Emotiva XPA3 for Martin Logan ESL?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyjax

Reaction score
Hi. I have a pair of Martin Logan ESL and ESL C center. Currently I am using Denon AVR X6400H. I am thinking to upgrade using external amp for the fronts and center using Emotiva XPA3. What do you guys think about this? thanks.

The XPA-3 is way above the capabilities of my XPA-200, that said . . .

I tested with my XPA-200 just to see what would happen when powering my old Vista (1.2 Ohms) speakers and also my current Expressions (0.7 Ohms). I was surprised when the amp never overheated even at high volume. While it was a noticeable difference when compared to the Krell amp I was using, the XPA-200 did a good job. An XPA-3 connected to the ElectroMotion ESL (1.6 Ohms) shouldn't have any problems either and should sound much better than my test.

An separate power amp is a big improvement to the amplification built into an all-in-one receiver. One free upgrade is tweaking the placement of the speakers and is something which shouldn't be overlooked. Actually, in playing with the placement you'll find some locations which improve the sound and others which are worse. It's these "bad" locations that taught me a lot about what I needed to listen for in finding the best speaker placement. I've posted this link before but it bears repeating, at about 18 minutes into the video this person tells how to go about speaker placement using only your ears and getting the imaging to "work": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Pf0ycbyBM Our speakers present additional hurdles but the concept still works and it's directly responsible to my waaay over-toed-in arrangement I now enjoy.

My multi-purpose great room is remarkably pleasant and forgiving but I had to throw a monkey wrench into the scenario by putting the right main speaker into a corner (not good), but with absorption and the steep toe angle it works. Without the steep toe the speaker needed to be farther away from the front wall by a lot. Because I "wanted" a better room layout that normal people would enjoy more, I chose to move the speakers closer to the front wall. This is in preparation to making a new front entry instead of the "front door" being on the side of the house. I wanted to be happy with the sound before I committed to changing the house. The layout works much better and the sound is not worse than before - "Do no harm".

Last edited:
Hi. I have a pair of Martin Logan ESL and ESL C center. Currently I am using Denon AVR X6400H. I am thinking to upgrade using external amp for the fronts and center using Emotiva XPA3. What do you guys think about this? thanks.

I've used emotiva for a long time and had an XPA-3 gen 2 at one point and was using it to power EM-ESLs and a 50xt center. It was more than enough power w/ great sound. I think you will really enjoy it.

Thank you guys for the reply. I have a few questions

1. What is the difference between emotiva XPA 3 first gen, second and third gen?
2. If I place ESL only 1 foot front the front wall, I need and absorption panel,right? 2" panel is it sufficient?

thanks

Thank you guys for the reply. I have a few questions

1. What is the difference between emotiva XPA 3 first gen, second and third gen?
2. If I place ESL only 1 foot front the front wall, I need and absorption panel,right? 2" panel is it sufficient?

thanks

The gen 1 and 2 are both A/B class amps while the gen 3 is H I believe. There wasn't much of a difference between gen 1 and 2 just 2 has some better specs. I never heard the gen 3 so I cannot tell you if its improved compared to the gen 2 I had.

The paneling is something I am still trying to get into as recommended by other users, so I cannot comment what is best. All I do know is that it is best to get the speakers as far from the wall as possible.

The gen 1 and 2 are both A/B class amps while the gen 3 is H I believe. There wasn't much of a difference between gen 1 and 2 just 2 has some better specs. I never heard the gen 3 so I cannot tell you if its improved compared to the gen 2 I had.

The paneling is something I am still trying to get into as recommended by other users, so I cannot comment what is best. All I do know is that it is best to get the speakers as far from the wall as possible.

Thank you very much for the info.

Maybe this cannot be compare to Emotiva XPA3 as the price is much higher. Anyone here ever use or try Anthem MCA series power amps for ESL?

Back