Coming to America!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
Well for a month anyway.

In mid september I will be crossing the pacific (from Australia) to spend a month travelling the US. (something I have wanted to do all my life)

One thing I would love to do is visit a couple of hi-fi stores while in the country.

I will spending at least a few days each in LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco and New York.

Any suggestions in these cities would be very much appreciated.

Oh, by the way, I believe there is a large chain of Australia themed restaurants/steakhouses. Can anyone give me their name, I would love to visit one for a laugh.

Last edited:
Well for a month anyway.

In mid september I will be crossing the pacific (from Australia) to spend a month travelling the US. (something I have wanted to do all my life)

One thing I would love to do is visit a couple of hi-fi stores while in the country.

I will spending at least a few days each in LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco and New York.
If you really want to see "America", I suggest you spend at least some time outside of the mentioned cities. Go visit some smaller towns (<100K population). Eat in the local non-franchise restaurants. This will likely require you to rent a car. The corollary is that if I went to Australia, would Sydney give me a true feel for the country? I don't blame you for going to touristy destinations while traveling overseas - I do too - but I also like to see what the common-folk are like.

Oh, by the way, I believe there is a large chain of Australia themed restaurants/steakhouses. Can anyone give me their name, I would love to visit one for a laugh.
Outback Steakhouse is an obvious one. They even have an Aussie-like voice on their commercials :) It's actually not a bad place to eat, but I doubt it resembles anything truly Australian.

Steve

I hope to get some opportunity to see some of the smaller towns and more of the real America. For nearly 3 weeks I will be driving around California, Nevada, and Utah plus a few days catching the fall in New England. But yes, it will mainly be visits to tourist attractions – grand canyon, yosimite, death valley etc

However, this is certainly the first of many trips.

Outback Steakhouse – looked at it on the web, its hilarious, but as you said, absolutely nothing like Australia. The decor looks like american style restaurants we get here lol.

Outback Steakhouse is an obvious one. They even have an Aussie-like voice on their commercials :) It's actually not a bad place to eat, but I doubt it resembles anything truly Australian.

That's a classic.........and we DON'T call them "shrimps" - they're PRAWNS!!!!!!

There is SO much to do in the San Francisco area...

Let me know when you'll be here and perhaps we can meet up for a drink...

When in NYC, Sound by Singer and Lyric HiFi are the state of the art.

Tom

I'd love to catch up for a drink.

We expect to arrive in the SF area around 1 October.

If you pm some contact details, we can make further arrangements

cheers
Frank

You should swing through Denver and hit the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest too! I'd be happy to show you around the city and the mountains

Tim

Thanks for the generous offer.

But, alas, my trip itinery does not include Colorado. I see that the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is on October 10-12, at which time we will be in New York.

It is sooooooo tempting as I would dearly love to see the Colorado Rockies (and the audio fest) but my wife wants to spend at least a week in New York and she is the boss :)

cheers
Frank

Last edited:
You should swing through Denver and hit the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest too! I'd be happy to show you around the city and the mountains

I concur with Tim, try and stop by the Mile High city. I will buy you a local brew! We could be on a glacier in about 40 minutes!

Lee

Well for a month anyway.

Any suggestions in these cities would be very much appreciated.

Scumurculum

The audio stores in NYC are nice, but NYC is great for live music and entertainment. Make sure you catch a show at the Lincoln Center.http://www.lincolncenter.org/.

You can also buy tickets to the musicals at Times Square for half off on the days of the show.

NYC also has the best pastrami in the world. Make sure you catch a sandwich at Katz's deli.

Don't know about audio stores in Vegas, but recently Vegas has recruited some of the best chefs in the world. Try Nobu, Malibu Chan's, and Emeril's stake house Delmonico, etc., among dozens of excellent restaurants.

San Francisco weather will hopefully be nice that time of year. You can sit outdoors, eat, people watch, etc. - very nice, relaxing time. They also have the best farmer's market in the world on one of the piers.

