BOTW P&P ECO 15-16V MKII - After Market Adaptor

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northy

Reaction score
Hi, I have posted this in another thread and did not get any response. I hope this will trigger a few feedbacks. I have been told that upgrading the adaptor that keeps the stats charged will have a noticeable improvement in sound. I am skeptical. There is not even one professional review on this unit. So I am hoping my fellow owners will chime in.

Well, it does not have to be this particular brand. Has anyone benefited from any other brand of after-market adaptors?

Hi, I have posted this in another thread and did not get any response. I hope this will trigger a few feedbacks. I have been told that upgrading the adaptor that keeps the stats charged will have a noticeable improvement in sound. I am skeptical. There is not even one professional review on this unit. So I am hoping my fellow owners will chime in.

What you are talking about is a SBooster - this is their latest model. I have one of the previous model. I did a write up on it being used with a ML Focus a couple of years back. I'm not that adapt at finding past threads on this site but will try to pass along again what I found out. Like you when I posted I got like zero responses. I did pass on my findings to ML but no response there either.

I think it would help if you would have a link to their web site. https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-15v-16v/ As you can see there are a few ML listed.

What this all boils down to is the cheap switching wall wart plugs that are supplied by manufacturers compared to a real power supply. I got into this when switching from the Stage X center to the Focus. The new one had the same cheap wall wort as the Stage X. I'm a firm believer in ML and their quality of products but I think here is one of the rare things I can point to that they messed up on.

Since a few years had passed between the Stage X and Focus I did learned quite a bit more just how a good power supply makes so much difference in a devices performance. So I ordered one to just try and got a mid priced power cord to attach to power the device instead of the stock cord. My son and I tried several movies and found it did make a difference. The center channel sounded more fuller and seemed to gain a bit more realism. Now it was not a slap you in the face change but it was noticeable. I would call it a tweak but one that works. My son ended up purchasing one for his Focus eventually. I know there are some hybrid ML speakers that have a similar wall wort and I think they would benefit even more as it is powering much more then what is being powered on the Focus. The dealer I purchased it from is no longer around but its quite simple to hook up so give it a try and see what you think.

Thanks GW1800 for your detailed rehash of your post and to JonFo who found it. Yeah, it is really a shame that our beloved ML speakers are shipped with crappy $1.99 power adaptors. it is disappointing that ML did not get back to you to comment on your findings using the upgrade. I am going to try to get a loaner from the distributor to hear it for myself before I buy a couple of units. I am looking at $900 Canadian taxes in.

Thanks GW1800 for your detailed rehash of your post and to JonFo who found it. Yeah, it is really a shame that our beloved ML speakers are shipped with crappy $1.99 power adaptors. it is disappointing that ML did not get back to you to comment on your findings using the upgrade. I am going to try to get a loaner from the distributor to hear it for myself before I buy a couple of units. I am looking at $900 Canadian taxes in.

JohFo thanks for finding my past post! Northy I don't know the exchange rate and the new model did go up some but if I remember right mine was in the $300-$350 so I thought it was worth it however at $900 granted its not a apple to apple comparison of dollars you are wise to test first. Anxious to hear what you hear.

JohFo thanks for finding my past post! Northy I don't know the exchange rate and the new model did go up some but if I remember right mine was in the $300-$350 so I thought it was worth it however at $900 granted its not a apple to apple comparison of dollars you are wise to test first. Anxious to hear what you hear.

I need a pair of these for my front Theos. Yeah, we in Canada pay an average of 30% premium over U.S. pricing!!!

We actually did reach out to the company and I met them at a Montreal show at the beginning of last year. they did offer to send samples but we haven't seen it. Yes, there is a chance of making a difference. the downside is the cost, especially as it will be used on the Classic 9s, 18C, ESL X, ESL C. as the bigger product in internally powered.

what I need to do is play with the iFi power supplies that are $50 each and available in a 15 volt that should work. might be a sensible upgrade.

We actually did reach out to the company and I met them at a Montreal show at the beginning of last year. they did offer to send samples but we haven't seen it. Yes, there is a chance of making a difference. the downside is the cost, especially as it will be used on the Classic 9s, 18C, ESL X, ESL C. as the bigger product in internally powered.

what I need to do is play with the iFi power supplies that are $50 each and available in a 15 volt that should work. might be a sensible upgrade.

Thanks Peter for chiming in. I am really trying to squeeze out every bit of performance out of my Theos. The last upgrades have been the addition of a Pass Labs XA 30.8 amp with a Kimber cord and the Theos are really punching above their weights. But according to the distributor, more air and less noise can be achieved with these after-market adaptors.

Could you please do your best to have these tested on your popular speakers such as Classic 9 (closest to the Theos). I do not mind shelling out the bucks if I am going to get some subjective/objective improvements.

Hello,

I joined this forum specifically to see what user experience there was in using linear power supplies, such as the SBooster products, to charge the panels.
Because as already noted, there do not seem to be any reviews out there.

Peter/Northy, have either of you taken this any further?
iFi DC iPurifier2 Active Audio Noise Filters look as though they might possibly be of use, although none of the user reviews have been with panels speakers.

Regards,

John

This is slightly off topic but not entirely the product is from iFi the iPower. I have used it in a couple of occasions not to power speakers but for my LED lights and more recently for better power then the supplied wall wart for the new QPoint's by Nordost. This is a relatively inexpensive item that can make a difference if you can fit the output to your device. Such thinks as routers or switches are possible.

Hello,

I joined this forum specifically to see what user experience there was in using linear power supplies, such as the SBooster products, to charge the panels.

iFi DC iPurifier2 Active Audio Noise Filters look as though they might possibly be of use, although none of the user reviews have been with panels speakers.

Regards,

John
Hola,
I am using a linear power supply for my DAC Exasound E-32. This is one of the most effective tweak that I did to my system. It is a JS-2 by UpToneAudio. If the bias for the stat panels is dirty, I wouldn't have the detail and harmonic texture that I got with it. With much respect, I think that you are seeking at the wrong place. DC Bias panel's charge acts like a magnet, and it does not intervene with the quality signal, or what ML PSU is providing (circa 1800 DCV to 2000 DCV) very good quality.

Happy listening!

Hello,

Regards,

John

Hi john, I have not pursed this any further as I am now saving up for a preamp (Pass Labs XP-12) which is going to take me a while! I might reconsider the adaptor upgrade down the road.

Latest posts

Back