Calling all ML fans (again)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beat_Dominator

Reaction score
This worked VERY well last time, my sister LOVED the Bossa Nova CD I got for her.

This is a personal request. I am not a huge fan of classical music, but I find that there is a time and place (in front of my Logans) to listen every once and a while :)

I want a classical album that is heavy on woodwind instruments. I have looked, but everything points me to flautists, and that's not quite what I'm looking for. I would like orchestral performances that favor a woodwind section, lots of bassoons and stuff like that ;)

Can anyone send some recommendations my way??

Thanks in advance!

Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade has some real nice solo oboe play. Get the RCA/Reiner on JVC XRCD and I believe you can still get it on vinyl.

Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade has some real nice solo oboe play. Get the RCA/Reiner on JVC XRCD and I believe you can still get it on vinyl.
Agree, the JVC is a great recording. I own the 3Ch RCA version and I do agree the JVC has a better sound quality to it. But there is something about the 3ch version that helps place the orchestra pieces better than the 2ch version and becomes more involving.

I got a chance to hear the National Symphony perform this piece and it was great.

Agree, the JVC is a great recording. I own the 3Ch RCA version and I do agree the JVC has a better sound quality to it. But there is something about the 3ch version that helps place the orchestra pieces better than the 2ch version and becomes more involving.

I got a chance to hear the National Symphony perform this piece and it was great.

I believe there was some "spotlight" micing done on that recording as well.

I saw/heard it performed at Kleinhan's Music Hall in Buffalo NY, by the BPO, with JoAnn Falletta conducting.

If you like baroque and can get hold of :

Albinoni: The Complete Concertos Op. 9 & Adagio
I Musici, Felix Ayo, Heinz Holliger, Maurice Bourgue

Philips Classics double CD

Great performance, great recording (1968.). There are (parts of) it on Living Baroque Philips vinyl too.

Beautiful!

Try Rimsky-Korsakov's Great Orchestral Works on Philips' 442 605-2, 2 CD set. Fantastic!

I can't recommend a specific recording but I like Stravinsky's Octet for Winds. Good Bassoon stuff in that piece.

A Bunch of Different Ideas

1) Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante, where each instrument gets its turn to be highlighted in a concerto environment. Very polite music.

2) The Mozart Horn Concertos, by Dennis Brain. Also very polite.

3) Scriabin's "Poem of Ecstasy". The violin represents the woman, and the trumpet represents the man. The music builds into a marvelous crescendo, with the organ joining in the end. Then again, the faint violin makes its appearance.

4) Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana". A vocal disk, but with lots of woodwind, brass, etc. This is very rhythmic music about drinking and lovemaking, in German and Latin. The music has been used in lots of movies. I recommend the version by Seiji Ozawa conducting the BSO. We are definitely having fun here !!!

Tell us how it works out for you.

Latest posts

Back