Enjoying the Mcintosh 1.2KW's!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff,

How much heat do those puppies put off? And do you think they are that much better than the 501's for modern ML's (given the substantial price difference)?

Almost no heat and I was really winding em out this morning. They are a pretty big step up from the 501's. More transparent sounding and limitless power!

These are the only amps I've heard that will play as loud or louder than my Premier 350 without strain. Very un transistor sounding.

yeah, I've been blasting these things and barely warm at all...

The DarTZeel integrated that I was using would play four songs worth of Van Halen loud and it shut down - overheated! Great amp, just not for ML. Too bad, beautiful sound.

But the MC 1.2s really rock. I would recommend these to anyone considering a big bucks amp. (or amps, in this case!)

Love the big meters!

I think I may have to bypass reading this review. Don't know if I could hide them in plain sight. Just kidding! I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation of it.

Gordon

Well, Gordon, when you decide to unload your 501's nice and cheap, give me a ring!

How do these amps compare to the Burmeister you tested recently as far as sound quality?

That's what I need to spend the next couple of months uncovering....

They are different, but it's too early to tell. Have to spend a lot of hours
a-b'ing.

How do these amps compare to the Burmeister you tested recently as far as sound quality?

That's what I need to spend the next couple of months uncovering....

They are different, but it's too early to tell. Have to spend a lot of hours
a-b'ing.
So Jeff, in the spirit of Justin's thread, are you going to tell us which one is euphonic and which one is accurate ? :devil:

From initial listening, I'd say the Burmester is not only more accurate, but more resolving.

However, the McIntosh is not terribly euphonic either. I'd call it "slightly rich", where my Luxman Class-A amp was warmer sounding (more euphonic).

Remember, this is after about 2 days of listening and it depends on what you are comparing to. In my system, the Premier 350 sounds slightly more accurate than the Burmester, with the 911mk. 3 being slightly warmer, yet again the Burmester has more resolution than even the Premier 350, yet the P350 has more dynamic range.

At this level of gear, it's pretty much which set of nuance do you prefer?

The McIntosh is VERY dynamic with so much power on tap and has a huge sound.

Honestly, I could live with either. But, I need to listen with more speakers, etc. etc. The two are close enough tonally, that I think you could use either in your system, depending on what everything else is like. You wouldn't mistake the Mc's for Boulder, Bryston or Levinson, but they don't sound Class A solid state or tubey warm.

Does that make sense?

I think McIntosh has really hit a home run with these amplifiers.

Last edited:
Gordon, the good news is that Mac really holds it's value. They are running that 75% trade in deal right now, so you should be able to get into 1.2kw's somewhat reasonably....

Now you know why all my friends wives hate me!

1200 watts at 8 ohms. How powerful can these amps go before they over tax the standard 110 volt 15 amp outlet?

Actually I've got each one plugged into a seperate 20a outlet...

No way they could make max power on a single 15a outlet, that's only about 1800 watts of power if my math is correct.

I'm thinking some folks have mentioned in the past that this was not a good match...
As I recall, that statement was made regarding the Mac tubed amps (e.g. MC 275) and MLs. The solid state Macs are a whole different beast in terms of wattage and current.

Back