ESL advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butchmountain

Reaction score
I am new and not nearly as tuned into audio as you guys hence my posted question. I recently purchased Martin Logan ESL 8 floor speakers on a whim last week. I am currently running them through a Yamaha HTR-5790 that I have had for years. It’s a 7.1/700w receiver. I am using the ESLs to replace my Theater Research TR-1610 towers that I bought years ago for an ok price but now realize I was stooped. I know there was a scam running with these and I think I might have been hit by that scam but in the end I think they have been an "ok" setup.

Either way, I was playing around with my new VT-50 this past weekend with the new ESL as my main stage towers and the TR-1610s as my side surrounds. I must say I was a bit disappointed with the ESLs. I was expecting much higher clarity from them. Granted my center is a no-name center that I was given some time ago but I was expecting the ESLs to make up for the lacking center channel.

My question to you is are these Martin Logan ESL 8 towers more geared towards music, or with some tweaking will they be a good HT setup? We typically use the system for movies and TV, very little music these days. I just want to make sure that I have an all around good HT setup for the price of these speakers.

I will note that I normally do my research before buying but I just loved the sound of the ESL that I bought them with no research at all. My room is about 15’x20’x8’ with everything set up along the 20’ wall.

The wife is complaining about having the Cherry wood TR-1610s on the side as surround speakers because they do not match the ML speakers. I asked her if she wanted me to complete the setup and she didn’t give me a direct answer which usually means I am free to do as I please. What is recommended as side surrounds and a center to match the ESL 8 speakers? I am also considering a more up to date receiver that might help with the sound quality. Budget isn’t a huge concern considering I have already dropped a few $$ on the ML and the Panasonic VT50. I just want a respectable setup to enjoy some great movies.
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Butch

Hola and welcome. With all respect, are you sure about the model of the electrostatic speaker? Model 8 is a motion series, mostly center channel, and it is not an electrostatic speakers. Also, Martin Logan sound is for quality sound, not for quantity. Listen to a piano, and that is what you get...the sound of a piano. Not a bright piano. What we like about Martin Logan, is that it reproduce any musical instrument as it is. Yes, they are not perfect, but the minor flaws that they have, when you make a comparison with other brands, make them to be for what you pay, the best speaker of the world. Please, tell us the right model of the electrostats. They are very difficult to drive, and will show easy your component's quality. With patience and dedication, you will have an outstanding sound. Newer models are easy to drive, like the Electromotions. They are power hungry, and sometimes, 100W/channel is not enough, if you want to listen at high level. The model of the speaker is at a small plate at the back of the speaker. Happy listening!

My mistake. I thought the 8 stood for the 8" driver. They are the ElectroMotion ESL 8" towers.

I guess you now have me wondering if these are the right speakers for what I am looking for. I very seldom listen to music through my system, mainly TV and movies. Should I consider another model of ML? I am returning the loaners today that Magnolia let me borrow while I waited for my speakers to arrive. Now would be a good time to look at something else before I lug the other speakers back to the house...

Thanks for the info.

Getting them right will require proper placement and adequate power. Your receiver probably doesn't have sufficient current to power them, so you probably need to pursue an external amplifier. Placement should be about 5 feet from the wall, minimal toe in (search flash light toe in), and you should sit at the tip of an equilateral triangle formed between you and the speakers. They will work OK for HT after they're placed and powered properly. The only real drawback compared to traditions speakers is that the narrow dispersion pattern will create a much smaller sweet spot where everything is right.

Getting them right will require proper placement and adequate power. Your receiver probably doesn't have sufficient current to power them, so you probably need to pursue an external amplifier. Placement should be about 5 feet from the wall, minimal toe in (search flash light toe in), and you should sit at the tip of an equilateral triangle formed between you and the speakers. They will work OK for HT after they're placed and powered properly. The only real drawback compared to traditions speakers is that the narrow dispersion pattern will create a much smaller sweet spot where everything is right.

Thanks, I have been reading up on this and it poses a problem for me. We have a L shaped sectional so the sweet spot ends up being where no one actually sits the majority of the time.

I think I will do some more research on other models. These speakers sounds great but I am starting to think they are not what I am looking for.

Also realize that there is a significant break-in period as the capacitors and such burn in. 75-100 hours for the basic sonic changes, although probably up to a couple of hundred hours before they're what they will be.

Back