Best way to get your computer library to your system?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bittabit

Reaction score
I have looked at a few options here and am unsure which way to go.

I looked at the Sonos system, but it would be costly and I don't really care for the idea of the signal being sent FM too much room for interference.

I looked at the Bose system which is basically a hard drive system to upload your music to that hooks into your system. Definately a more solid signal but pricey. I was thinking that the same thing could be done by tying an ipod into the system and using it as the player...but would quality be sacrificed?

I am not sure if there are any other systems out there that accomplish this (aside from the old burn them to CD thing). My Marantz is a wonderful CD player but does not play burnt CDs.

So let the ideas commence....:D

The Squeezebox (Classic or Duet) might very well be the answer, but there are lots of new products flooding the market. How 'bout some details about your music preferences.
-Do you need multi-room playback capability?
-How "audiophile" a sound do you want? Are compressed MP3's OK, or do you want pristine "lossless" playback (via Apple Lossless, FLAC, WAV, or equivalent)
-Are you using an iPod/iTunes currently, or something else?
-Are you downloading from the internet, ripping CD's you already own, or both?
-How computer saavy are you (or your hubby)?
-Do you have a wireless router, or have CAT5 network or computer USB connectivity in your listening location(s)?

Yes - we definitely need Sleepysurf's questions answered.

My first suggestion would be the Squeezebox too - this is what I use, but you really need just a little bit of technical awareness. You generally also need a computer on 24/7 as well, although if you are particularly savvy you can get around that.

I've heard many good reports of using an Apple Airport Express as well - but only if you have an iTunes library and an iTouch/iPhone with which to control it.

And then - depending on the sound quality and user interface requirements you have, there is simply connecting your laptop up to your system - either analogue or USB using a USB capable DAC such as the Benchmark DAC1USB or Musical Fidelity X-DACv8.

Also - if I can add one more question to those of Alan - Do you insist on not having a TV/Monitor on in your listening room? This is very significant as there are a lot of options that require you to run a monitor for control - even if it is a laptop. To me - this spoils the listening experience. The Squeezebox (and Transporter) have discreet/dimmable displays and can usually be read/operated from more than 5 metres away (depending on your eyesight).

Last edited:
I'll jump on the Apple Airport Express stump, since "amey01" brought it up. I'm probably the biggest Apple evangelista on this forum, and I've probably been using the Airport Express longer than anyone on here through my stereo, so I feel qualified (n obligated) to tell you about it...

If you already are using iTunes, and IF you had enough foresight to rip all your CDs to iTunes using Apple Lossless format at it's highest setting, and IF you have a decent stand-alone DAC (or a receiver/preamp with good on-board DACs) with a TOSLINK port free, then RUN (do not walk) to your closest Apple store (or Best Buys) and get an Airport Express and a good TOSLINK cable,and make sure you get one that either has a "mini-TOSLINK" plug on one end or a "mini-TOSLINK" adapter--you need that to plug into the Airport. (If you can't find a cable that comes with an adapter, buy a regular TOSLINK cable and PM me--I have a half-dozen extra adapters in my parts drawer)

Once you get your Airport configured (which is REALLY easy--just follow the directions that come with it), just plug it into a power strip closest to your DAC. Connect the Toslink to the Airport using the end of your TOSLINK cable that has the "mini TOSLINK" plug, by plugging it into what looks like a mini headphone jack in the Airport. Plug the other (standard) end of the TOSLINK cable into your DAC. The open iTunes on your computer and choose your Airport as the "output" (lower right hand corner of your iTunes screen). Voila!!! You are now streaming your iTunes library, WIRELESSLY, into your DAC, and getting it pumped into your system in all it's digitally-converted glory.

If you DON'T have a DAC, your only option is to us one of those 1/8" stereo mini plug--to--2 RCA adapter cables and using that same port on your Airport, run it into an "aux" input of your preamp/receiver. The Airport will be doing the D/A conversion, and it's pretty dicey compared to a quality outboard DAC, but it's better than nothing, and still lets you stream wirelessly into your system from a computer...

