Arcam AVR600 vs Integra 80.3 plus Separates

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbannas

Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading my system and wanted to find out other people's opinions.
I'd love to simplify my system a bit and narrow down the number of components, but I don't want to sacrifice too much in doing so.
We are doing more 2 channel music listening than home theater so I was thinking about upgrading to the Arcam AVR600 receiver to power the center and rears. (and a separate amp to power the Spires)
Or upgrade from the Integra 80.2 to the 80.3 and use separate amps to power the speakers.
I've read that the Arcam does really well with 2 channel and HT, but would I miss Audyssey XT32 in the Integra?

Thanks for any advice!

It seems kinda silly to want to downsize everything by buying more stuff.

You want to buy a $5000 AVR just to power surrounds? That sounds like your underutilizing the AVR just for the processor. I'm sure you can find stand alone processors updated with the latest features and just buy 5 channel amp.

Alternatively, Arcam appears to be stable into 2 Ohms from some home theatre review, so technically you could use just your Arcam to power everything. I'd rather buy a dedicated processor and amp than waste that much cash on an under utilized yet outdated AVR.

I also have Spires with NAD M25/M15HD. I'm also downsizing to EFX and NAD T787. They are both rated the same power output but your Arcam is already outdated and not modular. The T787 has HDMI 1.4, 3D, XT and may come out with the XT32 card so you won't miss your integra. Just throwing ideas out there

Last edited:
IMG_1000.jpgThe Arcam AVR600 is a great receiver and can drive speakers with low impedance.
I use the Arcam to drive my Martin Logan summits and Martin Logan Logos (front and
center speakers). A total of 8 rear and side speakers are also driven by the Arcam.
The electrostatic speakers are a difficult load, but the Arcam does a excellent job
and the sound is absolutely wonderful (detailed, spacious, imaging, huge sound-stage
and depth of field are state of the art.
A great review in International Audio Review from Peter Moncrieff gives his opinions
on this great receiver!!!

jmschnur - I love the look of the Marantz AV8801, but it doesn't seem to bring much more to the table than the Integra 80.3 (which can be purchased for $500-1000 less)

snyderkv - I agree...it seems silly. I'm trying to figure out the best path for me to get better 2 channel sound while still maintaining the HT side. I already have a Sherbourn 7 channel and Edge 2 channel for amplification, but I was just thinking about how much XLR cables would cost to connect the Sherbourn as I'm currently running non-balanced ICs.
I thought the Arcam might be able to help me get rid of the Sherbourn and not have to buy XLRs as I've read it handled Logans pretty well.
I'll look into the NAD t787 more.

rasmaudio - Have you ever run separates with the Summits? If so, how would you compare the output of the Arcam AVR600 to your separates? I've read people have been happy using the amplification in the AVR600, but I'm wondering how it compares.

I've also considered getting a 2 channel tube pre with home theater bypass, but I'm trying to make things less difficult for my wife when she wants to use the system.

Thanks again

Could you just separate your home theatre from your two channel listening in two separate rooms?

My NAD Master series separates doesn't have XLR connections and got rave reviews. I thought they only benefited when using longer runs? I'm not an expert, just what I read

Also, take into the consideration that you may not hear an audible difference between dedicated two channel and the Arcam 2 channel until much higher volume levels. What spl do you listen at?

A review stated the NAD was just as sonically pleasing as McIntosh separates he reviewd and an Arcam AVR600 review said it was as good or better SQ than separates.

I'll let you know if I hear a difference between my NAD AVR and Separates with my Spires but that won't be until the end of June when I'm back in the states. Unlike the Arcam, the NAD doesn't dip into 2 Ohms but I listen at moderate volumes so we will see

Last edited:
jmschnur - I love the look of the Marantz AV8801, but it doesn't seem to bring much more to the table than the Integra 80.3 (which can be purchased for $500-1000 less)

snyderkv - I agree...it seems silly. I'm trying to figure out the best path for me to get better 2 channel sound while still maintaining the HT side. I already have a Sherbourn 7 channel and Edge 2 channel for amplification, but I was just thinking about how much XLR cables would cost to connect the Sherbourn as I'm currently running non-balanced ICs.
I thought the Arcam might be able to help me get rid of the Sherbourn and not have to buy XLRs as I've read it handled Logans pretty well.
I'll look into the NAD t787 more.

rasmaudio - Have you ever run separates with the Summits? If so, how would you compare the output of the Arcam AVR600 to your separates? I've read people have been happy using the amplification in the AVR600, but I'm wondering how it compares.

I've also considered getting a 2 channel tube pre with home theater bypass, but I'm trying to make things less difficult for my wife when she wants to use the system.

Thanks again

Yes I have used a Audio Research, Belles 150A, Carver
Lightstar Research and a friends Krell power amps,
and the Arcam is by far is the more detailed, transparent with awesome depth! Plenty of power ,as well.
IMG_0747.jpg

Back