Building a lifestyle theater in basement & need speaker selection & placement advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdmunn

Reaction score
Building a lifestyle theater in basement & need speaker selection & placement advice

I am finishing my basement I have a long room 23 wide x 36 long. Projection screen will be on the center of one 23 ft wall. Back of main sectional will be 18 ft from screen. Various seating will be located the whole width in addition to the sectional (single recliner next to the sectional and a couch abutting the opposite wall acrossed from the sectional). I have a PDF that shows layout but not sure how to post. The opposite wall from the theater screen will have a 14 x 9 bar in one corner/quarter of rear and an activity table next to the bar for the other rear quarter of the room..

I currently own Summit fronts and I am not sure they can cover the whole seating area with good sound distribution.

This is additionally complicated by the fact that one of the 36 ft wall has a 8-10 opening. To describe that wall side. Facing the planned projection screen the right wall extends 11ft then has a 10 foot opening then a 15ft foot stone covered wall terminating in the rear. All other wall are continuous. Ceiling will be a little over 8ft.

Will Logans handle a room this wide and long? What should I do for surrounds type and placement? I want at least 7.1 setup. Even if I get a center channel speaker should I also feed the center signal through the mains as well so each main would be a R&C or L&C in addition to the center speaker.

Thanks
Brian Munn

Brian,

Sounds exciting. What a great project.

My sense is that very few people (excluding JonFo and perhaps a few more on this forum) have any personal experience for this size project.

The first thing that comes to my mind is desired volume level. I had the Summits for some five years but in a much smaller setting. I have a hard time imaging that one would get adequate SPL's in that large volume but maybe that's not a deal breaker.

Good luck.

GG

PS: You may want to consider hiring a professional consultant that knows what they're doing before you proceed any further.

Brian,

Sounds exciting. What a great project.

My sense is that very few people (excluding JonFo and perhaps a few more on this forum) have any personal experience for this size project.

The first thing that comes to my mind is desired volume level. I had the Summits for some five years but in a much smaller setting. I have a hard time imaging that one would get adequate SPL's in that large volume but maybe that's not a deal breaker.

Good luck.

GG

PS: You may want to consider hiring a professional consultant that knows what they're doing before you proceed any further.

I have Summits in a room longer and slightly narrowers than that and it can produce painful SPL's all the way to the backwall. SPL isn't going to be an issue unless you're using a small amp, but if you want the most even response across all of the seats possible they're not going to do it. The middle couple of seats will image very well and have an immersive experience, but once you get outside of those seats the opposite side drops off hard.

Back