Considering CLX purchase - wife says yes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just suggested the OPPO because it is a true universal player that includes Blu-Ray and it is as fast if not faster and has better upscaling than the PS3 and you don't need whatever else you have to have to play music and DVDs.
I would agree with the Oppo for movies, but I will respectfully disagree on it for a music player. It is OK considering the price, but for a few more dollars, as the OP is considering CLX's, a much better sounding MUSIC player can be had. But again for Movies/DVD's the Oppo is a great solution. Hopefully their BR player proves as worthy a player as their DVD players are.

BTW JMAUSGP, is there anyway you could use more paragraph formatting in your posts? It sure would be much easier to read as you present a lot of good information for people.

Last edited:
Uhhh... funny you should ask. Yes, she does. Sister lives there in Denver. About 30 years old. Cute, but... troubled. We'll leave it at that.

Wildblue,

You are doing your diligence and asking the right questions, but time and money will solve all of your problems.

If I were you, I would snatch those suckers as fast as I could before she changes her mind!

Uhhh... funny you should ask. Yes, she does. Sister lives there in Denver. About 30 years old. Cute, but... troubled. We'll leave it at that.

I'm spoken for myself, but I know a few single audiopfools in the area.

"Troubled". Back in my single days that was one whole catagory of woman I'd intentionally seek out deepending on my needs at the time.

Troubled doesn't matter - as long as she says "I think you should buy those Martin Logans" it's happy days!!

Since we're already slightly off-topic, I grew up in Castle Rock, and went to the AF Academy for college. Still big Broncos and Avalanche fan--Colorado is A-ok in my book.

Since we're already slightly off-topic, I grew up in Castle Rock, and went to the AF Academy for college. Still big Broncos and Avalanche fan--Colorado is A-ok in my book.

Ah-Ha, hence your forum name. "Off we go, into the Wild Blue yonder".

Conversely, I've not been to Alaska myself yet, but am keen to go. My wife's parents lived in Anchorage for a number of years when he was stationed there. He was a helicopter pilot for the Dept. of the Interior. Has a number of interesting stories about doing search and rescue on Mt. Denali.

I really like it in Alaska, especially the middle of summer. Come on up sometime and bring the ML's. :)

There's not a whole lot of people up there I've found so far that really apprecaite fine audio/video, but I've found that if properly educated, people do often see the light. I guess if I did buy a pair of CLX's, there'd be a good chance that they'd be the only pair in the entire state of Alaska. That'd be pretty cool.

You know when Alaskans see the light, most of the time it's just Aurora Borealis. Now that would be something, watch the Aurora and play Dark Side of the Moon on your CLXs. If that doesn't get you, nothing will.

Your wife is a gem. I'm sure Clx and gem sound great together.

Still not sure about the CLX's. There's no doubt in my mind that they're the best speaker I've ever heard. Very little doubt that I would never buy another pair of speakers to replace them with. Fairly sure that the sound would be unbeatable in my room. (can't say for sure without the ability to audition in-home) Of course, very sure that would put one massive dent in the pocket book.

It's not a dent in the pocket book, just a different form of asset retention. If you bought....invested in the CLXs, what is the worst case scenario?

You listen for a year or two and then decide to sell them for 60% or 70% of what you paid.

Or you keep them for 5 or 10 years and sell them for 40% or 50% of what you paid.

There are a lot of people that would take that investment, because unfortunately someone made-off with their entire nest egg and they now have nothing to show for it.

Regardless, your CLXs will not be worth zero dollars no matter how long you keep them and so it really is an investment and besides after you get them to Alaska, its entirely possible that they will become PRICELESS!

It's not a dent in the pocket book, just a different form of asset retention. If you bought....invested in the CLXs, what is the worst case scenario?

Maybe the worst case scenario is if buys them, becomes unbelievably attached to them, and then is forced to sell them because he needs the money.

Worst case scenario...being transferred or forced to move to a location where the room isn't as amicable to the CLX.

You know there is an old saying that covers this adeptly.....

Ah, but Tis better to have loved and lost your Logans than to never have loved Logans at all....

...or was it T'was the night before Christmas and all through the house, the Logans were blaring and deafened the mouse.....

.....you know as I get older wisdom just escapes me..

.....but hey sometimes you gotta live in the moment, if his wife says yes, that is good enough for me.

And that is coming from someone who's wife still hasn't noticed the difference between Summits and CLXs:D

In deciding whether to go with the CLX's, I would want to make sure they would work in my room. Maybe you ML experts can help. Here's a rough diagram of my theater/listening room with dimensions and measurements. Front projection onto a 108" screen. Current speakers are 7.1 based on M&K S-150's. Dual SVS PC-Ultra subs. 7 seats as roughly laid out (couldn't really draw arced theater seating) sitting on top of two levels of risers.

If the CLX's would stick out about 4' into the room, I guess that would leave just over 4' more between the front of the speakers and the riser's front edge, plenty of room to walk. That would be about 70" from the speaker to the front edge of the front seats, maybe 84" (7 feet) on the shortest line from speaker to actual listeners' heads in the front row.

Would like to hear thoughts, if this is too tight a fit in the front of the theater. Because the risers are fixed, I don't really have the capability of adjusting seating positions very much. I assume the room size itself is sufficient (about 21' x 22' x 8.5')

Also, if I did this with the CLX, would you keep the center channel on the front wall right below the screen? Or pull it out 4' into the room just like the CLX?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Theater Diagram.JPG
    Theater Diagram.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:
Also, if I did this with the CLX, would you keep the center channel on the front wall right below the screen? Or pull it out 4' into the room just like the CLX?

If possible I'd keep the center channel speaker along the same plane as the CLXs. Currently, my center is bolted to the wall so it's close to four feet from my Ascent's. As a result, the power needed by my center is significantly greater that my Ascents. During spirited listening it's not uncommon for the power guard light on the center channel to light up.

Back