I can't recommend the Airport Express enough. If you're already using iTunes to manage your digital music on your computer, it's the easiest solution to your problem. No need to convert your files to something a Squeexebox ot Transporter can understand, no need to copy all your files to another hard drive, it's pretty much a plug and play solution! And if you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, you can use them as a remote for iTunes, using the free app "Remote" from Apple's app store. It is very simple, very functional, and the price is definitely right... ;)

The Airport Express is under $100, and it also can be configured as a network repeater AND a wireless print server if you hook up a printer to it's USB port.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

The Transporter and Squeezebox are excellent products--don't get me wrong. The DAC in the Transporter is VERY sweet-sounding, and it offers a LOT of very cool flexibility and sophistication, AND it has those cool animated VU meters in the display. But it's a two thousand bucks (or more if you buy a big dedicated HD array), and although it IS compatible with Apple Lossless files, to get the best performance, you'll have to copy your library to a dedicated HD that you buy extra and plug into the Transporter...

If you need remote control, that's gonna cost you extra with the SlimDesigns gear too. Their remote for the Squeezebox or Transporter is VERY slick though, and has a LOT more functionality than using an iPhone to control iTunes--but it's also a LOT more complicated to use, and it's one more remote that you have to have lying around...

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_transporter.html

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions about integrating an Apple Airport Express into your system, just ask. I'll be glad to help if I can.

--Richard

Last edited:
I should have known better than to ask a simple question on this forum...sigh.

First things first....Dumb it down.

I use i tunes because the quality of peer to peer is not consistent.

I like good quality, I go by what I hear and know nothing of the technical end, my hubby or electronics guru are better suited to the technicalities...I listen and say things like "no, hate those speakers...too tinny" I just plain know what I like to hear.

I do want to have multiroom capability

I do have a wireless router

I can find my way around a computer and if I can't, my girlfriend builds em

I want good quality but perfection is not always attainable

I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg...but may be willing to sell some children (you know what I am saying Dreamer).

I think I got all the questions.....:D

You guys are way too smart for me.:bowdown:

... If you need remote control, that's gonna cost you extra with the SlimDesigns gear too. Their remote for the Squeezebox or Transporter is VERY slick though, and has a LOT more functionality than using an iPhone to control iTunes--but it's also a LOT more complicated to use, and it's one more remote that you have to have lying around...

Just to clarify, the Squeezebox Classic and Transporter (which have front panel displays) ship with their standard remote, which works just fine. The Duet receiver does not have a built-in display, so it ships with a sophisticated remote with color LCD screen, and iPod like control wheel. You can optionally buy the Duet Controller to use with the other Squeezebox models, but it's not really necessary.

I should have known better than to ask a simple question on this forum...sigh.

First things first....Dumb it down.

I use i tunes because the quality of peer to peer is not consistent.

I like good quality, I go by what I hear and know nothing of the technical end, my hubby or electronics guru are better suited to the technicalities...I listen and say things like "no, hate those speakers...too tinny" I just plain know what I like to hear.

I do want to have multiroom capability

I do have a wireless router

I can find my way around a computer and if I can't, my girlfriend builds em

I want good quality but perfection is not always attainable

I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg...but may be willing to sell some children (you know what I am saying Dreamer).

I think I got all the questions.....:D

You guys are way too smart for me.:bowdown:

In this case, I say "SQUEEZEBOX"!!

Get your girlfriend to set you up a dedicated, low power server and connect an external HDD. Install SqueezeCentre and copy all your music across. Stable versions will sit in a cupboard out of sight and run for months or maybe even years on end without intervention.