Enjoy your trip!

well you mentioned you plan on driving...if you wind up going through San Luis Obispo (about half way between LA and SF), there is Audio Ecstasy (where i work). I'd be happy to show you around or tell you some places to "see" while here. who knows maybe by then my system will be dialed in to my liking so you dont have to go the whole trip with no ML's.

there is also some excellent wine country around here if you are into that...and a couple really good places for beer...and, like any tourist town (which SLO and the surrounding county technically is) many good places to eat...though no outback steak house. There are a couple of pretty good music stores in the area though not as many as SF or LA...

oh, and high way 1 is quite a nice drive if you don't mind taking the long way to San Fransisco...assuming the fires have died down by then near Big Sur and further north (west). The drive takes you up the coast. along the section im referring to (hwy 1 parallels a good portion of CA coast line) is one of the better parts of hwy 1.

if nothing else, and you are driving by the area, it 's always nice to put a face to the folks here.

Best of luck on your trip

~greg

Hi Frank,

Don't know if you were planning on visiting Yellowstone Nat'l Park, near Jackson Hole, Wyoming but, if you are, send me a PM and we can arrange to get together.

GG

well you mentioned you plan on driving...if you wind up going through San Luis Obispo (about half way between LA and SF), there is Audio Ecstasy (where i work). I'd be happy to show you around or tell you some places to "see" while here. who knows maybe by then my system will be dialed in to my liking so you dont have to go the whole trip with no ML's.

there is also some excellent wine country around here if you are into that...and a couple really good places for beer...
I have to back up Greg's recommendation to visit here; however I have the BEST M.L. system on the Central Coast, so if you want a truly religious experience on your vacation, look me up!:haha1: Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to offer some good Yabbies to throw on the BBQ....:rolleyes: However, all kidding aside, if you plan on L.A. & S.F., stop here for a visit! Lots to see and do. P.M. me if that's planned.
Regards,
Ross

Gordon

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but thankyou for the kind invitation.
Alas, we won’t be making it up into Wyoming (As much as I would love to).

We have only 4 weeks in the States, and there just isn’t enough time to see everything.

However Wyoming is a state I do want to see one day

(it will be definitely on the itinerary to the second trip to the US.)

In particular I would love to see Jackson Hole (and Grand Tetons), Yellowstone and Devils Tower (Close Encounters of the Third Kind is my favourite film)

Greg/Ross

I will be driving from LA to SF but by the inland route:

ie: via Las Vegas, Death Valley and Yosemite.

Unfortunately I will miss the mid coast and therefore miss the opportunity for your hospitality but thankyou very much for your invitations.

But as I said earlier this is my first but definitely not my last trip to the US.

Many thanks
Frank

Hey all..

Frank and his wife are coming over today to listen to my system before we all head out to dinner. I hope he's not underwhelmed. :eek:

I'll take some photos.

Tom.

Hey all..

Frank and his wife are coming over today to listen to my system before we all head out to dinner. I hope he's not underwhelmed. :eek:

I'll take some photos.

Tom.

One could not possibly be underwhelmed by your system!

Frank and his wife Jo are SO fun!!

We spent a Saturday afternoon listening to music and chatting at our place, then went and had a FAB dinner at a San Francisco vegetarian restaurant.... could've chatted with them all night.

Kerry and I are off to NYC next week and Frank and Jo will be there, so we'll be getting together with them again!!

So cool!!

welcome !

On your tour across the US I would highly recommend the grand canyon!

Attachments

• GRCA_GrandCanyonHDR.jpg
    GRCA_GrandCanyonHDR.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 185
Please don't judge 'America' from the clowns and jerks you are likely to meet by only going to our very largest cities.

There are of course tons of nice people you'll meet there too, but there is this edge. This rush. This impatience...It is really off-putting.

You are really only seeing a little of 'America'.

The AUDIO tour though, heck ya go to the big cities :)

Latest posts

Back