Any Kindle owners here?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
Just curious.

Being the gadget guy, I'm really intrigued by the new Kindle 2.

Anyone using the Kindle 1? Thoughts?

thanks!

I was going to buy the Kindle 1 for the wife. But she used to "try" and read on a Palm many years ago and hated it, so she nixed the purchase. I sure would like to see one in person and show the wife to see if she might like to purchase the new one.

What does the new one have that improves it over the old "1"

FYI, Amazon has also said they'll (? soon) be offering their Kindle service to other devices. I'm hoping the forthcoming Palm Pre will support it. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone/iTouch also jumps on board. There are also a couple other startup companies offering a similar service, but their names escape me. The good news is that competition should drive down subscription prices.

I have a kindle 2 on order and have used the original kindle. I think it's a pretty cool device. Very easy to read, works well in direct sun, and is light weight. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Kindle 2 is much thinner, longer battery life and grey scale display rather than just black and white (2 color) display in the original...

Kindle 2 is much thinner, longer battery life and grey scale display rather than just black and white (2 color) display in the original...

Will Tone be able to be downloaded to the Kindle? That would be very cool and a great way to read the mag.

No I haven't, but a friend had something similar by Siemens that I had a fiddle around with on the beach. It would be pretty good for travel because you don't need to take a pile of books, but if you're just around at home (or never travel long enough to get through more than a single book) then why not just read a real book?

Until they can make a Kindle feel and smell like a real book, I'm not interested. This is about 1/8 of our books. I need more room for both books and records:ROFL:
gi.mpl

Will Tone be able to be downloaded to the Kindle? That would be very cool and a great way to read the mag.

Let's just say it's under development...

:)

The only hurdle we are looking at so far is that we aren't sure we can distribute free content on Kindle. We may have to charge for the privilige
of reading it there. I don't know if people will pony up for that.

Would you pay 2 bucks for a copy of TONE to read on the plane?

Let's just say it's under development...

:)

The only hurdle we are looking at so far is that we aren't sure we can distribute free content on Kindle. We may have to charge for the privilige
of reading it there. I don't know if people will pony up for that.

It looks like other mags range from $1.25 to 3.50. with most between 1.49 and 2.50. I'd pony up $1.50 for when I want it portable. I don't think that's an unreasonable price.

To be honest, nope. I would rather just copy the PDF onto my laptop (or even my PSP) or whatever. I have no time for those online "mags" that supposedly mimic the magazine reading experience.

Fortunately, Tone Audio doesn't commit that cardinal sin, and uses PDF instead!

Well, of course we would never eliminate the current format, I'm just looking at alternatives to getting a bigger audience.

Nothing's in stone, yet but thanks for the input...

I'm thinking probably about 1.29....

I don't want to charge too much, because the whole point was to make it a free publication. But I think the Kindle reader is going to download it so that he doesn't have to drag along or open up a laptop.

I think as long as we keep the current web and PDF products, anyone who wants to download it free will be able to.

My friend was saying that with her one (and any non-kindle) it uses standard PDF format anyway.

Maybe you could look at other electronic book readers such as Siemens and Sony et al to see what they offer. Kindle is proprietary, and you know what we all think of proprietary formats!!

My friend was saying that with her one (and any non-kindle) it uses standard PDF format anyway.

Maybe you could look at other electronic book readers such as Siemens and Sony et al to see what they offer. Kindle is proprietary, and you know what we all think of proprietary formats!!

Sorry, but it's not about you, it's about reaching the world. If putting the magazine on Kindle reaches more people, it makes sense.

Again, we will never abandon just offering a standard PDF. And we will approach the others as well. I really think the Kindle reader is going to be a different reader and quite likely might read us more for the music half of the magazine, but we'll see.

Not to worry, as long as you have Adobe reader, you will always be able to get a copy of TONE for free!

Sorry, but it's not about you, it's about reaching the world. If putting the magazine on Kindle reaches more people, it makes sense.

Again, we will never abandon just offering a standard PDF. And we will approach the others as well. I really think the Kindle reader is going to be a different reader and quite likely might read us more for the music half of the magazine, but we'll see.

Not to worry, as long as you have Adobe reader, you will always be able to get a copy of TONE for free!

You were the one asking for opinions, but it seems like you've already got your mind made up! It was never about me because I don't own one (and don't intend to any point in the near future).

No, it's the "we" comment.

As my good friend and editor Ben Fong-Torres would say: "Unless you are able to read the minds of everyone in the room, don't speak for them"

I was curious to get an initial reaction and that's what we got. Some people are open to it and some are not. If everyone in all of the places I asked this question were all thumbs down, we probably would not proceed.

However it appears that there are a lot of people willing to try something different. Personally, I'm a little against it because it doesn't do color, but this does seem to be at a point where it is picking up steam.

And certainly if there is a way for people to just access our website and get a copy of TONE on their Kindle at no charge, that's going to be my first path. I'll know a lot more when I get the device in my hands.

According to the marketing on Amazon, you are supposed to be able to email personal files in .pdf format to your Kindle. So it seems that you could download a copy of Tone to your computer and then email it to your Kindle and take it with you to read. Seems like a handy thing for folks that travel a lot or commute by train.

I have considered getting one of these for fun, just because I love gadgets and read a lot. I would probably use it more for newspaper and magazine reading than for books. I like to buy and keep books and have built up quite a collection, but I read a lot of newspapers and magazines that just end up in the recycle bin once I'm done with them. Seems like the Kindle would be perfect for that purpose.

Back