Next - buy as many Squeezeboxes as you want zones. They're cheap 'n' cheerful, especially online, and - as aforementioned, you have a choice between the Duet (with fancy remote) or the Classic with standard display and remote. You can also buy the new Squeezebox "Boom" which has built in amplifier and speakers for applications such as the kitchen or garage! You can use the standard remote, or one fancy remote will work for all of them, or you can download an iPhone/iTouch application and control them with that. Or you can use a portable device such as a PocketPC. Or you can just control it with your computer. The options are endless.

The Squeezebox has a very reasonable DAC and will sound fine with Lossless or compressed music. Similar to a AUD $500-800 CD player. If you desire a significant boot in the higher direction, connect the DAC of your choice. I find that my Squeezebox driving my DAC actually yields better results than my Marantz 8300 driving the same DAC! (although there's not much in it).

In the interim (or even permanently) SqueezeCentre will probrably run fine on the machine from which you're currently running iTunes.

One word of caution though - you mention iTunes because Peer-to-peer quality is dubious. Squeezeboxes WILL NOT play protected (DRM infested) files. If you have bought music from the iTunes store with copy protection, this means these tracks. You can always burn them to a CD and re-import them as FLAC or Apple Lossless.

Oh, and one more thing - using a computer to wirelessly stream music from a hard disk to multiple zones in your house is not going to be simple and "dumbed down", just by nature. We're not talking word processing or setting up a printer here, so hang in there as there are many of us here that can teach you a lot!

Last edited:
Ditto what Amey01 said! The Squeezebox is probably the most flexible setup. You can keep it simple (just plug it directly into your Receiver or Preamp), or go the audiophile route and feed it to an outboard DAC first. I suggest you download and install Squeezecenter and Softsqueeze (a Squeezebox emulator), both available for free at www.slimdevices.com, and see how you like it before buying the hardware. I currently have 3 Squeezeboxes, and also run Softsqueeze on my office laptop. I plan on getting a Squeezebox Boom for portable use in the garage and yard. In addition to streaming your own music, you'll also get free access to Pandora, RadioIO, and other Internet Radio streams. It will revolutionize your music listening!

Dreamer et al..
re AirPort Express.. you can do multiroom with this solution.. one AirPort Express pre room feeding any amp/speaker (or anything that will accept RCA/TosLink) combo and you can switch between them (or use any combination) either via iTunes or the iPhone/Touch.
I have one on my main setup and one feeding a boombox for patio listening.
It seems the most cost effective way to go if you're OK with Apple Lossless (cant use Flac)

I am looking into the sqeezebox. I will have my girlfriend read some sense into this on the weekend. Thank you guys for the ideas, it will most likely be between the sqeezebox and the AirPort Express. I will have to do some research.

This site is great!

Say what you will about some of the opinionated, elitist, haughty schmucks on high-end audio forums, but here at the Martin Logan club, we know how to treat a lady... ;)

Martin Logan owners are all about subtlety. We're all about the finer nuances of interrelated systems, making endless adjustments and compromises in an eternal struggle toward synergy. We're artists more than technicians (although many of us are VERY technical), we approach our systems with open ears, open minds, and open hearts, because what we're ultimately striving for is GREAT MUSIC, and all the joy and emotion that it can bring.

And THAT is why we treat you so well. We're hard-core geeks, but we have soft hearts underneath all the specs, and science, and technology, and obsession.

Well, all that, and the fact that most of us can count the women who we can talk to about our systems with any sort of meaningful interaction on one hand... :ROFL:

Welcome, again. We will do everything we can to help you get this new ML-bases system sounding it's best. All you need to do is ask...:bowdown:

--Richard

Last edited:
I am looking into the sqeezebox. I will have my girlfriend read some sense into this on the weekend. Thank you guys for the ideas, it will most likely be between the sqeezebox and the AirPort Express. I will have to do some research.

This site is great!

I think you've picked the two that will best suit your needs. BUT, I just read your post again and you mentioned iPod - yes, this will do the job as well. If you don't want to sacrafice sound quality, something like the Waida 170 dock will let you connect the DAC of your choice and give you control. Not as elegant as the Squeezebox or Airport Express, but it'll work. I'm not sure how compatible it is with the different models of iPod though. You'd certainly need a more recent one.

