Best sounding CDs/SACDs/DVD-As

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timm

Reaction score
Ok - probably a well worn thread - but here goes -- What cd/sacd/dvd-a would you recommend to a fellow loganer.... i.e. music that is an excellent recording that just about anyone could listen to -- here are some of mine not in any particular order:

1)Aja - Steely Dan - CD (is it any surprise? - I waited for the hi-rez and it never came -- the sound of this CD is FANTASTIC).
2)Jack Johnson (any one of them that he has put out himself - i.e. not necessarily Curious George)
3) Norah Jones - Come Away With Me - SACD (I don't care what anyone says - sounds great on the MLs)
4)Ray Brown, Russel Malone, Monty Alexander SACD - simply put - One of the BEST sounding SACDs etc... I own. The music is very enjoyable as well. I HIGHLY recommend it....

Ok - your turn.....

I'm not trying to take TomDacs job but you should look at the bottom of the home page, there is a recommended music section. Although, Tom for a day...that might be fun.:D

I'm not trying to take TomDacs job but you should look at the bottom of the home page, there is a recommended music section. Although, Tom for a day...that might be fun.:D

Hmm maybe your right JW.... Point being - what music sounds best on your Logans. I think it could still be a speaker centric question. I find certain types of music / CDs/ etc... that make the speakers sound their finest -- and others.... well that just don't do them justice.

Anyway - thanks for policing the board!! Tom - if you want to dump it -- feel free - I just think that if someone is auditioning a pair of these beautiful speakers - it would be nice to know what music sounds great on them ....and also what would be a great cd to pick up to listen to them shine.

Hmm maybe your right JW.... Point being - what music sounds best on your Logans. I think it could still be a speaker centric question. I find certain types of music / CDs/ etc... that make the speakers sound their finest -- and others.... well that just don't do them justice.

Anyway - thanks for policing the board!! Tom - if you want to dump it -- feel free - I just think that if someone is auditioning a pair of these beautiful speakers - it would be nice to know what music sounds great on them ....and also what would be a great cd to pick up to listen to them shine.

point taken. will let you slide this time.;)

I was listening to Bond "Shine" tonight and had forgot what a WONDERFUL CD that is!

SACD I would recommend for starters - but you have to like the music too.

Jazz, Pop, etc.
Flim & the BB's - Tricycle
Diana Krall - Love Scenes
Mark Knopfler - Shangri-la
Art Pepper - Art Pepper + Eleven
Chet Baker - Chet

Classical
Britten/Elgar - Paavo Jarvi (Conductor)
RCA Living Stereo - Sherherazade
RCA Living Stereo - Pictures at an Exhibition (I want to get MoFi version)
Mozart Violin Concertos 3 & 4 - Julia Fisher (Pentatone Label)
Mozart Youth Symphonies (1,2,3,4 - Pentatone Label) 2 & 3 sound the best
Almost any music on Telarc Label
I also like the Pentatone Classical SACD's

Classical I listen in MCH, the others in 2Ch

Dan

One of my favorites is Ben Harper's Live From Mars two disc live set. If you are into Ben Harper at all, this set is a must own. I especially enjoy disc two. It's just him and an acoustic guitar :guitar: and sounds incredible. I have been meaning to put it in reccomended cd's for a while. Maybe I can get around to doing a more indepth review there.

One of my favs is Alice In Chains - Unplugged. Its just....unadulterated music...kind of raw, but very well produced for a live venue....and MTV at that.

My job for the day for THIS thread would include doing the following:

1. Move this thread to the "OFF TOPIC AUDIO/VIDEO" area.
2. Remind the original poster that the "Recommended Recordings" area says the following:

Got a disc that really makes your Logans SHINE? Post your recommendations here!

(How's that for speaker centric?)

3. Close this thread.
4. Remove this thread after a week.

;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back