CLS: Keep 'em plugged in or not?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackthelad

Reaction score
I recently picked up a stunning pair of CLS I's with brand new panels. I read a thread over at Audiogon (I know), where someone commented that leaving the speakers plugged in will degrade the panels, resulting in early failure.

You guys (and gals) are the experts, is this true? What's the right thing to do if you don't listen to them every day?

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback.

Willy

definitely don't leave them plugged in when not being used.

Thanks for the information. How long, would you say, when not in use should I unplugg them? Or, let me ask it this way... should I unplug them every night, whether I use them every day or not? Thanks again.

According to a previous discussion on this forum the CLS 1 does have a power sensing circuitry.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=10823&page=2

I do remember discussing this with Jim Power previously and he didn't seem to be concerned with leaving them plugged in.
There is also the train of thought that the panels do not fully get charged until after 24 hours of being plugged in, a previous discussion also on this forum.
I do have a spare set of panels in a box though that I ordered before ML changed their policy on legacy products.

definitely don't leave them plugged in when not being used.

i've had my CLS1 for a couple of decades and with the exception of the last 2 years while the new HT gets build they have been plugged in the whole time. i don't think that it hurt them a bit.

when it looked like replacement panels were going away i bought a set and i have a set of spare frames. so I can A/B the old panels with new after the HT gets built.

anyone wanna help build a HT :D ?

cls pluggred in or not

I have clslla's foralmost twenty years and have noticed that if the units are kept plugged in it takes much less time to reach maximum performance level. It is a capacitor.

While I don't know enough about the conductive material applied to the CLS thin film panel to comment on any sort of accelerated performance degradation, a sustained electrical field will attract negatively charged airborne particulate matter, and as such, a slightly more aggressive panel vacuuming regimen may be in order.

i have always had all my ML speakers hooked to a switch so when I turn the system off, the power to them gets cut off.. Just my preference.. why keep them on when you aren't listening to them, right?

i have always had all my ML speakers hooked to a switch so when I turn the system off, the power to them gets cut off.. Just my preference.. why keep them on when you aren't listening to them, right?

Thunderstorms can cause a lot of damage. If one is away perhaps best to disconnect

Dust attractor when on. I always turned them off when not listening. I turned them on about 2 hours before listening.

That, and the potential for weather caused brown outs or total loss of AC are the only reasons to unplug them.

To address the former (dust attractor), buy some nice covers. See the current "sock" thread for further information.

GG

Latest posts

Back