Any word on the CLX?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathantw

Reaction score
Howdy,
I haven't read all the messages on this forum yet, but has there been any word on the ML CLX? I've put off buying new main speakers since 1988 but I've always wanted the CLS and since word that the CLX might (or might not) be coming out I can't wait to see (hear) them. Then again, if they're over $10k/pair then I might need to love what I already own a lot longer.

Thanks!

Nathan

Europe first and it will be a multi panel design maybee a line aray of mid woofers with a panel.

Howdy,
I haven't read all the messages on this forum yet, but has there been any word on the ML CLX? I've put off buying new main speakers since 1988 but I've always wanted the CLS and since word that the CLX might (or might not) be coming out I can't wait to see (hear) them. Then again, if they're over $10k/pair then I might need to love what I already own a lot longer.

Thanks!

Nathan

You could pick up CLS and a depth for less than half the cost of the CLX. Add some room treatments and maybe upgrade the amp and you'd give the CLX a run for its money. While I am very excited to see that ML is releasing another flagship type speaker, one has to wonder just how much better the CLX will be over the CLS...

You could pick up CLS and a depth for less than half the cost of the CLX. Add some room treatments and maybe upgrade the amp and you'd give the CLX a run for its money. While I am very excited to see that ML is releasing another flagship type speaker, one has to wonder just how much better the CLX will be over the CLS...

Unfortunately checking the 'net netted me exactly zero CLS's on sale. I would assume I'd want the "latest" CLS IIz. That's even more rare. I found a few Descents for sale, but I'd still want the CLS. I'm patient though. No hurry and I can wait to see what becomes of the CLX and its crazy pricing. We know one part of the speaker will be at least $3k though and that's the Descent i.

We know one part of the speaker will be at least $3k though and that's the Descent i.

Actually, according to MLs website, both the Descent i and the Depth i will offer:
An optional internal module . . . with low-pass filtering custom tailored to the MartinLogan CLX full-range electrostatic loudspeaker, coming in the fall of 2007.

So you should be able to use either a Descent i or a Depth i with the CLX.

Ha! Coming in the fall of 2007?!? Yeah, right. Marketing needs to update the webpages a bit. How about: Coming someday hopefully maybe if we manage to get this thing built right and not charge an arm and a leg for it. Do I sound bitter?

Unfortunately checking the 'net netted me exactly zero CLS's on sale. I would assume I'd want the "latest" CLS IIz. That's even more rare. I found a few Descents for sale, but I'd still want the CLS. I'm patient though. No hurry and I can wait to see what becomes of the CLX and its crazy pricing. We know one part of the speaker will be at least $3k though and that's the Descent i.

There is one CLS 2 on sale in Germany on eBay if you're interested.

Howdy,

Thanks!

Nathan

If you've waited 20 years already then I would hold out a little longer. In the meantime you may want to consider buying a Depth i or Descent i or maybe even a pair. At least you'll then have half of the CLX system.

By the way, there is a pair of CLSIIz's on Audiogon but he's asking $2400. That's priced on the high side for these. Especially for a pair rated 7/10 with a hole in one of the panels. Also, if they are the original panels then you may be looking at a replacement pair in the not too distant future. Not a major issue but something to keep in mind.

The CLS IIz is the last run. They are a bit easier on the amps but have a tad less bass according to specs.. You will however need a good high current amp to run any of them. The newer CLS II on up have a matched pair of panels with a wider outside area. That being said do not shy away from a good frame with old panels. Chances are you will be replacing them soon anyways. Buy a pair at $900 to $1500 and get new panels, send the X over in for updates and walla NEW CLS ! for under $2500.00;)

Best $2500.00 speaker ever.

The CLS IIz is the last run. They are a bit easier on the amps but have a tad less bass according to specs.. You will however need a good high current amp to run any of them. The newer CLS II on up have a matched pair of panels with a wider outside area. That being said do not shy away from a good frame with old panels. Chances are you will be replacing them soon anyways. Buy a pair at $900 to $1500 and get new panels, send the X over in for updates and walla NEW CLS ! for under $2500.00;)

Best $2500.00 speaker ever.

Thanks for the replies from you and others. I'm in no hurry at all. Also, thanks for the price range I should be looking into. I would have seen $2500 for a CLS and thought that was the going price. I'll keep my eyes open and hold my checkbook nearby.

Ha! Coming in the fall of 2007?!? Yeah, right. Marketing needs to update the webpages a bit. How about: Coming someday hopefully maybe if we manage to get this thing built right and not charge an arm and a leg for it. Do I sound bitter?
More like disillusioned. :(

It will be a full-range 'stat.

Are you suggesting that it would not need a sub? I thought it was designed to work with a sub. Hence the CLX 30Hz freq setting on the new i model subwoofers.

Last edited:

There's a CLS2Z currently on the gon for under 2K.

GG

Are you suggesting that it would not need a sub? I thought it was designed to work with a sub. Hence the CLX 30Hz freq setting on the new i model subwoofers.

Someone in an earlier post suggested it would be a hybrid, not true. However, I am aware of the CLX position on the sub. That being said, I would strongly suggest an extended in-home audition of ANY sub/s before money is spent, because of the well-known difficulties in mating the 2 technologies together.

Latest posts

Back