Anti-SACD Digital Can Suck Really Badly Super Hate Mega Post!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I reckon I'll live... it was just a quick rant... and I've had loads of CDs go in the past too, but that's just from mis-handling and use in the car. I now back up a lot of my faves....

The drive did appear to go a while ago - remember? Then it just started working again.

To repeat though, there is a mark in the wrong place. I've done usual cleaning stuff, but it's doophered. You're right - it might work in another machine, but then most of us have come across that phenomenon... it's just down to tolerances and the minor differences between machine mechs in this respect, that's all. For that reason, the disc might play on a grotty cheap SACD player...

The player is ultimately doomed, though - this particular mech is irreplaceable.

Perfect sound forever? Hm... &$£*&^*()!&!!!!

So really, this might be a problem with your hardware after all...

None of it is perfect. Analog or digital software is way too easy to damage in my book, but it's all we've got for now. Nothing is more frustrating than a favorite piece of music that won't play!

Everything else is OK... and the disk is damaged - so it might not.

As Beck said, I'm a loser baby... but the gun is pointed at Tom for taking the p1ss... should be banned, I think:)

Last edited:
I guess before I got so worked up I'd see if it plays on any other players and try one of the "disc repair" solutions first. After all, you have nothing to lose at this point? Or you can send me the disc. I'll bet it plays on my Wadia.

:)
"Worked up"? I thought it was a pretty dispassionate post.

As I said, it plays fine in my car and in my PrimaLuna, so is just a CD/player compatibility problem. No need to use a disk repair solution.

Last edited:
The drive did appear to go a while ago - remember? Then it just started working again.
That was with just a few disks, but it was strange. It was probably the disks, not the drive, as it worked flawlessly otherwise.

Justin,

It continues to amaze me that people keep stepping into, and you keep landing punches with a boxing putty tat.:D

With that said. Here is your best bet for fixing damaged discs. They have a free no risk use if you want to return it, including shipping. This thing comes with a worldwide 30 day moneyback guarantee. My nephew has one and it has yet to fail to bring a damaged disc back to life.

http://www.jfjeasypro.com/

And it works on all discs, including Blu-ray, DVDs, all CDs, etc.

I have also had CDs that played okay for a while then suddenly started skipping. I want to back up some of my vinyl on CD, but can't really trust the medium.

Right, Bernard. Because we all know Vinyl is much harder to damage than a CD. :D

Did you not detect an element of humour in that title? I would have hoped so, but evidently not. But that "difficult" assertion is based on many of your other posts. Otherwise, why would I use the word "always"? Don't worry about it, though, I am always up for a challenge. Otherwise, what is the point of bothering to discuss things?
Then you need to use SMILEY's, LOL, HA HA, etc in your posts. We cannot hear you, we cannot see you, yet we have to understand your humor/humour.

Bad assertion - I do NOT hate SACD at all. I think it's an excellent digital format.
Subject contains: SUPER HATE MEGA POST - Ok what is one to think? Maybe I did not have my "Brit" humor translation guide handy.

Bad quote - I specifically said it was due to the mark - go back and re-read..
What I QUOTED was from your FIRST post - #1 in this thread. So how did "I" bad quote it? The information from post #1 is in ITALICS and it is posted word for word: Anyway, there are hardly any visible marks on my Beck Sea Change SACD, yet my player won't read it anymore. At all. Zero. Zilsch. All other SACDs - fine!

Hardly any marks is what you FIRST said. Then I replied and you then you posted a correction later on: ...but there is a small mark right at the inside of the disc. I agree that this is where the TOC is and the disc not playing at all would probably be the culprit. This is the MISINFORMATION you made in your first post regarding the SACD issue.

It is easy to get PO'ed at a format that reports itself to be re-playable and exactly as your purchased it time after time. But remember the mark or nick you had did not just appear out of thin air - something caused it. And unfortunately we all have been in this situation of having issues with our source.

SACD never came out with a better way to write data. Or read it. DVD did that for it. SACD is just a digital format and as such could live in any digital storage medium with the capacity - but for the watermarking and other measures that makes it hard to copy.
It was originally designed as a data storage archiving medium and then was used for music.

1) Surely you realised when DVDs came out that they were far more susceptible to failure? I had loads of rental disks that caused no end of problems, sometimes with very minimal markings. I have owned many different players over the years and the conclusion is always the same - DVDs will take less of a beating tham a CD before they give up - much less.
Surely (don't call me Johnson - YANK humor there - HA HA, LOL, get it?) you can find a better example than RENTAL DVD's for data support concerning failure rates?

RENTAL = BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT as people do not own them.

I have many DVD's which I have own for YEARS, as with SACD, and Redbook and I have not seen any correlation between formats and failure rates. I have not read about it, seen it discussed or research, or heard about it other than your new theory. It would be interesting if YOU could find data to support this stance.

