited, one of the options being a $165 tube...ea !! NOT !)

Cary 303/300 CDP - Radiotechnigue 1958 NOs (12au7)

Rogue M-150 MonoBlocks - driver, RFT (12au7), input, RCA (12ax7)
power, Genalex Gold lion (KT-88)

So, with respect to your Prima Luna pre and it's 12ax7's you have lots of options, I suggest after this thread has run it's course and you have got some ideas touch base with Kevin @Upscale Audio and compare notes !

Good luck !

So far using the stock tubes in the Moscode we have in for review, but ready to start rolling for a while!

Here's a few (and it is a subset) of the tubes I rolled in my Air Tight ATM2. Plus a shot of my favourite ECC81 (CV4024). But I also use the CV491 (ECC82), and there is a CV version of the ECC83, too.

The CV4024 shot does it no justice. Pick one up, and you instantly realise it's heavy. The glass is very thick, and internal construction is very nice. They are late production Mil Spec Mullards. They simply sound excellent.

The 12AX7 is designated CV4004. Use the pic I posted to locate some. Make sure the silk screening looks exactly the same. They come in white boxes with a cardboard/tissue wrap, very like the ones to the left of the top picture (though they contained RCAs). Very highly recommended.

Attachments

• tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 214
  • mullard.jpg
    mullard.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 204
In re: 5AR4's, try the early 60's fat base Mullard or, if you want to get spendy, the metal base GZ34 - widely considered to be the best of breed.

103sv82.jpg

One other excellent, if somewhat unconventional option is the EML 5U4G mesh plate. You'll need to make sure it plays nice with the circuit and has adequate clearance, including a suitable hole in the cover.

2z4ib11.jpg

MB GZ34 left, EML right.

LS-26 pre-amp - replaced stock Sovtek 6H30p's with the same (I had one tube go microphonic, options for 6H30p are limited, one of the options being a $165 tube...ea !! NOT !)
Dave, you spent a bazillion dollars on your system, but are not willing to spend $165 on a tube? What if that one tube can take your system to the next level ??? :devil:

5AR4: Mullard
12AX7: Telefunken smooth plate, Sylvania JAN (50s) (they have bright green printing) RCA (50s)
12AU7: Telefunken again, Philips, RCA (50s)
Those are the brands I'm most familiar with for those designs, and they sound really great. Word of warning about substituting a 5U4 for the 5AR4: Make sure the power transformer's 5V heater current rating can handle it. They draw a lot more current than the 5AR.

Richard, again....welcome. You're right tube rolling is very subjective, for just like everything else in the chain it's part of the synergy equation as to how ones components relate to the driven speakers and room interaction.
Thanks for the input, I definently am greatfull for all the helpfull advice i have found on the forums so far ....:D

Here's a few (and it is a subset) of the tubes I rolled in my Air Tight ATM2. Plus a shot of my favourite ECC81 (CV4024). But I also use the CV491 (ECC82), and there is a CV version of the ECC83, too.

The CV4024 shot does it no justice. Pick one up, and you instantly realise it's heavy. The glass is very thick, and internal construction is very nice. They are late production Mil Spec Mullards. They simply sound excellent.

The 12AX7 is designated CV4004. Use the pic I posted to locate some. Make sure the silk screening looks exactly the same. They come in white boxes with a cardboard/tissue wrap, very like the ones to the left of the top picture (though they contained RCAs). Very highly recommended.

Wow that is some selection. I will try and find some of those .. Over how long of a time did you try all those out, I would imagine along time .. Thank you for taking the time to share those i appreciate it..

Dave, you spent a bazillion dollars on your system, but are not willing to spend $165 on a tube? What if that one tube can take your system to the next level ??? :devil:

Honestly Bernard, if i could 'test drive' a pair of those exspensive 6h30p's and "hear" a discernable difference I might be tempted, but for the $285 differential that buys me some nice vinyl !! :music:

Strawberry! ;)

[6922EH in my SVP-1 and modded EL-34 mono blocs]

Actually it's Allen's circuitry that makes the tubes sound more like wire with gain.

Let me express it in the terminology of Justin's thread: euphonic accuracy :D

enjoy the weekend !

Wow that is some selection. I will try and find some of those .. Over how long of a time did you try all those out, I would imagine along time .. Thank you for taking the time to share those i appreciate it..

Over about 4 years...

With regards to Telefunken - I had NOS ECC803S in the Air Tight. Very good, but NOT worth the money. Get the Tesla Vrsovice ECC803S gold pin, made with the same tooling equipment, for much less. I could hear pretty much close to zero difference between the two. But be careful - I read a week or so ago there are fakes around, so do some research!

But seriously, low gain tubes make much less difference to overall sound than high gain (power stage) tubes if you ever go to tube power. P*ss*ing around with low gain tubes really is fine tuning... unless you stumble over some genuinely bad low gain tubes, and there are a few.

If you want to put a smile on your face, check my system pages for the 211 collection shot.

I dunno, these solid state guys - they've only got one amp;)

Last edited:
You really need to change the stock tubes in your SP-9. I was astounded when after a few years of owning mine I did so. The stock tubes do not do the preamp justice.

If I keep my SP-9 around longer term, I will do just that. But right now I'm tryingto figure out how to afford a rather bigger preamp upgrade. :)

Back