Brightness/Harshness revisited

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my solution

I had hi frequency harshness when I put a pr of SL3's into my system ( tube monos good cabling , quality sources ...I tried many things including new spkr cables ..but the only thing that worked was a pr of Zero autoformers ...voila
now there is no HF irritation ....just music
good luck

Do you think this would help, using the preamp outs to my new amp?

I don't have a ton of money right now and am trying...

One thing you may want to try is going directly from your DVD player to your amp. This will only work if your DVD player has volume control capability. If it doesn’t you can us a passive volume control like this:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHTPVCPC

Or if you are the DIY type, I can give you a simple schematic that you can build for about $20.

It’s a good idea to try this before you drop a bundle on a preamp. You will still be limited to the DAC in the DVD player and of course you won't have an easy time switching between components but it will give you a better idea of just how much harshness is coming from the Yamaha. By the way, I sold my DSP-A1 because I couldn't live the harshness any longer.

The real benefit of using a passive pre is that: other than a few resistors, it’s just an interconnect. The clarity will astound you. They leave a lot to be desired in terms of convenience but they can't be beat in sound quality.

Last edited:
I had hi frequency harshness when I put a pr of SL3's into my system ( tube monos good cabling , quality sources ...I tried many things including new spkr cables ..but the only thing that worked was a pr of Zero autoformers ...voila
now there is no HF irritation ....just music
good luck

Ok, I give. What is that?

One thing you may want to try is going directly from your DVD player to your amp. This will only work if your DVD player has volume control capability. If it doesn’t you can us a passive volume control like this:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHTPVCPC

Or if you are the DIY type, I can give you a simple schematic that you can build for about $20.

It’s a good idea to try this before you drop a bundle on a preamp. You will still be limited to the DAC in the DVD player and of course you won't have an easy time switching between components but it will give you a better idea of just how much harshness is coming from the Yamaha. By the way, I sold my DSP-A1 because I couldn't live the harshness any longer.

The real benefit of using a passive pre is that: other than a few resistors, it’s just an interconnect. The clarity will astound you. They leave a lot to be desired in terms of convenience but they can't be beat in sound quality.

I think I have determined that most of my harshness is coming from my dvr. My dvd's sound ok in a HT set up. I am going to look up the DSP-A1 and see what that is...

I think I have determined that most of my harshness is coming from my dvr. My dvd's sound ok in a HT set up. I am going to look up the DSP-A1 and see what that is...

Yamaha DSP-A1, as reviewer wrote:

Yamaha's A1 product code is totally apt. In home cinema terms we're talking of a flagship amplifier that leaves no feature unfulfilled. Twenty-three kilos of solid steel casing, heatsinks and transformer. Fist-sized control knobs and a dialogue-packed displa... Bla, bla, bla...​

I had it for about 13 years and enjoyed it the whole time. Then I got a pair of Martin Logan Aerius I's and everything changed. I cought the upgrade bug and the yammy had to go.

The Aerius is a pretty clean sounding speaker and very revealing of source components. You may need to go up the food chain to get better electronics.

yes go up the food chain

you are probably now hearing your equipment. don't you hate that when you think you make an improvement and it is but it isn't. i think your speakers are now showing the source just like a high def tv

Well you guys were right. After 8 years running my Yamaha receiver, I just added an Atlantic Technology P2000 preamp to my setup of Aerius I and brand new panels.

Yes, indeedy. I can tell a resolution difference. Quite a difference. It is remarkable actually. There's a ton of air and spaciousness, smoothness with all sorts of new interesting timbers to sound sources.

Given this hobby does nothing but cost you money, it is quite laughable that 30 minutes into listening to this new piece...my PJ bulb popped, thereby immediately ceasing the new enjoyment to the tune of another $400 I gotta come up with.

Does it never stop??;)

Back