It is a known fact (go out and read it) that early days of DVD manufacturing, late 90's, the processes were new and lessons needed to be learned. They were very small and today these processes have been improved upon and the issues are even smaller.

So sorry, DTB, where precisely is the bad information coming from?:D
Remember you started all of this RANT due to a disc failure, so I guess it is coming from you :devil:

I forget you are so right and I am so wrong, I really do not know why I am questioning such a wealth of information, superior knowledge and humor. People here should continue to follow your words as the absolute truth and final say. I look forward to more of your vast knowledge - NO HUMOR STATEMENT.

Like I stated before you should really contact the people responsible for this technology and enlighten them on your knowledge and theory so this flawed format can be fixed for all of us.

You win have another drink on me - but don't spill it on that SACD as you could ruin it.

Last edited:
Might be your player starting to give up the ghost...
Excellent point. It can be a tell-tale sign of the player either in need of a replacement laser, or better yet a clean and lube job on the tracking rails (cheaper than a new laser assembly). People clean and perform maintenance on their other source players, why do they think a CD/SACD/DVD players are any different?

Right, Bernard. Because we all know Vinyl is much harder to damage than a CD. :D
Rich, my point was really that if the vinyl gets damaged I want something very reliable as backup; I was not doing a comparison. But thanks for the smiley :)

Why does it feel like this HAS become a vinyl vs digital thread? Maybe because of quotes like --

'I have also had CDs that played okay for a while then suddenly started skipping. I want to back up some of my vinyl on CD, but can't really trust the medium.'

Maybe we should just buy double copies of all of our vinyl - and let that be your backup? Just make sure to keep it in a dry place - and take that shrink rap off of the cover!!

The Dark Side of Digital - 'IT CAN'T BE TRUSTED - SAVE YOUR CHILDREN FROM IT!!!'

Dudes - you can't be serious... This started with a guy who has an issue with 1 SACD - and now all of a sudden - the entire medium is at fault and sucks because of it.... with a whole bunch of theoretical 'yoo-hoo' as to why and the reasons etc... with a brief history of the original use for it thrown in the middle there.

Every medium has its issues. And quite frankly - growing up in the 60's and 70's - I'd say vinyl is probably the most defective of the bunch.... Not saying it doesn't sound great - or isn't cool - none of that - I think it is - I bought alotof 'em.... and brought back a lotof 'em because the album looked like a sine wave / pops / skps / and even flat out 'doinks' in the record. I LIKE RECORDS!! But from a quality control perspective to say that digital is a faulty format because its all that data that can't be read... or whatever... well - it can do all of that because of voodoo magic... There, now you know how it works... end of discussion.

Good post Timm...

DTB300 - I know my cat punches - but he doesn't hit hard. Honest! I'd answer in more detail, but I am just too tired. You win, OK?

Me? I am gonna sit down with a nice glass of wine, and play some CDs, some SACDs, and some vinyl.

And I am gonna enjoy them all... until one of them doesn't work:D

First up - "I'm a loser baby - so why don't you kill me?".:)

Last edited:
amen brother!! :)

Yeah, I'll second that. FWIW I didn't intend my post about listening to my LP of "Sea Change" to be a vinyl vs. digital comment, rather I was just having some fun at Justin's expense because I got to listen to it and he didn't. I know it's a album he really likes. ;)

I happen to really like SACD. I really like vinyl too, and redbook, and lately my Sonos system is growing on me.

I hereby vow to do my part to break down the digital vs. analog walls. I will try to keep my bias's in check.

After all, it's really all about the music (or movies - don't want any AV folks up in arms either).:D

DTB300 - I know my cat punches - but he doesn't hit hard. Honest! I'd answer in more detail, but I am just too tired. You win, OK?
The powder puffs coming at me??? No worry here. With your ever changing points, statements, and arguments it is not worth continuing on with this discussion as you might just start bringing religion or politics into it.

Digital vs Vinyl argument? I never took it there myself, so I do not know why others are bringing it up? I respect others who prefer theirs.

Rich, my point was really that if the vinyl gets damaged I want something very reliable as backup; I was not doing a comparison. But thanks for the smiley :)

I know, Bernard. I was just having a little fun with it.

Hello 2009. Hard disk Bernard! Then back it up to tape (preferably, if you can) or another disk and store it offsite (eg. in your office).
Adam, never get the dreaded error message indicating that you have bad sectors on the disk? Just messing with your mind :)

Once I backup my unreplaceable vinyl onto CD, I plan to store both the raw (with clicks and pops) version and the cleaned-up version on hard disks.

Adam, never get the dreaded error message indicating that you have bad sectors on the disk? Just messing with your mind :)

That's why I said back it up. Luckily, we're at the stage where a second (or third) hard disk or a collection of 800GB tapes is reasonably cheap - probably cheaper than the amount of CD-Rs you would require!

Sounds like you've got it sorted.

Latest posts

Back