Last edited:
I have the Nano so I would probably be able to make it work but I think the other two sound like what I was thinking about.

As for women and appreciating sound systems, well I LOVE my music and have systems in my car as well. I am most fussy about the speakers and let my husband pick out the rest of the system, so long as he keeps the harmonic distortion from the ampliphier at the lowest rate possible, I am a happy girl. (I am a bit of a geek too)

Cheers!

Another late vote for the Squeezebox here. One of the great features of it that hasn't been mentioned is that you can set it up to the Squeezenetwork to stream radio stations and services like Pandora without having to have the computer on. I love listening to the radio stations from my hometown (WGUC, Cincinnati) as well as Classic FM from London, and all without having to turn the computer on.

hmm. looks like my response was the correct one... a single word is pretty dumbed down! he he.

seriously, though.. go download the Squeeze Center software and virtual player from SlimDevices website and start playing with it.. it's FREE, and this will give you some insight on how this will all work and let you start playing.

My vote would be for the Airport Express and use an iTouch/iPhone to control iTunes wirelessly. Rip all your CD's to your PC in FLAC or Apple Lossless using dbPowerAmp, EAC, or the like. The remote app for the touch lets you browse the music on your iTunes just like you would music on the iTouch itself. Like the Squeezebox, you can add additional Airport Express units to other rooms to create multiple listening zones (however I think they all have to play the same file) The downside of the Express/iTunes solution is that you can only stream 44.1khz/16bit audio and no FLAC capability. I believe the Squeezebox and SlimServer solution just added hi-res 96kHz/24bit streaming capability so you can stream some of the hi-res FLAC files that are starting to show up on the internet. Stereophile did a review of the AE a while back and gave it's digital section a pretty good review, but as Dreamer and Stereophile mentioned the DAC in the Express leaves something to be desired. http://www.stereophile.com/computeraudio/505apple/
The Express can be a bit tricky to setup as well. I recommend configuring it using a "hard line" ethernet connection first. Whatever you decide, I'm sure we can all help you set it up.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Apple TV as an audio source? If you already use iTunes and don't really care about internet radio with the Squeezebox I really like the Apple TV. The user interface is slick and simple and it does sooo much more than just play music. You can rent and buy HD movies, TV shows, store movies and photos and all sorts of other stuff.

They start at $299 and have a digital output which would allow you to use an external DAC or the one built into your preamp or receiver.

I have looked at a few options here and am unsure which way to go.

I looked at the Sonos system, but it would be costly and I don't really care for the idea of the signal being sent FM too much room for interference.

To clear up a few misconceptions on the Sonos. Yes the signal is sent via 802.11 (modified slightly) Yes that is FM, but all wireless technologies are. You can also hardwire them. All Sonos zone players have network connections and switches so you can hook them to the net directly and forgo the 802.11 wireless .

The Sonos costs about $500 per zone (room) but can include the amplifier (I have four ZP-100's zone players with amps around the house, connected to old box speakers ) and one ZP-80 (no amp, line out and digital out) which is hooked up to my ML speakers for critical listening.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Apple TV as an audio source? If you already use iTunes and don't really care about internet radio with the Squeezebox I really like the Apple TV. The user interface is slick and simple and it does sooo much more than just play music. You can rent and buy HD movies, TV shows, store movies and photos and all sorts of other stuff.

They start at $299 and have a digital output which would allow you to use an external DAC or the one built into your preamp or receiver.

1: Doesn't support enough formats (eg. No FLAC)
2: Can you control it with an iPhone/iTouch? If not, the requirement of a screen on in my listening room is a breaker for me.

Don't get me wrong - it looks like it has the base for a really good product - it's just that it has too many (and too many unnecessary) limitations at this point.

Maybe just a bugbear of mine, it infuriates me when companies intentionally cripple products!

Last edited:
Back