Audiophile recordings

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugano

Reaction score
+46° 1' 26.41", +8° 57' 5.40" (Switzerland)
I have both of the Bach lute recordings by Eguez? One of them is on the green polycarbonate and the other on the regular poly. Both of them are excellent for digital, well worth the money IMO.

Here are a couple more:

http://www.eastwindimport.com/

http://www.chesky.com/

BTW, I have good friend who lives in Lugano and maybe I'll visit him one day. Closest I ever got was Leichtenstein on the East and Lake Garda from the South. I have a plan down the road to rent or buy a car in Germany and take a month off and tour the whole region... Maybe I'll make it to Oktoberfest (The smiley on the right reminded me of that).

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/images/smilies/food-smiley-004.gif
:cheers: Prost!

Last edited:
I have a plan down the road to rent or buy a car in Germany and take a month off and tour the whole region... Maybe I'll make it to Oktoberfest (The smiley on the right reminded me of that).

That is a good time...the silver car avatar that I am using is my Euro 928 GTS, it is a 1992 model and is the only one in the USA, I bought it used in 2000 and drove it all over southern Germany! AWESOME! I was doing 165mph (about 265kph) on the A5 between Garmish-Partinkirken and Munich...I was not able to do that for very long though. Anyone who has driven that understands. Our interstates are bigger and nicer than that bit of road, but not NEARLY as smooth! That is why you can drive crazy fast, not because the roads are big and wide but because they are pool table smooth!

Hope you work that plan out soon while there is still some unlimited and not to croweded autobahn left!

"on the A5 between Garmish-Partinkirken and Munich"

Something tells me that you were driving to Garmisch-Partenkirchen; I know that in the US geography is an approximate art but anyhow....

I think that one can drive safely at 145 mph on the Autobahn and would probably die on a US freeway within minutes at that speed.This is because high speed traffic is governed by very strict protocol. Faster traffic has the right of way in the left lane and it is given without hesitation. Lingering in the fast lane (the left passing lane) is simply not done as it is in the US.

If you are doing only 110 mph in the left and someone approaches at 150 mph, you move over and no one plays games with those maneuvers.

After WWII one could often identify the GI drivers on the Autobahn, unfamiliar and unaware of these routines, hugging the left at a mere 90 mph. Amateurs!

Last edited:
Lugano,

I don't think he has Martin Logans. I'm sure very few have them outside the US. Since you're in the EU, I was wondering if you ever auditioned the Audiostatic speakers. They sure look nice on the web site and I've read that they sound very nice.

BTW, Here's another site I forgot to mention:

http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/

I downloaded the Berlioz sample even though I knew the sample rate is incompatible with the Squeezebox 3. The Dies Irie part sounded clean in the beginning, but the rest sounded very distorted.

Pcar928fan,

The 928 used to be one of my favorites many years ago. The closest I came was owning a 97 Boxster for about a week. It was a fun car, but not a practical everyday car. I've been on the autobahn with a friend, but never actually drove on it. The closest I came was on the way back from Palm Springs in a friend's Z28 going about 145 MPH max at 4 AM. You're right about not being able to maintain those speeds for too long. Out here you may get stopped by the CHP or hit an object. I don't take such risks these days, but I do reach the triple digits on the way to Vegas every now and then. Does the CHP monitor these boards like Youtube? ;-)

dbakker,

You're right about people moving over when a faster car is approaching on the autobahn. I wish drivers here were as courteous instead of driving the "maximum posted speed" on the "fast lane". Oh well!

I am missing a thread specifically dealing with this matter, so here it is. I'll start by inviting you all to visit this web site (just ordered 3 CD's from them):

http://www.marecordings.com/main/about_us.php

I just received my two discs today. The Lute Music of Johann Sebastian Bach & La Segunda. The recording and engineering quality is absoultely top drawer. These are two of the best sounding discs I have. Well played and better engineered.

If you like acoustic music, Highly Recomended.

Romax, thanks for your hint ! That one company has been off my radar, no more now. When opening this thread, info like this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Lugano - Reference Records is indeed a spectacular source of audiophile recordings. I have about 15 of their LP's in my collection - including the Berlioz "Symphony Fantastique" that many still consider the crowning jewel in the Reference catalog, as well as about 30 of their CD's. Great stuff, especially if you have an HDCD decoder. I can recommend the Rutter "Requiem" as one of my all time favorites.

Romax - I stopped by the Reference Records booth at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last fall to pick up a few CD's (also got a free tee shirt - love the schwagg!), and they confirmed to me that they will start pressing vinyl again before the end of the year! Yippie!!!

2 more wonderful sources for LPs are analogue productions and fone'.
Every single album I bought from them is amazing. Last one is Vivaldi's 4 seasons on fone' 45RPM. 100% analog edition. Magnificent. If you can get your hands on one, do not hesitate.

Any specific label (possibly on vinyl) you'd recommend for that?

No, i just have it on CD and I have not listened to or looked for it on any kind of audiophile recording, but would love to have it if others know of a good Planets recording...CD, SACD, or Vinyl!

Back