Ascent I - Best matched Sub suggestions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Have the Ascent I / Theater I / Logos surround in an open concept 30 feet x 15 feet x 10 feet high - with living room in 1 half and dining room in other. 50% / 50% movies / audio.

Given price points and best acoustical match, could anyone suggest sub pls?

Used Descent / Descent i / Depth / Depth i? Not certain how substantial the I-series were over their original counterparts.

Appreciate all!

I paired the Descent with my Ascents and they matched up beautifully. If you can afford the Descent i, that would be an awesome matchup too. But if not the Descent would work great. Also, if you want better sound from your Ascent i's, I highly recommend that you biamp them if you are not already. Having a separate amp for the woofer and the panels really makes them sing.

I have two Depths non-i with my Ascent i. I bought one originally, and got the second when they were discontinued, at a substantial discount. I like having two subs better than the one. The source seems more invisible. I have them placed towards the corners of the room offset from the Ascents. I also prefer the look of the non-i versions with the black metal top.

The sales guy I bought my Ascents from had (at the time) Ascent Is also, and two Descents. He also lives in an apartment, so you know his neighbors are thrilled :D

thanks!

Many thanks guys. I guess what I"m hearing is that the Descent is a great way to go- particularly if I can get one used (e.g. 2 is better than 1)

people have also indicated Depth over depth i given the extra price.

Thx.

You might want to check out paradigm seismic 10" or 12". They are very transparent just like ML'S. Makes other subs sound like thump machines.

being a canadian , this may be an affordable option. Henry

I paired the Descent with my Ascents and they matched up beautifully. If you can afford the Descent i, that would be an awesome matchup too. But if not the Descent would work great. Also, if you want better sound from your Ascent i's, I highly recommend that you biamp them if you are not already. Having a separate amp for the woofer and the panels really makes them sing.

hi rich

i have bryston 4bst amps which are bridgeable. I can either bridge amps in pairs or I can bi-amp and bring separate power to pans and woofer. Which do you suggest?

I use a Velodyne SP1200II with good results. Maybe not as fast as the ML subs though, but works well for me. I have a 2nd set of outs from my 2 ch pre running to the sub and used the sub cross over to dial it in. Then just set my HT processor to "no sub" and front speakers to full range.

Last edited:
Back