Do we really need yet another high res video standard?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I'm not really knowledgeable on this topic but I did see 4k at a retailer last week on several large screens.

Remember the old scam where they show you a $20 component video cable on screen A and a $300 HDMI cable on screen B, so you think that $300 cables make a profound, visible difference?

That's what I perceived with 4k. They had the color juiced up really high so the beach scenes with parasols and bathing suits looked piercingly vibrant and orange, beyond what reality dictates. I thought the pic was good but I didn't see 4x HD detail, I saw maybe 10% perceived improvement.

Just an opinion based on my senses, not on data. YMMV

The good thing is that 8K will be the threshold of the human eye. In other words, we will not see any difference beyond that. My suggestion would be to skip the 4K and buy the 8K which would be coming in 7 years or so. Of course, the manufacturers will be milking us to buy first the 4K and in several years the 8K format.

Back